25 Days And Now She Complains....

Decorating By Shaela Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 3:13pm by Shaela

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 23

It has been 35 days since I did this bride's wedding... and now she wants to know what happened with all her cheesecakes for her wedding... I feel awful because though I remember her and her location and all... I hardly remember what her order was being as I have done several weddings since... so here is the story...

In the beginning she ordered cheesecakes for 140. Total of 9-10" cheesecakes. She wanted two of the 10" on the Wilton Floating Tier Stand along with a 6" cheesecake topper. On the top layer she wanted a Bride and Groom strawberry. The other layers would have ribbon around them. She thought she might like the ones on the stand topped in fresh fruit. Ok. So, I wrote the estimate without the fresh fruit topping... She also wanted a fondant iced grooms cake with the Polish Flag on it...

Done deal.

Four weeks before the wedding... I send her my usual run down of what I have on file and what is still needed info wise, payment, etc.

She tells me that they no longer want the grooms cake... they want to transfer the cost of that to the fresh fruit topping. Ok. And they want to add that extra cheesecake that would have been the grooms cake to the number to get 11 cheesecakes.... ok. So, I send her a new final figure for payment.

Fast forward to two weeks before the wedding... she e-mails wanting to know what she still owes me... icon_confused.gif . But, her mom had already sent the check and paid for it. So, I tell her so...

She e-mails back that she is confused and wants to clarify... and oh, by the way... "I don't need your stand any more I am borrowing stands for all the cheesecakes".

Ok.

A few days later... she drops off ribbon. There is a ton of it! I am thinking.... all this ribbon for three cheesecakes. So, I contact her and ask.... "are you wanting ALL the cheesecakes wrapped in ribbon?". She tells me she does... I did not charge her for this... though I would normally have done so but at this point... she has expressed confusion... and I don't want to add to it. so... ok.

A few days after that I get an e-mail saying that they now need to serve 160 and not 140 and needs to add cheesecakes.... ok. So, I do that. And I did not receive payment for those until just a few days before the wedding...

The week of the wedding I spend hours baking... slicing, topping, ribbon wrapping, and delivering the cheesecakes. When I get to the reception site... the caterer tells me that dinner is an hour and a half later than I was told that it was... ok. So, I ask if they can refrigerate them until just before dessert. They agree and we put them in the fridge. The caterer said they would set them out... ok. AND, I did not charge her a delivery fee even though I normally would have to this location!!!

So today... I get an e-mail... she wants to know why there was no ribbon on her cakes and why they all weren't topped with fresh fruit (uh, because the cost of icing the grooms cake would not have covered that)..... she wants to know why delivery and set up weren't carried out!!! AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

Some times these people make you think you are insane... really. I started thinking about the wedding and what I did and didn't do.. After analyzing it.... I decided that she got more than her money's worth out of me... I offered a coupon for a free cheesecake... just to ease whatever pain she thought she was feeling... I really felt like she was trying to get something for nothing...

Anyhow, I know this is long.... sorry. Just needed to vent....

Thanks for reading...

22 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 23

I don't think you owe her anything as it sounds like she moved the serving time and does she not realize that cheesecakes need to be refrigerated???? I would not have wanted to have them set out for almost two hours before people start eating them! It was beyond your control that you could not set them up on the tables, and you DID deliver them for free so I do not understand her complaint!! Just another bride that probably has a utility bill to pay and thinks she can get a refund out of you!! Don't do it!!! I would give her a 50% off coupon but not a complete freebie! She has already sucked the well dry!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 23

Now, I am confused ! Did she not get all the cheesecakes that you delivered, or just what is her complaint ?

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 23

My goodness! icon_surprised.gif What is this girl thinking? I am sorry you had to give up yet another cheesecake to this lady but you have made a good choice. The more I hear from my fellow CC members about "changes" and complaints it makes me want to put every little word in writing, have it initialed, signed, sealed, notarized and filed in a safe deposit box! icon_cool.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 23

Vent away.....

