How Do I Color White Chocolate?

Decorating By Ishi Updated 24 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm by ShirleyW

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 7

Can I use gel paste color to add color to melted chocolate? Anything I need to know before I try?

6 replies
starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 7

yep! nothing special to know i dont think. HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrchaser

yep! nothing special to know i dont think. HTH

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! You MUST use candy colors for white chocolate -- it accepts the color better and won't change the consistency of the chocolate. If you want to melt and mold, add the candy color while it's melted. The candy colors are very different than gel colors (for buttercreams).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 7

Sorry if that came across a little overbearing...

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 7

Yep bobwonderbuns is right. It canges the consistancy...in my photos I have white choc. covered cake balls with red strips on them. I used my reg. wilton colors and it became VERY hard to work with.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 7

I've used gel americolors to color my white chocolate and it has worked fine. No change in consistancy. Maybe it just depends on how much color you need to add. I only use a very tiny bit and the chocolate has never seized or anything.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

You can mix small amounts of petal dust with a few drops of vegetable oil to make a liquid, stir till smooth, make it brighter than the finished shade you need and add to the melted white chocolate a bit at a time till you get the shade you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%