Christmas Gifts For Teachers....

Lounge By mmdd Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 3:20pm by mmdd

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 33

I don't know what to get her!!!! She's my sons kindergarten teacher and she's been wonderful! She's a great teacher and she really cares......can anyone give me some ideas, that aren't too costly???

I'd really like to get her something other than a frame, mug, candle, etc.

If you have any sites, those would be helpful too.

TIA!!

32 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 33

My oldest (2nd grade) wants cookie bouquets for his teachers. I'm fine with that, there are 4 so buying stuff adds up.

I'm doing them in mugs.

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 33

I agree with mbelgard. Something like the cookie bouquet would be a great idea. Last year I made a gift basket for the teachers and a couple of things that I put in it were decorated cookies (NFS and gingerbread), cocoa cones, and a mug. You can make it as big or as small as you want and it still looks cute. HTH

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 33

a personalized mini photo album

stationary - small gift basket with paper, envelopes, blank cards, note pad, pretty pens, etc. (target has really cool, modern designs if you think she'd like that style)

a snowglobe (target has some really pretty ones)

bath and body works antibacterial soap or hand gel. (bath and body works has a sale on their antibacterial products often)

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 33

We did a "stamp" basket one year, along with some cookies and other goodies. She loved it, becasue she uses the stamps on the kids papers! I had gotten the stamps at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off so it was a GREAT deal!

For my son's kindy teacher, we got a picture ornament and he drew a picture of him and her and we put it in the ornament, and of course sent in goodies too.

This year, for one teacher we are doing a gift card. Not sure for the other.

Tina

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:31am
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakerator

a personalized mini photo album

stationary - small gift basket with paper, envelopes, blank cards, note pad, pretty pens, etc. (target has really cool, modern designs if you think she'd like that style)

a snowglobe (target has some really pretty ones)

bath and body works antibacterial soap or hand gel. (bath and body works has a sale on their antibacterial products often)

these are all great ideas, along with gift cards & baked goods---just please don't get them candles, frames or mugs (just like u said u didn't want to) my aunt is a teacher & she gets sooooooooo much of this stuff that she finally had to start recycling them by giving them as gifts to church friends & family members....

i love this thread -- i need help w/DS 6th grade teachers

DD made her teacher a pottery vase when we were CO.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #7 of 33

as a teacher (of now 30 years) my view:

death to: mugs, frames, ornaments, candles, any kind of stink-um, and things w/ personalization by the child (after 30 years just how would I display ALL that???), gift cards to places I'd never shop at (this varies...but really now...does every woman want to live in Bath & Body Works? -- my sis has expressly forbidden anything thing being bought from there for her!)

YES to:
>> gift cards to unexpected places such as:

• -- the local teacher supply store --- there are so many goodies there I'd love to get to make the classroom even nicer but....well....my budget just won't allow. (this has double whammy of showing appreciation and helping her/him help the students too)
    -- or to a really nice sit-down restaurant! or a gift certif for maid service or laundry service
    -- or...some other personal service....With all the grading and lesson planning and family and school meetings....well, 'nuf said!
    >> the local bookstore
    >> local take-out restaurants for "those" days!
    >> something that plays to teacher's unique interest/hobby -- for me, one of the neatest gifts I ever received was a ticket to a Broadway show -- after all I am a drama teacher/adviser and that show's memory will be with me long after any chatchka will be.

>> homemade goodies! (as if that would be a stretch for any of us!)

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:08am
post #8 of 33

we can get scripts at my daughters school for teachers in the dollar amount of $5 or $10 they are like a gift card redeamable at about 20 stores and 15 restaurants. That really helps me out but since you didn't mention this option I'll suggest: a cookie bouque, or gift jar filled with different mixes and a small note attached explaining what to add ---might just be helping her out with some holiday baking.-- a small gift card to the mall, certain store or restaurant. I like the idea of some items for the class room that was mentioned too! I agree that teachers get a lot of mugs and bath and body works plus candles, my friends are overloaded with these items.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:47am
post #9 of 33

Since most teachers do spend some of their own money, I asked my son's teacher where she shops and she told me walmart, target, dollar tree. So I got her a gift card to walmart.

I bought my youngest son's day care provider a gift card to Dunkin Donuts since he told me that she drinks coffee.

