Pretty Pink / Bitter Pink

Decorating By Manna4 Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 11:45am by Manna4

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 13

I was asked to do a Hot Pink-3 tier cake, but was very hesitant because of the bitter taste of an icing with that much pink food color. I see in this site so many cakes colored with a very strong (not "neon") and very pretty tones of pink. Can you recommend a food color brand and color name that would give me a strong tone of pink without the nasty taste? Thank you so much! icon_razz.gif

12 replies
Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 13

I have always used Wilton Rose Pink....it can make a pretty bright pink w/out using too much. Never had a bad taste w/ it either.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 12:36am
post #3 of 13

Pink paste colors should not give a bitter taste. Red, dk browns, blues, black will.
Americolor has great gel pastes - more liquid than paste and color is great. You cannot fine it at plasces like MIchael's - only at cake supply shops or mail order.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:06am
post #4 of 13

I'm like Americolor's cheerleader, but I can't say enough great things about these colors. I have thrown away every jar of color I had and only use AC. Wilton Rose is nice, but AC Electric Pink is awesome! Just a touch for a soft baby pink, a little more and a little more and WOW! Try it, you'll never look back! -Lori

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #5 of 13

I have had trouble with the Americolor Electric colors being bitter. If you want a real bold pink I would say use the Wilton. I really like the Americolors for most things except a real dark color

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:19am
post #6 of 13

I have the wilton Rose and I think it has a bitter taste-worse than red. Why is it that some say it's bitter and others say its not? That's so odd to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:48am
post #7 of 13

Most of my Wilton colors are *old*....like 5-10 yrs icon_smile.gif
Maybe the newest batches are different icon_sad.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:01am
post #8 of 13

can you get pink in a spray can? I've sprayed blue and green on cakes and it turns out great. The color is only on the outside of the cake so you don't need nearly as much of it.

Manna4 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone, I'm sure going to experiment some more with pinks. thumbs_up.gif I've have used some of the Wilton's pinks before (I can't remember which color) and ended up with a very bright/neon-like tone and I'm trying to go to a medium to dark pink with a more mellow hue (boy it is hard to describe "color" icon_cry.gif ). Thanks again!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 13

Take a look at the big top flower on this cake. Is that what you're talking about? I just used wilton's no taste red till I got the dark pink that I like. I love this color.

Whoops! Forgot pic.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=929453

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 13

I find Americolor's pinks tend to be very strong. I would use their Fuscia color. It is comparable to wilton's rose pink in hue. I dont think you would have to use a huge amount to get a really good hot pink with the fuscia.

Baileygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baileygirl Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 13

I use AmeriColor Deep Pink in every beginning class I teach to demonstrate how to mix colors. It will make a very light pink and by adding just a little more you can get a "shocking" pink. If the shade is a little off you can then add the Bright White to tone it down. I've used Wilton, Chefmaster and Cake Craft but I think AmeriColor is the best available right now. This link will take you to their color chart.

http://www.americolorcorp.com/

Manna4 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:45am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Take a look at the big top flower on this cake. Is that what you're talking about? I just used wilton's no taste red till I got the dark pink that I like. I love this color.

Whoops! Forgot pic.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=929453

Yes, that is the "pink" I'm talking about! And I do like the "pinks" done with red much better than the ones with pink colors. But if you want a darker shade and keep adding more red to deepen the tone you end up with a faint red, not a pink that is hot-pink, right?

Thanks for all you inputs, you are all very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%