Caution Online Business Cards

Decorating By rshippo Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm by mocakes

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 21

Hi
I was just searching the net for info on business cards. i checked out vistaprint as I had seen a few people recomend it on this site. in the process of hunting I came across the consumeraffairs report site where there were several bad reviews of extra charges made on peoples credit cards especially by people who had clicked on special offers.
This has made me rethink getting my cards from there and I thought I should bring it to fellow CC attention.
Of course it could be nothing but personally when something is on a consumer affairs site there is usually something behind it.
If anyone wants to check it out go to www.consumeraffairs.com/online/vistaprint.html

20 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 21

Thanks for doing the research. I will be sure to check out the consumer affairs website. Thanks

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 21

THANK YOU!!!! My husband was getting ready to order some business cards from them. He held off from doing so. He said" I'm not sure about this company. let's wait & check it out."
I will show him this link. Be blessed for your work in finding this link.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 21

Edited to remove my comments after looking at the link given.

I won't do business with them anymore either.

icon_sad.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 21

I have used Vista Print before a few times - had some great Save The Date calendar magnets made at a great price for a recent wedding. Also have done business cards from them. I have never had a problem, I think it would be safe to use them, just watch where you click I guess. they have great prices and are easy to use.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 21

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick response re: business cards. I seriously gave Vistaprint a thought but instead gave the business to my oldest daughter who BTW made some very elegant cards for me with Microsoft Publisher. She also used the same pattern to make my brochure. The 80 lb. paper I used was $10.00 for 100 sheets and the business cards on sale were $7.95 for 200. The best part of all of this is she can print me more as needed and she did an outstanding job. I'm planning on giving her a "perk" after a few orders!! My business name is "A Cut Above". If you are familiar with Microsoft Publisher it is very "user friendly".

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 21

I have been using vistaprint for five years and have never had a problem. The situation that occurs with double charges is noted on vistaprint to only click once for submitting order. Also, you have to watch to make sure your special offers do not expire. But I have not had a problem. I had one bad order where the printing was misaligned, but they resent it to me free of charge. I think they are a great company!

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 21

I will also say that Jackie and I have used Vistaprint many times with no problems at all.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 21

Thank you for posting this--it is something for me to keep in mind. I have done business with them for my business cards and large postcards for my classes. I have never had a problem with them at all. I have even ordered from their free offers--the large postcards--and was not charge a huge shipping fee--just the standard. I will continue to do business with them unless they do something to me personally to make me choose otherwise.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 21

I guess I should've looked at the link first - but did people say if VistaPrint refunded the money if they were double-charged? If they did then it might have just been those own people's faults for clicking twice. Especially if they were on dial-up and impatient. I've used VistaPrint before and know of several others who have too. It's just that they get you on those shipping charges.... I think they're quite expensive. And if you get the cheapo cards, they put "vistaprint" on the back of the card...... it wasn't a big deal to me then but if you have a more professional business, then it looks a little tacky. But I don't think you should be "afraid" to order from them. They've certainly been around for awhile and have been popular for a reason... if there were that many people upset with them and that many people charged extra things, would they still be in business??

Okay so now I went back and read the consumer reports stuff - truly, if you pay attention to your credit card statement, if you see a charge that you did not authorize, you can call the cc company and have them issue a "charge back". If you really didn't authorize it, this punishes the company b/c the company still has to pay processing fees. You get your money back and you punish the company. However, I would note that people need to be extra careful about what "checkboxes" are checked whenever they enter their information anywhere on the Internet.... make SURE you aren't signing up for something - if you're not looking, and the company assumes you want to be signed up for something b/c you clicked on it - then whose fault is it really? The company has a link that you clicked on, filled out information, and said "yes I want this" (b/c you didn't uncheck the box) and they send you what you asked for..... as a consumer, you just need to be aware of where your money is going and what you're signing up for....... as for people getting extra junk mail and such - I"m not sure that's Vistaprint's fault.... we don't know their other Internet habits like if they've ever ordered anything online from any other place - or if they've left their cc somewhere that people could have had access to it or something like that - it may not be Vistaprint. Just be aware of what you're clicking and if you're charged for something you didn't want, charge it back.

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 21

I have also ordered from VistaPrint, twice ....have never had a problem. This post did make me realize though, that I should probably research a company a bit before I just go and order business cards! I've been happy with them so far though.

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 21

Hi
The reason i posted this topic was just so people could have the information that I just stumbled across.
I am sure alot of people have had no problems at all thus why they are still in business, and as I haven't used them I wouldn't know about their company being good, bad or indifferent.