Really 35 days and she is just getting back with you? That is rediculous to say the least. Did you keep copies of your invoices and what you did and did not charge for and what everything cost to show her. I am not sure I would offer even a free coupon on this. You went above and beyond the call of duty since they did not give you all the correct info from the beginning. Just let her know that you delivered without charging your usual del fee and that you brought them at the time they originally specified but the dinner was moved so THEY stored the cheesecakes for you and set them out. You can't be expected to stay the extra time to do the set up when they told you the incorrect time.

Some people....just don't know about them....

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 23

So basically she bounced around all over the place with what she wanted before the wedding, and now that she is back from her honeymoon and settling into married life, she is looking back over the wedding details and seeing what she can complain about. I'm sure she has taken back all of the gifts she didn't want, and now she's decided to blame you for what she hopes she can pin on you. I'm sure she probably has calls in to the florist and the caterer, too, about what they all "did wrong". It sounds like this woman needs to get a life. Would she have been happier if you had left cheesecakes sitting out for hours and made all her guests sick? Geez!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 23

Wow... that sounds like one complicated order! Although 25/35 days is a long time to wait to complain, she might of been on a long honeymoon (I'd be so jealous!) or else just finally saw the pictures of the cake!

Was her email complaining or rude or bitter? Maybe there was a complication at the site after you left and somehow the caterer had to remove the ribbon? Maybe the caterer didn't set it up right? I would check with the caterer to see what did or did not happen.

Also, I'm confused... you said:

Quote:
Quote:

She tells me that they no longer want the grooms cake... they want to transfer the cost of that to the fresh fruit topping. Ok.

and then

Quote:
Quote:

she wants to know why ... they all weren't topped with fresh fruit (uh, because the cost of icing the grooms cake would not have covered that).....

Was it possible that she was confused when that was added to the bill? That all the cakes would be covered?

Just trying to see if she is the one confused and you did the right thing..... sounds like a major communication nightmare! icon_cry.gif

But what heartache! I feel for you.. sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind! eeks!

I think when/if I get into the business all changes to the contract will have to be finalized 30 days before the wedding to prevent this. I don't think I could handle it!

Are you going to respond to her?

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 23

i am confused too...the total cheesecakes she wanted was 11 and when she brought you the ribbion...you said "all this ribbon for three?" so how many cheesecakes did she get??? wow i don't know how you are not confused either...hahahahaha!!!!

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 23

been there done that. in aug. i ave a bride back here 50.00 deposit she try to really get over her cake was 265.00 then she wanted to change her order and it took the price up to 413.00 cascading flowers gum paste at that and she made such a fuss over it i gave her back her deposit the first time i every gave money back but she was an headache for real. later hte wedding planner calls me to see if i would still make her cake and i to;d her i would not do it if she ofter me 1,000.00 i guess she found someone to nag but not me.

i think you went out your way for her and she was that. so she thought she could take advantage of you. hang in there because there are some sweet brides and don't let a few bad apples spoil it for every one else.

Shaela Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 23

Ok... to clarify...

on the ribbon... initially the ribbon was supposed to only go on the three cheesecakes on the stand.... no others. That is why I was surprised by the sheer volume of ribbon she supplied.

On the fruit topping... initially she was uncertain about it... but wanted a grooms cheesecake iced like the Polish Falcon/Flag. She canceled that but wanted to add that cheesecake to the original number sans icing. She wanted the icing cost transferred to top the cakes on the stand with fresh fruit from what I could ascertain. I note in my e-mail to her running down EVERYTHING that the fresh fruit would be for the three cheesecakes on the stand. So, she wanted 11 cheesecakes topped with fresh fruit... for $40? I don't know what you guys pay for fresh produce... but, here it gets expensive. The fresh fruit topping she wanted for 11 cheesecakes would have cost me more than $40.

