Is It Rude To Ask The Bride For Pics Of Them With The Cake?

Business By marcus0316 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 6:33am by marcus0316

marcus0316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcus0316 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #1 of 12

Is it rude to ask the bride for pics of them with the cake? If not what's the best way to ask this awkward question?

11 replies
JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #2 of 12

I don't think so. I would just tell them you are trying to build your portfolio and would appreciate a picture of them with the cake. Offer to either pick it up or send them a SASE plus offer to cover the cost of getting the photo printed.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #3 of 12

I don't think it's rude at all! What bride doesn't love to be asked for a picture of herself on her wedding day icon_biggrin.gif

I would just say to her that you would LOVE a picture of the two of them next to the cake to use in your portfolio (I'm assuming that's what it's for). You should def. be proud enough of your product to ask for a picture and just explain to them that you'd LOVE to include them in the picture, since it's such a beautiful wedding!

Either a snapshot or preferably a professional. However, if you ask for the professional you might want to offer (and be prepared) to pay for it since sometimes they can be expensive for the bride. Then again, out of all of that, what's one pic if you REALLY want it? It couldn't cost more than $20 right?

Hope you get your picture!!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:38am
post #4 of 12

I don't think so. When my sister got married, given we had know the cake decorator for years, the maker asked my dad and sister to pose with the cake. She took the picture and sent us a copy. (It was a great picture - my dad stood next to the cake holding out his empty pockets. Funny!)

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:41am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I don't think so. When my sister got married, given we had know the cake decorator for years, the maker asked my dad and sister to pose with the cake. She took the picture and sent us a copy. (It was a great picture - my dad stood next to the cake holding out his empty pockets. Funny!)

that is hilarious thumbs_up.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 12

I don't think that it's rude at all - I actually send out a letter thanking them for using my services, and asking for a photo of them cutting the cake for my portfolio (at their convenience). In the letter, I also offer a gift certificate for bookings I get from their referrals. I've found that I get lots of photos, and quite a few referrals this way!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I don't think that it's rude at all - I actually send out a letter thanking them for using my services, and asking for a photo of them cutting the cake for my portfolio (at their convenience). In the letter, I also offer a gift certificate for bookings I get from their referrals. I've found that I get lots of photos, and quite a few referrals this way!

Ditto! I just started but I'm doing the same thing. And my brides so far have offered pictures. They understand that you are trying to build a portfolio and stuff.

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 12

Definitely ask the Bride for a picture of her with the cake!

Also ask her for her other vendors contact info- ( Florist, Photographer)

Contact the photographer- alot will be happy to give you a professional pic - either for mutual referrals or a very small price (it's worth it for a professional pic!)

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 12

marcus0316,

Don't be silly, ofcouse is not Rude at all they should be happy that you are asking for there pic , and if she ask you why just say that your building your own photo albul porfolio of all the cakes you done.

Hope you get your pic

Michelle thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 12

Not rude at all. I usually get the name of the photographer and offer to buy the pic. Most photographers will happily give you a photo for free if you credit them for the photo on your website. I've never had a bride decline her OK to put their pic on the website. Most are thrilled to be able to tell their friends "Look! I'm on the caterers website!!!" One photographer sent me an entire DVD with about 10-12 pics on it.....for free.

A marketing expert also told me it's best to show pics of people enjoying your product. YOu never see a brochure of a pic of an empty hot tub .... they are always shown with people in the hot tub having a great time in it!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 12

I do not ask the bride, but rather the photographer. It's easier. I even had one call me last week and tell me she's referring some brides to me because she got to taste the cake she shot (white w/ black scrolls posted here) and loved it so much! She is emailing them to me, which means it costs her and the bride $0! icon_smile.gif Then if I want prints, I can make them at my expense.

marcus0316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcus0316 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:33am
post #12 of 12

I really appreciate everyone helping me out. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%