What To Do With 150 Cupcakes?

Decorating By Jodiedew Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm by donnajf

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 23

So sad icon_sad.gif I was preparing a cupcake tree cake, with 150 cupcakes and a 10 inch cake on top, for my grandma's surprise 80th birthday tomorrow. I just got a call that she's in the hospital, and the party is canceled! Hopefully everything is going to be ok with her, and really I understand and don't mind about all the cupcakes.....but, what do I do with 150 cupcakes? They're already filled and frosted and decorated. Do you think a local shelter would want them? I live in Maryland, near DC, if anyone knows a good place to bring them. I just hate to throw them all away. I hadn't iced the cake yet, so that can go in the freezer. So sad!

22 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 23

well, grandma may be in the hospital...but who says that has to stop the fun??

so, pack them up and drive over to the hospital and let the fun begin. Grandma may not be able to have any herself, just yet, but any visitors and all the nurses and staff will certainly enjoy the treat and maybe even join in a chorus of Happy Birthday too!

-----------------
and if grandma is up for a laugh -- (our family always believed in the healing power of laughter -- long before Patch Adams! -- and would joke until it hurt to laugh)

so perfect time to hit her w/

"ok, and describe the reindeer who did this too you." (cue ..Grandma got run over by a Reindeer!)

my mom did not hear the end of this joke after she broke her hip right at Christmas -- two years in a row...just had to have a matched set!
-----------------

sending best wishes for a speedy recovery!

jaminic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaminic Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 23

Good Idea Doug !

I am agree with you...

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 23

sorry to hear of your grandma's turn of health. i hope she is back home and in good spirits soon. if it's not appropriate to take the celebration to the ward, a shelter is a wonderful idea - particularly one for mothers and children. it will be appreciated where ever you take them.

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius

sorry to hear of your grandma's turn of health. i hope she is back home and in good spirits soon. if it's not appropriate to take the celebration to the ward, a shelter is a wonderful idea - particularly one for mothers and children. it will be appreciated where ever you take them.

i agree a womans shelter would be a perfact recipiant of this treat.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 23

Maybe try a veterans' hospital, too. Hope you can find someplace that will enjoy them and that your grandmother is feeling better soon.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 23

i give my extra stuff to thr womens shelter..

they LOVE getting it....they even send someone to come pick it up.

a few months ago...someone was trying to run a scam on me...and trying to get a free wedding cake...

well it was already done (long story)...and i wasn't gonna give it to em...

my daughter in law and i called the womens shelter...then we busted into the toy kits....we covered that thing top to bottom with toys....and stuck a barbie on the top with a power ranger for the finishing touch.

the kids just loved it they said! icon_biggrin.gif

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 23

Thanks all for your suggestions! I wish I could take them to the hospital, but we're trying to not have too many people there just yet. I'll look around for a shelter, and good idea on a VA hospital. Thanks again!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 23

ya know...nurses whether RNs, LPNs, or aides work their tails off to care for us...and so often get SO little respect or thanks from us or many of the Dr's they work w/.

which is why I suggested taking the cupcakes to the hospital for them to have. Certainly a gracious gesture to say thanks for all they do

i doubt 150 cupcakes would last one shift.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 23

Maybe even a nursing home. So many in nursing homes never get visitors and so they do not have specialty items like this brought to them. The staff would know who to and not to give them to if there were allergies etc. I would make sure to list the ingredients to make sure though.

The shelter is a great idea as well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Maybe even a nursing home. So many in nursing homes never get visitors and so they do not have specialty items like this brought to them. The staff would know who to and not to give them to if there were allergies etc. I would make sure to list the ingredients to make sure though.

The shelter is a great idea as well.

I used to work in a nursing home and this is correct -- they are always looking for cool stuff like that. The old folks love it! icon_smile.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 23

I think the people at the hospital would love getting a treat. If not a nursing home would appreciate them.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 23

I must agree with giving them to a nursing home. When we had my Great Grandmothers 99th b-day party at the home that she is in, we had so much cake left over and nobody wanted to take it home. We asked if they could use it and they were very eager to take it off our hands. It was like the whole center got to join in on the party.

jnf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnf1 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 23

My SIL was in the hospital this summer and we fix stuff for the nursing staff they enjoyed and were very thankful.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 23

Off to the hospital, everyone will be delighted to share in the Grandma's 80th birthday celebrations (even if she can't eat any of the cupcakes).

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 1:27am
post #16 of 23

Let us know how it goes!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #17 of 23

By the way, this is a really dumb question, but how exactly does one fill a cupcake? I've never done it.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:06am
post #18 of 23

Here is a little turorial it is really good.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1192813746051689275ZzeIFp

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 9:33am
post #19 of 23

NO NO No take them to the hospital have a little party for your grandma and I promise you those nurses will gobble them all up/// and the doctors.....she will be the most well looked after grandma. i was a nurse and I promise you a little party and they will all be gone....and greatly appreciated Hope your grandma recovers in the mean time

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 23

Soooo, what did you do with them??

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 23

Who got to eat the cupcakes?

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #22 of 23

That is a great tutorial!

<------------Wondering who got the cupcakes icon_smile.gif

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm
post #23 of 23

Doug-
Once again you are absolutely correct!

Take them to the hospital - show your appreciation to the staff would love them ( and your granma)!

Tist the season! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%