I am not sure about the caterer and what happened there...

Makes ya want to give it all up.... and become a hermit.

Shaela Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 23

Crislen...

I did respond to her... I am awaiting her reply. I basically told her that I was unsure just what she was talking about. And I told her that I spent hours topping and ribbon wrapping her cakes. I explained about delivery and how dinner was later than I was told. And the caterer said they would take care of them... I even went over how ribbon wrapping takes time and I would have ordinarily built that into the cost along with the delivery charges to that area... but as a courtesy to her... I did not include those charges. And I offered her a coupon for a free cheesecake. I told her I was sincerely sorry she was dissatisfied and that I hoped all the other parts of her day went well...

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 23

It sounds like you are handling this professionally and courteously. Please keep us posted.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

So basically she bounced around all over the place with what she wanted before the wedding, and now that she is back from her honeymoon ... she is looking back over the wedding ... and seeing what she can complain about. I'm sure she has taken back all of the gifts she didn't want, ... I'm sure she probably has calls in to the florist and the caterer, too, about what they all "did wrong"... Geez!

There's a word for Brides like this: BRIDEZILLA! icon_evil.gif

Send her a nice, efficient, to-the-point letter (NOT an e-mail):

Dear Bride,

I am so happy to hear that you are back from your honeymoon safe and sound. Your questions do concern me, however, as I am confident I provided you with everything you requested and more. Following is a breakdown of your order as my records show:

Original order: 9 (10") cheesecakes to feed 140 [2 on garden stand + 6" cheesecake topper, each wrapped in ribbon, with bride & groom berries on top]
1 groom's cake - fondant icing/Polish flag

Your changes:

a. (put date here) eliminate groom's cake; apply the cost to topping the cakes on the stand with fresh fruit, add one additional cheesecake.* New total to be paid: $_____________

b. (put date here) - via e-mail: request from Bride for final payment figure; Mother of Bride has already paid final amount, advised of same

c. (put date here) via e-mail: confusion from Bride, wishes to clarify order, advises no stand necessary; stands are being borrowed/provided for cheesecakes.

d. (put date here) Ribbon dropped off by Bride. Too much for 3 cheesecakes; contact made to Bride who advises she would like all of the cheesecakes wrapped in ribbon. **

e. (put date here) e-mail received indicating that Bride now requires 160 servings of cheesecake, please add to order. Total now due for additional cheesecakes: $______________ [paid _____(date)_____ by (method)]

f. (date here) drop off order to ______________ (site) ***. Advised by caterer that dinner has been rescheduled to occur 90 minutes later than previously advised. Request caterer hold cheesecakes in fridge until just before serving. Caterer agrees and offers to set out cheesecakes.

Please make note of the following:

* the additional cost for fresh fruit topping on the cheesecakes would have been $____ for all of the cakes. As we originally discussed, that figure was not included in the original pricing because you were not certain you wanted it. The fact that you were cancelling the groom's cake and adding one cheesecake left only enough $$ to provide for fresh fruit topping on the cheesecakes on the stand as we had discussed in our meeting of __________(date).

** normally I would have charged you an additional $____ to wrap all the cheesecakes in ribbon, but I did not. This was a labor-intensive and time-consuming project for which I was not compensated but gladly provided so you could present the image you wished to project on your wedding day.

*** generally I would have charged you a delivery fee to this location of $____, which was also not charged.

While I understand that your wedding day is very stressful and incredibly expensive, please be understanding that the myriad of changes you requested of me were provided to the very best of my ability. It was my understanding that you and I were on the same wavelength at the time. As for your indication that the cheesecakes were not all wrapped with the ribbon you had provided, please be aware that I did not have any control over how the caterer chose to present the cakes. The ribbon was on the cakes at delivery, but as cheesecake is an incredibly delicate product and requires refrigeration, it was necessary to have your caterer handle the presentation of the cakes as I was unable to do so when advised at the last minute of the change in time for your dinner.

