Pregnancy Vs. Cake Decorating: I Think It's Over!

Decorating By travelingcakeplate Updated 4 Jan 2007 , 1:23am by Kitagrl

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 3:43am
post #31 of 37

l know what you are going through. lm in my 14th week of pregnancy and just starting to feel better now. l had six wedding cakes to do in November and struggled with them. l could not even bring myself to look at cc. icon_eek.gif
l know. You have to be very sick to stop the addiction. Anyway, l hope your morning sickness goes away soon.

Shalan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalan Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:20pm
post #32 of 37

First of all, Congratulations!!! I know that I was beside myself when I found out that I was pregnant with my son in 04'. My husband and I had been married for 5 years. We both worked a full time job and I was building my cake business up. I loved baking and decorating cakes. It became a hobby as a teenager and became an addiction as I got older. With all this, I was also a member of one of the local clogging teams, so between working full time, baking cakes part time and clogging, I had a full load. I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks along. I would be fine in the mornings, but by mid afternoon I was so nauseous I could barely make it thru the rest of my work day. I would litteraly get off from work at 5pm, race to get home and run straight in the house and hug mr toilet the rest of the night. My husband, bless his heart, would find me still in the bathroom at 11pm at night when he would get home from work and help me to bed. It stayed this way through out my entire pregancy. I stayed so sick, I actually lost weight (over 20 lbs), so much so that they prescribed me meds for nausea because I could not keep anything down. Needless to say, the cake baking came to an abrupt hault along with the clogging and I could barely make it through the day at my full time job. After Hunter was born, there was no time whatsoever for anything, I didn't even have me time. My son will be 21 months old on Jan 4th and I am just now getting back into baking. Haven't found the time for clogging as of yet, which I truely miss and it was great excercise! But, the thing it, you will definitly find a balance that is for sure and things will all fall back into place when the timing is right. Just remember everything happens in His timing, not our own, and if baking is the only thing you do, then beleive me, you will find plenty of time for it. Like one lady said, when the little ones are napping, bake away, when they are asleep for the night, decorate the cakes. My son is actually at the point where he wants to help me in the kitchen and beleive it or not, having him in there with me it really fun because he is soo amazed at the cakes. His favorite line is "ooohhh, pretty cake mommy. pretty cake." He has become my biggest fan.
Sorry this is soo long, but hopefully your sickness will go away after a little while and you will be able to do the things you enjoy, but if not, do not fret, because it will all work out in the end. God Bless!!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 4:32pm
post #33 of 37

Congratulations!! As i'm writing this, my spirited 3 year old boy is dancing around naked & singing!!
I just started my 2nd trimester and had to made a cake/cupcakes for a friend in the middle of my 1st trimester. Boy, did I cry! I thought it looked and tasted horrible (my friend loved it!). I stopped making cakes (and cooking altogether!) for a few weeks but am doing much better now.
It will get better soon and you will have so many fun new things to make & decorate once the little one comes!!
My favorite was for my son's 1st birthday I make a Wilton Pooh Bear and matching Pooh head 'smash' cake.
Good luck!!

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 8:12pm
post #34 of 37

I can't help you with the nausea but I can speak from experience about having two kids close together. My daughter turned two in October my son one in September. It's not easy but witha little help you can get through it. I really enjoy doing it but my poor husband.....when a cake comes around he knows my stress level is going to skyrocketicon_smile.gif But we get through it. Erika loves to help - she likes to make lalos (flowers with fondant). As soon as she sees my supplies she says lalos!! And its so cute to see her enjoy it! Before I know it she'll be wanting to help!! Enjoy them while they're young and God will give you the strengthicon_smile.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 2:25am
post #35 of 37

Hang in there! I just went through this last year, and I was exactly in the same position. I couldn't even stand the smell of oil as I opened the cabinet! I was really bummed because I had to make a Wedding cake, and it completely grossed me out (I was 5 months at the time). I had to have other people taste test the icings, etc. because I just couldn't. I thought I'd never want to go back, but now all is back to normal -- at least with my stomach that is. I find it hard to do cakes with 2 little ones! So hang in there Mama!

icon_smile.gif Sarah

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Dec 2006 , 3:01am
post #36 of 37

I just want to say Congrats to all the expecting Moms here!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Reading through this thread made me realize how much I miss being pregnant!! My DH and I have been married 2 1/2 years and I have two girls, 9 & 11, and 2 step-boys 14 & 19. I can only dream of having more!!

Good luck to all of you and I hope the sickness goes away quickly so you can get back to decorating!

Vicki

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #37 of 37

Me too! I'm 9 weeks right now with a fourth and extremely unplanned pg... I work two days/week at a caterer doing cakes and then have an order here and there (usually detailed 3D cakes) on my own. I don't feel like doing ANY of it! I used to do my best work at night when the kiddos were in bed but now I'm tired at their bedtime too!

I hope your morning sickness passes soon...I know I don't feel like doing ANYthing right now, and my poor dh is probably tired of taking up all my slack....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%