Tatoos Or Not?

Business By korkyo Updated 9 Jan 2007 , 4:28am by Zamode

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 87

Hi all, I'm hoping you can give me some honest opinions. My husband and I have a debate going. I will be going into business soon. Full scale legal and everything.

I do not have any tatoos but would like to get one. I want a braclet on my left wrist that is very delicate with two medalions with my kids names in them. I say that tatoos are so main stream that no one will really care. He says no, it's not professional.

Part of this will be personal opinion I know, but what do you think the customer would think?
Thanks for the help.

86 replies
cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 87

I would say it's what you are comfortable with. I wouldn't mind purchasing something from someone with a tatoo. My first impression would be based upon the looks(cleanliness) of the shop. Like you said it is so main stream that I don't even think people would think twice about it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 87

a) main line corporate world...NO way!

b) small business...owner's call...wait that's you!

but consider:

the "blue & purple tint" set will thumbs down it preferring to see real bracelet w/ real charms

young hipsters...won't bat an eye.

boomers (that's me) depends.

AND....

don't know how old you are but the ink spreads (just like our middles!) w/ age

today's fad....tomorrow's passe or worse EEEWWWW!

lots of soldiers/sailors got them in WWII...then they went out of fashion...now back in fashion...fashion is fickle! and having seen an uncles and several other older individuals aged tatoos....NOT a pretty sight after 30+ years

I vote for hubby buying you a very nice sterling silver (the current color fashion --- when I was growing up it was gold) -- or even platinum (so au curant!) braclet w/ charms that have each child's name engraved and maybe even their birthstone. some jewelers may have a laser engraving system that allows them to take a clear high quality photo and laser engrave it on the charm.

delcox3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delcox3 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:00am
post #4 of 87

Tattoos are a very personal choice, but I have several myself. If you think it would look unprofessional, try getting it on your ankle instead. You will still have the same tattoo, it will just be harder to see in the everyday. That is my opinion and I AM a sailor. All of mine are on my back, makes it easy to cover when the environment is conservative. icon_smile.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:04am
post #5 of 87

I don' t think it would matter about a tattoo either if the place is clean. I will add this though. In working on my master's degree in business, we were told that some places would not hire anyone with visible tattoos or facial piercings. The reason for this was that it did not portray a professional appearance.

I, personally don't think anyone would not buy your products just because of a tattoo. I must agree with cocorum.....do whatever you feel comfortable with.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #6 of 87

ok- I just have to put my 2 cents in. I am a tatoo person! I have 17 total! But, none of them are showing without proper clothing. I have some that do show when I wear low cut shirts and some that show if I wear really short sleeve shirts. I LOVE my tatoos!
But, I would never get one that could not be covered. Face, neck, NEVER!!
I think that they are an exprssion of the person that is getting them but to have one in a place that cannot be covered is not a good thing. (IMO)

Also, like Doug said, we do get older and in my case, fatter!
I have one from 15 years ago that was a very pretty rose. Now, I don't know what it is!! icon_lol.gif
And, I will not even talk about the ones in the chest area!!! icon_eek.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:09am
post #7 of 87

Personally I dont care what you put on your body as long as its not in my cake lol I would still buy from you if I liked your product and work ethic. I myself do not like tatoos on woman expecially as they age. My daughter has 2 that I am aware of lol on her back and hip and I cringe ever time I think of them. Fashion statements come and go but tatoos are forever. My husband has one on his shoulder of a Lion and I love it but he says tatoos on women does not turn him on especially if they are visible or large. But as far as from a customer's perspective I dont have a problem with it.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:10am
post #8 of 87

When getting my degree in Business Administration, we were also discouraged from tatoos and/or piercings of tongue, eyebrow, lip, nose, etc. That said, I am a paralegal in a very upscale lawfirm and a small business owner with my cake business and I have two tatoos...shoulder and ankle, and I can show and/or hide them as I need to.

I will say, the tatoos I got years and years ago, now that I'm in my 30's I kind of wish I didn't have.

At any rate, good luck...and go to a really clean tatoo artist! icon_lol.gif

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #9 of 87

I personally would not mind buying a cake from someone who has a tatoo. As long as I know that the cake was made in a clean enviroment. However, working in the food industry for 20 years, It is a no no. I just recently got my tatoo on my shoulder. It is a purple rose with banners that has all 3 of my childrens names on it.