It just didn't seem right to come across this information and not pass it on for people to make up their own minds.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshippo

Hi
The reason i posted this topic was just so people could have the information that I just stumbled across.
I am sure alot of people have had no problems at all thus why they are still in business, and as I haven't used them I wouldn't know about their company being good, bad or indifferent.

It just didn't seem right to come across this information and not pass it on for people to make up their own minds.

sometimes you have to do your homework and do some research before you share something that could hurt a business. That's a bit irresponsible.

I too have used VistaPrint..and only 1 problem with missalignment and I got the order replaced free of charge.

I take advantage of ALL the specials when I order my business cards..I have gotten up to 1,000 cards at a time for less than 20 bucks..I use my cards a lot! lol

I NEVER click on ANY of the offers when I check out because THAT is where they get you!!

I'm thinking they lose money when the offer the cards but they make it all back when you order the extras!!

MHO

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks for the info, rshippo! I've heard of VistaPrint, but have yet to use them. I know of many folks who have used them and had no problems - but that doesn't mean squat to the person who feels cheated by the company. icon_smile.gif Ever heard of Tracfone? A classic example.....(without trying to get off topic - let's not start a Tracfone bashing post)

Eeyore16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eeyore16 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 21

I have used VistaPrint and never had a problem with them. I order my printed and personalized holiday cards with them and my busisness cards and I was very pleased.
One time I double clicked on my order and was charged twice and called immediately (minutes after the order) and they gave me a refund.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 21

I'm guilty of not reading all the posts here but I did read a few...

I had considered Vista Print for my business cards until I saw that they add their company info somewhere on the cards unless you pay for the really expencive ones.....

I want to add in that I make my own business cards with Microsoft Publisher and yes it is very easy! I went to walmart and staples and bought some heavy duty business cards, I bought the Avery brand because it's heavy dutier (is that even a word lol) then the other one offered at my local stores.

I had a friend of mine who is wonderful with image programs offer to make me a "Logo" for my company (my avatar is a smaller version). I size it down to fit on the business card and put in my info, and set the printing settings up to the paper being used and go to town! It's fun to create your own because you don't have to worry about someone else putting advertisments on your cards and heck you could even make the back of them a calendar as Vista offers. Just take the printed sheet of cards reinsert the opposite side and print out a small calendar.

I've laminated a few of my cards as well as bought the magnetic backing for business cards and made a few into magnets for friends and family. Everyone loves them because they are pretty and are useful especially for those with youngin's in the house who like to draw and pin up on the fridge icon_wink.gif

Anyway save some money and do it yourself! icon_wink.gif it's fun! icon_smile.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 21

Yikes...I never have heard of this site, but it sound sketchy to me.

I am a graphic designer at an advertising agency, so if anyone needs a logo/design/card/ad done, you can contact me.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 21

I have used them seveal times for childcare cards and never had a problem most childcare providers I know also use them and I never heard of any problems. the site seem very clear to me and I have never been charged for anything I did not order.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:19pm
post #19 of 21

I did use them for the calander magnet special they had. It was supposed to be free and I just pay the shipping and handling charges.
Well, they charged my card 2 different times. Still have not gotten an answer from them on what the 2 charges are for.
I also keep getting phone calls now from companies saying that they are partnered with vista print and they keep asking me if I want a web site.
I called vista print and they told me that when you place an order with them, you athorize them to "give" your info to their partner companies!
I told them I did not authorize anyone to "give" my info to anyone.
The man hung up on me.
I have not called them back since and I still get calls asking me if I want a website. icon_evil.gif

I have gotten my business cards from office depot and paid $19.99 for 2000 cards in color with my design on it!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 21

I have been ordering my church business cards as well as my cake cards from Vista Prints for a couple of years with no problems. Recently, I changed phone numbers and ventured into printing my cake cards with Microsoft Publisher. They came out great! Since I'm still relatively small I can print my cards 50 at a time and if changes need to be made I can make them myself at little cost using Microsoft Publisher. I even created some business cards for a cater friend of mine.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshippo

Hi

sometimes you have to do your homework and do some research before you share something that could hurt a business. That's a bit irresponsible.

risquebusiness,
I hope you are not meaning that the CC member was irresponsible for passing along some valid info for the rest of us...maybe I am misunderstanding what you consider irresponsible.

I also like when people give the rest of us a heads up about an ebayer they have had trouble with, etc....I feel they are just looking out for the good of fellow cc'ers.

Thanks, rshippo, for passing the info along and letting us make wise choices when it comes to our business!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%