I hope that this clarifies my position for you and that you can now fully understand what you were charged and what was paid. You will find enclosed copies of all e-mails and the estimate we came to on _____________ (date) when you and I met as supporting documentation for my pricing.

I trust you will be satisfied with my explanation; please call me if there is anything you do not still understand.

Sincerely,

Your Cake Baker

And call it a day.

Sorry this happened to you; we all get them from time to time. Some are just more nasty at a later date than others.

HTH,

Odessa

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 23

jesh... definitely sounds like the bride is seriously confused on what happened! If it was all outlined for her before the wedding then you are at no fault. It was super nice of you to offer her a replacement cheesecake!

And yup... fruit is expensive, it nice of you anyways to accomodate all of her last minute changes!!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:02am
post #15 of 23

give it up for aobodessa! That sounded awesome! I don't know how you came up with that "speech" to give this nasty bride but it sounded fabulous!
Shaela- this bride is just nasty I think I would take aobodessa's advice, mail it to her, and try to put it out of your mind.

Shaela Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 23

Thank you all for your support... I know that I can always count you on all to make me feel better...

aobodessa- I love it!!! Thank you... I think I will do that!

I will update when I hear from her!!!

Thanks again!!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:19pm
post #17 of 23

I think something got lost in the communication....thats the problem sometimes with conversing through email. I would have asked her about the ribbon to make sure how many cheesecakes she wanted to use it for...also, when she asked you how much more she owed you, that should have been a discussion. I think sometimes our customers have it worked out in their head what they want, but it doesn't always make it out clearly.

While i agree that she is getting back to you late, maybe she just got her pictures & is confused.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 23

A discussion followed up by email so that it's all IN WRITING on what was agreed to in the phone conversation, so there isn't any "I said you said" conversations later.

This documentation is why I do 99% of my 'conversations' via email.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:04pm
post #19 of 23

I'm so sorry all this happened to you.
When I read your post three questions came to my mind.
1. Did you leave the cheesecakes there and the caterer was supposed to put them out?
2. If so, Was the fruit topping already on them or was she supposed to put it on before they were served?
3. Did she know the ribbon was supposed to stay on them or did she possibly thnk it was to hold them until serving time?
If any of these 3 things happened I would contact the caterer.
Jibbies

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 23

Snail mail the letter aobodessa wrote to the bride and then let it go.

Shaela Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #21 of 23

Still no word from her........

Jibbies...

To #1: Yes, and the caterer understood that they were to be set out "buffet style".

To #2: The fruit topping was on them.

To #3: Noway... I explained they were "decoration" that the Bride requested...

Indydeb....

I do 99% via e-mail and have all of them... I have a file on my computer that has each and every e-mail sent AND received for the last year and a half... I agree... I need written confirmation of EVERYTHING. And I do have ALL of her e-mails.... should I need them.

I also follow up each phone call with an e-mail saying exactly what we discussed in changes for the wedding/event.

I even had to add a line to my contract about liability and when ours stops. Stating that after we leave the reception site we have NO control over what happens to the cakes and we are not liable. Also, at the initial consultation I always state (for the past four years) "that is it best if the cheesecakes can be refrigerated at the facility and set out just after dinner is served". And, I offer... "if there is no available refrigeration, I can lend you my coolers and ice packs". And there is a line about the rent of said equipment and replacement cost should they not be returned. Geezzz.... my contract is getting mighty longgggg winded.........

Thanks again for all your support and advice.... icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #22 of 23

Wow!!! It sounds to me like this bridezilla began receiving her wedding and honeymoon bills and is trying to get money from you. What a piece of work.
icon_evil.gif
I hope her new DH can afford her and records every conversation he has with her. Otherwise, he doesn't stand a chance. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Shaela Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 3:13pm
post #23 of 23

As of today... still no word... must be I gently put her in her place... or... she's hiring a lawyer icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%