I see tatoos as a work of art. Cake decorators are artists just as tatoo parlors have their artists. As stated before, I think that it would depend on the client and what generation they have come from. JMO

Ann

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:16am
post #10 of 87

I have a tatto and like tattos but I'm not crazy about them on women's arms. The other thing with wrist tattos is that depending on how you are standing and/or holding your arm the tat can be distorted and difficult to decipher what it is.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:18am
post #11 of 87

This is a personal thing. I wouldn't consider putting a tatoo on my body and don't really understand the fascination with them. Before you do something that is PERMANENT, take a look around at the people that have tatoos and see what you think of them and the image they portray. If you don't have any negative reactions, then a tatoo it is. (A nice charm bracelet that you can add charms to, would be more to my taste, a personal opinion, nothing more.) Would it make a difference in whether I bought a cake or not, NO!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:19am
post #12 of 87

I have a few tattoos, all for religious reasons, and plan on getting more. But when working jobs where I deal with all kinds of customers I will always cover my tattoos. I was told in my first job, that I could not go around scaring the old ladies icon_lol.gif and thus no visible tattoos or black nailpolish or facial piercings.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:20am
post #13 of 87

certainly, it is up to you, but I agree with earlier posts that suggested either putting it on your ankle or just getting an actual bracelet instead icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #14 of 87

I don't want to ruffle any feathers or get anyone angry with me, but IMHO I feel that tattoos portray a very unprofessional attitude. If I were lucky enough to open my own bakery I would go professional all the way and stay away from tattoos.

kjackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjackson Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #15 of 87

As a person with a tattoo, I say that's your choice. If you have a portfolio of beautiful cakes.. and yet someone bats an eye you have a tattoo.. they're probably the type you wouldn't be able to please if they did hire you. Tattoos are artistic expression just as cake decorating is. Would they bat an eye if you painted murals as well? JMO.

I believe the "stigma" attached to tattoo's has to do with ones upbringing & how they're percieved. My father had a total of 8 simple design nicely done tattoos, most of which came from around his younger Air Force days. There is a difference between nicely done tattoos and jail house tattoos. LOL Having tattoos doesn't mean a person is dirty.. I mean some of the grungiest looking people with BO you can smell a mile away don't have tattoos, yet a person for instance who's covered head to toe in ink could be a clean freak. JMO

Sorry.. touchy subject for me I guess. icon_razz.gificon_rolleyes.gif

niquealodeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niquealodeon Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:22am
post #16 of 87

OK Im probably not the best person to ask because I love tattoos but I dont think a tattoo bracelet on your wrist is a big deal. As others said, tattoos are more mainstream now and also its not like youre getting a huge skull and crossbones on your forearm. I dont think their should be anything wrong with it at all and I dont think a tattooed bracelet is unprofessional. Good luck on your decision and on your tattoo if you decide to get it icon_razz.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:31am
post #17 of 87

You could always cover the tattoo up with a bracelet or watch if you needed to for work.
I think the reaction to the tattoo all depends on where you live...if its a funkier crowd i wouldn't think it would matter, but if it were a more conservative group then it might be different. Of course i could be totally wrong too.

kjackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjackson Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:36am
post #18 of 87

Awww GE978 I LOOVVEE your doggie!! Saints are sooo cute. Is that your pet? LOL.. sorry to go on about it.. Just had to say I love the avatar. LOL

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:43am
post #19 of 87

I think you should get one if it makes you happy. I would rather see a tatoo than a piece of jewlery because jewlery can fall into your food. Or even collect bacteria that can get into your food you are making.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #20 of 87

OK you asked for honest, so here goes.
I hate tattoos. I get all grossed out at a restaurant if out waitress or waiter have tattoos. I'm sorry, It just look unclean to me. Call me old school, old fashioned, or just plain old, but that is how I feel. I have just turned 50, by the way.( Oooooooh, that was hard to say).

