What Would You Charge?

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 12:38am by rsaun

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 16

I have someone who wants me to make a cross cake just like the one I have in my photos and I was wondering what I should charge. The flowers will be fondant poisettias instead of the buttercream roses I used, is only difference. Delivery with in 10 miles of my home. I have never had an order before so I am not sure what to charge fairly yet still be worth it. icon_confused.gif Here is the link to it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_86081.html

15 replies
GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 16

How many servings will you get out off the cake? I start my specialty cakes priced at 25.00 and go up from there depending on the difficulty of the cake, and the number of servings.

2sdae Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 16

I dunno, how much does the wilton cross pan serve.....25? This is just my guess as I have never used this pan before and as I said never had an order before either icon_cry.gif HELP! Please.

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 16

2sdae, try to figure out exactly what ingredients you would be using for this cake, cost them and add a bit on for gas/electricity, multiply by 3 (I think that's how it goes), figure out how long you will spend decorating the cake (and charge by the hour what you feel you're worth). Add it up and that is exactly how much you should charge for the cake.

All the best.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 16

Holds one cake mix, so about 10-12 servings. Place on a sheet for more servings. Double layer adds more servings, so a 4" tall cross of the same dimentions (14.5x11) would be about 25 with small servings.

I would charge $50-60 for this cake remedied for 25 servings. $25-30 as is.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 16

The cross pan shown in the Wilton 2005 Yearbook serves 12 according to the cakes shown on page 79. I would charge about $25 - $30 where I live.

I saw your cross cake. It is beautiful!

2sdae Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 16

I made a demo of this and gaged it at $20.00 without any deco charge so I guess 25.00 would be ok? I just don't wanna over charge and over do their expectations. Ya know what I mean? I guess I'm just nervous about it. Thanks for your help. thumbs_up.gif

tporbz Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 16

Did you charge for the time you will spend decorating the cake? I'm not telling you what to do luv, but I think you should place a higher value on your cakes. You WILL meet their expectations, and probably exceed them, if the cross in your pics is anything to go by (and that cake by the way, is worth more than $25).

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 16

I did a few of these this past May, you can view them in my gallery. Yours is very pretty, very nicely done, a bit simpler, but I charged $50 for the single cross, a little more for the ones on the sheet cakes.

I would not go below $30, don't undersell yourself early in the game! You can always offer discounts to certain people if you want, but make sure they know the true worth of your work. Also, do you bake from scrach or a box? I doctor boxed mixes, can't even imagine what I would charge if I had to bake from scratch as well.

2sdae Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 16

I do bake fom scratch and I use real butter and cream. I use a equal to 2 batch recipe. I make real butter butter cream, and like I mentioned I make R.I. or fondant docorations depending on customer request. I do ask first and identify the difference and give samples of each. So as to help their preference of taste of each? I just feel this helps them identify what they may want better. I thought 30.00 would suffice. What do you all think? I know I am over worrying this , but I want to be sure first. icon_cry.gif

tporbz Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 16

I would definitely charge a minimum of $35. That's only $15 more than what you figured out it would cost you to make the cake - I bet your time is worth more, but at least $35..

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 16

Coming from someone who is constantly under charging, don't get in the habbit. Your time is worth more and your cake is lovely!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:00am
post #13 of 16

I try to use $2.50 per serving as a base for my pricing. Since you bake from scratch, don't go any lower than $35! Even that would be way too low for my time, and I agonize over pricing, I have a very hard time charging what I should, but I am getting better at it. Again, you can "discount" anytime, but always make sure they know the value they are getting. I make an invoice with a description and photo of the cake and the price, then I show the discount they are getting, if any. It's always easier to lower your price for someone special than raise your price for someone else. Don't undersell yourself! If they love your cakes they will pay the price.

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:18am
post #14 of 16

Your cake is beautiful!! If I made one like that to sell, based on where I live, I would probably charge $30.

2sdae Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #15 of 16

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure... you know. be along the right lines and all. I want to be compensated for my time and inpputs but also fair to what the product is. thumbs_up.gif

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:38am
post #16 of 16

I would charge $30.00+

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%