Considering that my children are in their care for about 6-7 hours each day I don't mind spending a little extra.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:58am
post #10 of 33

i would think nicely scented anti-bacterial hand lotion or soaps would be useful... especially in the winter when all the little noses are dripping with schnoogies.

if i was a teacher, i'd be wearing an anti-bacterial pump dispenser on my back like a back pack! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
and there'd be a slight mist of antibacterial gel emitted from the classroom ceiling every 2 minutes (like in the produce section of the supermarket)
... fridays would be "decorate your little white breathing masks day"

just kidding icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...well, kind of icon_confused.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:01am
post #11 of 33

I always give gift cards to
Starbucks
Target
The Mall
Popular restaurants in town

and then do personalized cookies for each child and the teachers (don't forget any assistants)

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 33

Remember that not all teachers want goodies! icon_cry.gif

My daughter's teacher loves them, my son's asked "Please, no more goodies, I'm trying to lose weight."

However, a plate of goodies that won't go bad quickly could be sent, and they can use it for their holiday get-togethers, since teachers are so busy as it is.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #13 of 33

It's true, teachers don't want perfumes, bath stuff, mugs, frames, candles, or Nick-Nacks.

Teachers like gift certificates, especially for bookstores. Most teachers also like goodies to eat.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 33

Our PTA gets a list of "favorites" of each teacher so the home room moms can send a list home of things the teacher might actually like - this includes favorite snacks, colors, sport teams, restaurants, authors, etc.

We also encourage parents to buy books for the teacher's classroom - books that he or she can read to the class - often from the teacher's wish list at our school book fairs.

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 33

I have a picture in my photos of what I gave to the teachers last year. My dd's teacher told me in June last year that she had put the cookies from the bouquet in the freezer because they were too nice to eat(her father wouldn't let her eat them LOL). She is teaching my other dd this year so not sure if I want to give her any more cookies to not eat LOL. For the end of the year last year, I gave each teacher a Chapter's gift card. Will probably give goodies this year but not sure what yet.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 33

My mom was a teacher for years so I know they don't need all that little "crap" that they tend to get. I just get them a visa gift card. The minimum is a little high, $25. But this way they can use it anywhere for anything they want or need. I think in the past they have always been appreciated. DD is in K now, so I plan to do the same thing. I get them at my bank and they come with a nice box and ribbon. They look so festive. They do run out of them towards Christmas time though, so I have to get there soon.

juro1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juro1234 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #17 of 33

I work at a school and all of the teachers always love food. Since cakeballs are the best thing ever I am giving them along with sugar cookies for my youngest sons teachers. Even if they don't want to eat them, they have families who will.

mmdd Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:04am
post #18 of 33

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas!!

I really appreciate them!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:16am
post #19 of 33

I must admit and I can't believe I am saying this now that I LOVE to bake but I was a teacher for 8 years and I was so grossed out by homebaked goods from the kids icon_eek.gif I just never knew what their kitchen looked like or how clean they were at home icon_confused.gif I hope that doesn't sound rude. I worked my bunns off as a teacher would have loved a little "me" gift. I think gift cards are great, just try to get a feeling for what stores they might like.

I agree, the kiss of death to a teacher are ornaments, mugs, homemade perfume (yes it happened to me and it was BLUE icon_confused.gif ) anything with an apple on it and knick knacks.

Just let them know you appreicate them and didn't just recycle something. Most times kids spend more time with their teacher than at home icon_wink.gif

mmdd Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 33

BLUE perfume??? Hmm....well, I guess that's one of thos times where the thought counts, right?

So.......I'm sitting here thinking how long it took you to throw it away, lol!!!

bigboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigboots Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:49pm
post #21 of 33

What about a gift card for a night at the movies.

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 33

My daughter is in skill class which has a teacher and 2 teacher assistants. Trying to buy a decent gift for them can be quite expensive. I feel that the assistants work just as hard at the teacher in this class, so I treat them the same. This year I decided that, they probably get so much junk that they can't wait to get home to throw it away, and I also thought, they don't know what my kitchen looks like and may or may not eat my food gifts (or was I just being lazy and decided I didn't want to spend the time making treat, LOL). Anyway, I found a pkg of Ferrer Rocher (the chocolate hazelnut candy that they always advertise during the holidays) for $2 each (12 in a pack), I added a hand cream and some really good lip balm from bath and body works. I put these in a gift bag and I'm calling it a day.

edited to add the total cost: Candy $2 (on sale, normally $3 each)
hand cream $1 (on sale normally $3 each)
lip balm $2.31 (Found a pack of 8 for $18.50 and decided to split it out among a few different gifts) I spent less than around $16 for all 3 gift sets.

mmdd Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:54pm
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainee

Anyway, I found a pkg of Ferrer Rocher (the chocolate hazelnut candy that they always advertise during the holidays) for $2 each, I added a hand cream and some really good lip balm. I put these in a gift bag and I'm calling it a day.