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #21 of 87

I don't think one should have to do with the other. If someone is going to judge your work ethic based on a single tatoo, then let them shop elsewhere. A tatoo doesn't have anything to do with the cleaniness of a person. If a baker had greasy, dirty hair, and smelled bad, well that's another story!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:27am
post #22 of 87

I don't mind tat's because my DH has 3 of them, but even he gets turned off when a woman has one that is visible. I honestly think it's up to you, but remember that a lot of people will the have the preseption of dirtyness no matter how clean you are and others will think it rocks and is cool. As much as I even like them and want one, I think it looks kind of trashy when a woman has one that is visible on her arms or calves and thighs. I'm sorry, I hope that doesn't offend you in anyway just my opinion. I've seen a lot of tat's in the USMC and Make sure you have a good tattoo artist first and foremost and that takes sanitation into practice. Can you tell I've seen more than my share of bad ones?!

I personally would change it into an anklet with the same design but that's me and you have eto do what's right for you

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:27am
post #23 of 87

i think tatoos are completely a matter of personal preference.
that being said, i have one and LOVE it. i got it on a whim when i was 25 and on vacation with my girlfriends in california. it is in a spot that can be covered up by clothing. its a 'tasteful' small butterfly with beautifully colored wings.
IMHO i think tatoos can be done tastefully by making the right decisions on size, location on the body, and design.
certain designs and locations can come across tacky. (again, just my opinion)

i am 32 so i may have a very different opinion than someone 10 or 20 years my senior. but, i think your idea of the charm bracelet is fun and funky. its a form of personal expression and like someone in a previous post said, you could always cover it up with a watch or wear long sleeves if you had a business meeting.

i would go for it! thumbs_up.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:38am
post #24 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson

Awww GE978 I LOOVVEE your doggie!! Saints are sooo cute. Is that your pet? LOL.. sorry to go on about it.. Just had to say I love the avatar. LOL

Thank you!!! Yep, thats my sweetie Chloe icon_razz.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:17am
post #25 of 87

You all are so very helpful! These are the things I wanted to hear.

I'll be turning 40 soon so this is not a fad for me. I may lean twards the ankle idea or a watch that could cover it up. There are some very good points here about the colors bleading on the wrist area and not being able to read it well.

Any more thoughts? I'd love to read them.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #26 of 87

well we are all artist types and people kinda expect us to be a little quirky.

all part of the fun.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:11am
post #27 of 87

I personally think they are ugly. I agree they look dirty, and are a turnoff for me. Anyone that permanently singes their bodies are lacking many things, mostly pride in themselves and being satisfyed with the body you were given. I think it is extremely unprofessional looking, tacky, and what does it say about you as a person? I think of the poor people who have been born with scars and birth marks and deformities that would probably give anything to not be marked..... and then you have those that do not think the human body is beautiful and deface it. What a shame!

niquealodeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niquealodeon Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:32pm
post #28 of 87

Completely have to disagree with cupcake. Im sorry but I dont think of it as defacing your body in any way. Art takes on many forms and I believe tattoos are just another medium. People put holes thru their ears and see it as decorative but still denounce tattoos as destroying the body. Thats absolute hypocrisy. I've also never understood how they can be considered dirty. In what way do they even relate to uncleanliness, especially in this day with all the sanitary precautions that have to be taken. That stigma remains from days past and there are still many who wont let it go. I personally believe tattoos are beautiful. I have two on my back and plan to get many more. I believe when people get tattoos in rememberance and celebration etc. it is a beautiful way to carry with you the memories and accomplishments etc. of a lifetime. So korkyo if you want to get a bracelet honoring your children, I think that it will be beautiful and like others said, if at anytime you need to cover it, for your own sake, a watch or bracelet should do fine. I've never been one to care much what other think especially for something as petty as that. I understand that youre trying to be professional but if your shop is clean and your cakes are beautiful thats all that should matter. Anyone who would pass judgement on you based on your outward appearance (not including cleanliness of course being that you work with food) is not worth your time.

Sorry for the long post, I could probably go on forever. But Im very interested in finding out what you decide. Good Luck!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:46pm
post #29 of 87

some of the best artists in the world are tattoo artists.

like kat on miami ink...i love watching that show...they are amazing.

i google tattoo patterns...to get ideas for drawings on cakes.

sherry4620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry4620 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:54pm
post #30 of 87

As a professional that has two I would advise against it...I have had more customers remark about my tatoos and although they say that is very nice it is the way they say it...I have had them for many years and they are lovely but if I was you and where your at now I would say get it...on your back, thigh no where that can't be covered. That is just my opinion from someone who has them and lives with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%