Which Is Stronger?

Decorating By spottydog Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 12:42am by daisyblue

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 54

i am making a tiera cake and have noticed here that it has been made with either medium. I need advice to which is the more durable.
Thanks, Lisa

53 replies
daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #2 of 54

well, my thought is royal, but who am i......

here's a bump to help you along, good luck with the tiara icon_smile.gif

spottydog Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:26am
post #3 of 54

seems royal is the winner.
Thanks.....Wish me luck!

spottydog Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 54

Ok....so how many layers do i use and how long to dry??? I am having no luck with the royal. ARGGGG

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:17am
post #5 of 54

icon_surprised.gif B icon_eek.gif U icon_confused.gif M icon_razz.gif P icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:28am
post #6 of 54

I have no idea, since I haven't made a tiara. Why not find some in the galleries and pm some of the decorators. That way you will get their opinions and won't have to hope they see your post. Worth a try, don't ya think?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:49am
post #7 of 54

From all that I have heard, read and experienced R.I. is indefinite, chocolate melts and molds. So R.I. it is for me!
I've always been told 12 to 24 hours to really hold well on R.I, but chocolate is very sturdy. Maybe 2 or 3 coats of R. I. would do with 36 to 48 hours to really dry out safely?
What ya think here ladies????

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:50am
post #8 of 54

Thanks...I will give it another go tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:53am
post #9 of 54

HI , IF I MAY ADD MY TWO CENTS... YOU COULD USE GUMPASTE. ITS MORE DURABLE THAN ROYAL AND CHOCOLATE AND YOU HAVE MORE CONTROL. YOU CAN HAND MOLD ALL YOU PIECES AHEAD AND GIVE THEM A GOOD WEEK TO DRY HARD THEN ATTACH THEM TOGETHER PIECE BY PIECE WITH ROYAL ICING. IT WILL TAKE A BIT LONGER BUT WILL LOOK SO MUCH MORE REALISTIC.

JUST A THOUGHT icon_rolleyes.gif

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #10 of 54

I think royal would last longer, but if you look at my photos I made a tiara out of white chocolate & I was told 'it was some good eatin'!!!" LOL!! I guess it would depend on how long you need it to hold up & if the person getting it cares about eating it. (Mine was for my 9 year old niece's birthday so the fact that it was made from white chocolate was a BIG plus!!)

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 12:58am
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyblue

I think royal would last longer, but if you look at my photos I made a tiara out of white chocolate & I was told 'it was some good eatin'!!!" LOL!! I guess it would depend on how long you need it to hold up & if the person getting it cares about eating it. (Mine was for my 9 year old nieces birthday so the fact that it was made from white chocolate was a BIG plus!!)

That's really pretty. I only need it for fri it's a birthday and most likely would be eaten by some goofball there. How long did you let it set? Did you "chill" it at all?

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #12 of 54

It was so incredibly fast to make you wouldn't believe it. Here's how I did it. I copied MelC's template & I taped it to a can. (I used a can of yams, which for some reason cracks my brother up any time I mention it, but any can will do. It just depends on how big of a curve you want for your tiara.) After I taped the template down, I taped a piece of wax paper over that. Next, I melted my chocolate in the microwave. I started out with 30 seconds, stirred it & then did a couple more 'zaps' of about 15 seconds each, stirring after each one. That got my chocolate ready. I put the melted chocolate in a piping bag & used tip #2 for piping. I just traced over the template with the chocolate until I had traced the entire thing, then I let it set for about 5 minutes & went over it all again to make it more stable. You could probably even go over it a 3rd time if you feel your lines are a little thin. When I finished the 2nd tracing I let it set for about 30 minutes & then removed it. From start to finish it only took me about 30 minutes to make it (that includes melting the chocolate & taping the template to the yams, LOL!) & then it was 30 minutes of drying time. (no chilling necessary) Good luck on making yours!!

Oh, & p.s.--If your chocolate gets cool while you're piping, just put it back in your dish & microwave it 5 or 10 seconds. I had to to this in between the tracings.

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:18am
post #13 of 54

thanks......! with it being quick I will give it a go tomorrow. I will postand let you know how it goes.
Again....thanks very much for your responceand well written instructions! Can't wait to try.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #14 of 54

W icon_surprised.gif A icon_surprised.gif I icon_surprised.gif T !!!!!!!!!!

SPOTTY!!!

royal...will break on you ...all 16 times I tried it...I ended up using almond bark when I made one.....didnt need a second layer and held up perfectly! I had to drive that one an hour away this summer...it didnt melt at all!

count this as a BUMP!

edited to say....umm those 16 times...was all one night! the chocolate one I made that morning....stuck it in the freezer for a few min...it was perfectly hardened! thumbs_up.gif

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

W icon_surprised.gif A icon_surprised.gif I icon_surprised.gif T !!!!!!!!!!

SPOTTY!!!

royal...will break on you ...all 16 times I tried it...I ended up using almond bark when I made one.....didnt need a second layer and held up perfectly! I had to drive that one an hour away this summer...it didnt melt at all!

count this as a BUMP!

LOL

yes I did 3 layers and it broke. I am going to give chocolate a try.

twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #16 of 54

OMG!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just saw the avatar!!!!

IM LAUGHING SOOOO HARD!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:23am
post #17 of 54

I had a horrible time with mine made from RI. I will definately use a different medium next time!

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #18 of 54
Quote:

OMG!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just saw the avatar!!!!

IM LAUGHING SOOOO HARD!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well you are guilty, right? LOL icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:30am
post #19 of 54

OMG Spotty I sooooo needed that laugh just now!!!

P.S. I would use choc. icon_lol.gif

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:32am
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

OMG Spotty I sooooo needed that laugh just now!!!

P.S. I would use choc. icon_lol.gif

I crack myself up......LOL

twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #21 of 54

what was that spotty?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:49am
post #22 of 54
Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:52am
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

\\

wait wait wait...I found a better one....watch for it!

edited to say...TA ----DA!!!!!!!!!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:53am
post #24 of 54

You guys are killing me icon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #25 of 54

Twinsy -spit that thing out! That is bad for your health and you might drop a butt in the icing.

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 1:56am
post #26 of 54

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to know where you get these! You have definetly got one up on me!!!!!!

twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:00am
post #27 of 54
Quote:

Twinsy -spit that thing out! That is bad for your health and you might drop a butt in the icing.

its ok NEW....Im nothing but a SAHB icon_wink.gif ...unlicensed with character cakes....so I can do what I want...when I want.....just so I dont knock the cat off my lap! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

spottydog Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:02am
post #28 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

its ok NEW....Im nothing but a SAHB icon_wink.gif ...unlicensed with character cakes....so I can do what I want...when I want.....just so I dont knock the cat off my lap! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

What have you done to my poor thread???? If My tiara fails, hmmmmm you'll have to make me one and deliver it !!!!!

twinsline7 Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:05am
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog

What have you done to my poor thread???? If My tiara fails, hmmmmm you'll have to make me one and deliver it !!!!!

ok fine....back to your tiara princess.....

use chocolate....there I have spoken....nothing else to discuss but monkeys icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

just kidding! icon_twisted.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:11am
post #30 of 54

Yeah Twinsy I am an uneducated, SAHB, who has done a unlicensed character cake with choc. transfers......., but I would still use the choc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%