Please . . .help With Eliminating Air Bubbles In My Mmf

Decorating By dbax Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm by dbax

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 16

I am sure this has been asked but I can't seem to find a thread that will help me so I am posting one hoping for some advice. icon_smile.gif

Does anyone have suggestions for eliminating air bubbles in MMF?

Mine always gets blisters and sadly has a look of someones skin with a bad case of hives icon_cry.gif (sorry for the gross analogy but it's all I can think of to describe it.)
I have been able to eliminate the larger ones that show up before it is rolled out thin enough to place on my cake, but the little ones keep showing up.
Do I need to knead it longer?

Any help would be so appreciated.

thanks . . .
Diana

15 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 16

Well I hate mmf and use Toba Garrets which I love love love lol as for eliminating the air bubbles The only suggestion I have is to prick them with a little needle or pin.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 16

I add 2 tsp. of corn syrup per batch of mmf and it really helps. It may also help to have a big heavy rolling pin.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 16

It may have to do with the way you are kneading it, airbubbles mean you've incorporated too much air, someone else mentioned once to make sure you don't fold it over, you kind of just keep mushing it together. I'm not sure that makes sense. Otherwise take a pin and give them all a little prick icon_lol.gif hehehe and then gently rub over with a finger to get rid of the little hole.

Maybe try rolling it a little thicker to see if that makes a difference.

dbax Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 16

I haven't tried Toba Garrets, or the corn syrup, thanks for the suggestions. At this point I am going to try everything until I am frustration free icon_lol.gif

The kneading suggestion is a good idea too, I do understand what you mean by mushing instead of folding, so I will watch out on my technique of kneading. I think my problem there has been when I roll it out and see all the bubbles, I have to get it from flat shape back into a ball, therby probably incorporating even more bubbles icon_cry.gif Pricking it with a pin has helped some, but they just seem to be everywhere.

I appreciate your ideas and will give them a try... try try try until I get it right.
Thank you!!

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #6 of 16

I made some MMF tonight and guess what??? Air bubbles. I remembered this thread, so here I am. I guess I folded over too much and didn't "mush" enough. Now that it's made, any remedies or do I have to toss it and start over?

icon_sad.gif

I thought I was supposed to make it the night before you needed it and let it rest. Boy if I can ever get the hang of this stuff.

TIA,
PattyLen

dbax Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 16

I wouldn't throw it out. Even if you don't use it, you can play with it a while - work with it some more, eventually the bubbles come out. I was just hoping there was a reason for it and a way to eliminate them at the get go, if you know what I mean.

I am trying a new batch today to see what I am doing wrong... added some corn syrup maybe this is the trick. I am also going to have my husband knead it for me when he gets home from work (and after a good hand washing icon_lol.gif ). I am hoping this will help.

I have been letting it set over night, sometimes longer before using it, kneading the heck out of it, until it is pliable and doesn't break or tear, then finding the bubbles when rolling it out ugh! But after I work with it some more, like making figures and ribbon type stuff, it usually gets better. Especially when I get my husband to help. He usually helps by kneading and softening the MMF when I am rushing at the end to get the cake done, he just hasn't been here for the first go round of covering the cake, when maybe I need his help the most.
Let's see how that goes haha

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 16

I have yet to eliminate the air bubbles completely,but I find that stirring and stirrring and stirring before adding the sugar is what does it for me. In my opinion, most of the bubbles come from the original puffed marshmallows. I'm going to try the corn syrup though!

Zahrah Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 16

I have yet to eliminate the air bubbles completely,but I find that stirring and stirrring and stirring before adding the sugar is what does it for me. In my opinion, most of the bubbles come from the original puffed marshmallows. I'm going to try the corn syrup though!

Zahrah Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 16

dbax Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 16

I was wondering about the marshmallow as the reason for the bubbles, after all it is basically just whipped sugar and geletin. I've made them before (marshmallows) and my KA bowl is only halfway full when I start and the bowl is almost overflowing by the time it's done. Maybe the extra stirring before incorporating sugar is a good plan icon_smile.gif

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:43am
post #12 of 16

Well, I put it back in the microwave last night and zapped it for about 30 seconds. Greased my hands and kneaded away. That took away most of the bubbles. I think most of the problem was folding instead of mushing. Also, found that some of what I thought were bubbles were actually lumps of powdered sugar. Guess I'll sift that from now on. Anyway, I used the MMF on a fish cake. I'll post if when it's all done.

Thanks for all your help.
Patty Len

thumbs_up.gif

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:37pm
post #13 of 16

I sift and sift and still get little hard pieces, drives me nuts.

nmartin7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmartin7 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 16

I've also read that if you sort of twist it when you're kneading that it helps prevent some of those air bubbles. My last batch of MMF did me the same way, I made four batches at the same time, using identical ingredients and only one batch had those bubbles. I was able to pin prick them out but it still was annoying. HTH

nmartin7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmartin7 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #15 of 16

Also, I just read thru this and I plan to try it this way next time:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-521083-0-days0-orderasc-.html

dbax Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 16

I read thru that too. Great instructions!

I went to Ikea and bought some really nice stainless steel bowls, nice and deep. I mixed my melted marshmallows with 1/2 powdered sugar in my Kitchen aid then put the remaining powdered sugar in my shiny new bowls. Then proceeded to mix the two together as directed. It was working very well, but with the combination of crisco and powdered sugar on my hands, it started to rub metal off the outside of the bowl and onto my fingers, which I didn't notice until I saw grey marks on my MMF icon_eek.gif egads!

I decided to use my large plastic bowl the next time and it was so much better, no metal in my MMF lol. It also works better if you crisco the bowl first otherwise the powdered sugar just slides up and out of the bowl. The crisco seems to hold it in there.

Also, had my DH mush and knead my MMF and he was able to squeeze out most of the airbubbles. I guess my wimpy hands are just not strong enough hehe icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%