That is a great idea!!! What woman doesn't use lotion?!?!?!?

Alltogether he has 3 teachers...kind. is only required for 1/2 day in this county or is it this state? I dont remember now, but they go to the teacher for 1/2 of the day and then an I.A. (instructional aide) for the other 1/2 of the day.....and then there's an aide that helps the teacher and the I.A., so...........I was wanting to get them all 3 something and I really like that idea................lip balm is pretty handy at this time of year, too!

I love all of the ideas and I really appreciate them all....I'm glad I started this thread, it's helped me out a lot....maybe it can help someone else out too!!!

SueW Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:06pm
post #24 of 33

mmdd,

To throw away the perfume it took me as long as it took me to pull into my garage next to the garbage cans icon_smile.gif I don't mean to sound rude, he was cute and so excited to give it to me but when he told me it was "homemade" perfume I called it a day icon_razz.gif

I think the lip balm/lotion idea is great! Personally i LOVE bath and body works so I always start there for gifs, especially if there is a sale thumbs_up.gif Their pump hand soaps are great, who wouldn't like antibacterial anything this time of year icon_smile.gif

daltonam Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:29pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

I agree, the kiss of death to a teacher are ornaments, mugs, homemade perfume (yes it happened to me and it was BLUE icon_confused.gif ) anything with an apple on it and knick knacks.

so maybe my DD shouldn't give her teacher the painted pottery vase she did on vacation icon_confused.gif i wasn't thinking & we put her (the teacher's) name on it, but i would prefer to have it then to know someone threw it away--reading this i could now understand it's not her child, why would she want it---even with her name on it, i might should try to talk my DD out of giving it to her, i was also going to get her a gift card too, so i might just do that & nothing else icon_sad.gif

SueW--i didn't post to be neg towards you, i'm VERY greatful for what you said, i had already said do give this & don't gave that--but i wasn't thinking about what we WERE giving icon_smile.gif

SueW Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:36pm
post #26 of 33

daltonam

Oh daltonam now I feel terrible icon_redface.gif I didn't mean to make you feel bad about what you were giving, I am sorry. If you DD has her heart set on giving the vase then I say definatly go for it thumbs_up.gif It truly is the thought that counts and I'd feel awful if I thought your DD would then feel like her teacher didn't want it icon_cry.gif I was just going by some of the crazy things that were given to me and I ended up with no more room in my house.
Oh I am sorry if you feel bad about what you are giving because of me icon_sad.gif

mmdd Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:55pm
post #27 of 33

Tara...why don't you and dd get some green floral tape, fake flowers (or make some out of the craft foam) and inkpens and.....styrofoam..

You could wrap the pens in the green tape attach a flower to the end and there she always has pens!....take off the caps and insert into the styrofoam.

(Edited to add more info.)

mmdd Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 33

oh...btw....I think blue perfume is quite different than a vase.

daltonam Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:

daltonam

Oh daltonam now I feel terrible icon_redface.gif I didn't mean to make you feel bad about what you were giving, I am sorry. If you DD has her heart set on giving the vase then I say definatly go for it thumbs_up.gif It truly is the thought that counts and I'd feel awful if I thought your DD would then feel like her teacher didn't want it icon_cry.gif I was just going by some of the crazy things that were given to me and I ended up with no more room in my house.
Oh I am sorry if you feel bad about what you are giving because of me icon_sad.gif

no no--please don't feel bad, of course, if she wants to give it to her, i'll let her, but really, as a teacher she isn't going to want it & i've always prided myself in giving something that could be used, but i do have a feeling she's gonna want to give it to her anyway--but y'all should see it--she's 6 & it's super funny looking

i'll attach a picture of it

this was before it was glazed

mmdd--you're right it's not blue perfume, that stuff would have never touched my skin-lol

filling it with school supplies or something is a good idea

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:18pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:

I must admit and I can't believe I am saying this now that I LOVE to bake but I was a teacher for 8 years and I was so grossed out by homebaked goods from the kids icon_eek.gif I just never knew what their kitchen looked like or how clean they were at home icon_confused.gif

I hear you on this! I can't buy food at bake sales, either, mainly because I have a compromised immune system, and have seen kids with green snot coming out of their noses, helping in kitchens at home. And I've been to too many houses with cats on the counters while the person is cooking. YUK!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%