Question On Gum Paste Or Fondant

Decorating By cookiebaker997 Updated 5 Aug 2005 , 1:11pm by abbey

cookiebaker997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiebaker997 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 1:45am
post #1 of 6

I have always used royal icing on my cookies, but I want to experiment with different textures using the gum paste and/or fondant. I am making flowerpot cookies and want to use royal icing for the base and put either fondant or gum paste flowers on the top of the pot. More of a 3-D cookie. Any suggestions on which would be better? I bought a package of ready made fondant today at Hobby Lobby but I haven't used it yet. Thank you so much!!

Leslie
icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cakecentral Cookiebakes997. Since gumpaste can be rolled thinner and dries harder than fondant...I would go with the gumpaste. It just depends on what type of flower you plan to make.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 11:25am
post #3 of 6

Gumpaste is a modelling compound - rolled fondant is a cake covering.

Although gumpaste is non-toxic, it is barely edible. It tastes "yuck" and is rock-hard. Keep any ornaments as momentos rather than munchies.

If you want the the flowers to be edible, go with rolled fondant. Depending upon your own ideas, it tastes okay, dries hard [but softer than gumpaste], and it can be kept as a momento also.

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 3 Aug 2005 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 6

Another option would be real, eatable flowers. They are not very tasty, but if you sugar them they last and look adorable.

merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:22am
post #5 of 6

Checkout Toba Garrett's Cookie book for great ideas and recipes. I agree gumpaste is definitely not a good medium for cookies.......too hard and tasteless.

merry

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with the others I wouldn't use gp on cookies. I've never tried fondant either though. Let us know how they come out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%