Daughter's Birthday Cake - Can't Believe What She Wants

Decorating By PattyLen Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 11:35am by wgoat5

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 26

My daugher will be 20 next week. I called her to find out what kind of cake she wanted. Now, I'm not a professional baker or decorator, but I've taken Wilton classes. She even went with me and we had a great time.

Oh yeah, back to the cake request.

Me: What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?

Daughter: Well, mom, I know you're a really good baker and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but my favorite cake is a yellow box mix and chocolate canned frosting. Will you make that, pretty please?

WHAT???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Anyone else ever get this?

By the way, she's getting her box cake and canned frosting.

25 replies
lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 26

that's my fave, i would choose the canned ch frosting over buttercream, i love the fuggy taste. if i could find a great chocolaty fudge frosting recipe i could be convinced to change my mind.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 26

My husband's been pulling that lately. icon_mad.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 26

My family likes the Better Cream , I hate to work with that stuff. I have to say the Paying customers love my buttercream. icon_lol.gif [/b]

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 26

That is my favorite cake too! I haven't eaten any of my cakes since I got pregnant, I don't like buttercream anymore!

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 26

It could've been worse...she could've asked for a 4-tier decorated extravaganza (sp?). I happen to love yellow box mix as well, but my frosting of choice is that creamy whipped icing (I don't know that name or brand, but I love it!!) or that confetti icing...i can eat that out of the can icon_smile.gif I'm sure your homemade sweets are yummy as well... icon_smile.gif

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 26

WOW! That is my favorite cake too. icon_smile.gif You shouldn't be offended at all. Everyone is different. If someone asked me what I wanted it would either be a Dairy Queen ice cream cake or the yellow box cake and milk chocolate frosting from the can. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 26

I wouldn't think twice about that request. If that was what my son wanted, hey, no problem, less work, less clean-up for me. I'm not that blessed. My spoiled family can taste the difference between the boxed mixes and scratch cakes; same with icing. When I do my practice cakes (which consist of boxed mixes, scratch icings) the conversation consists of --

Q (them) - Is this a boxed mix?
A (me) - Yes.
Q (them) Why?
A (me) - It's only a practice cake.
Q (them) - Don't you think you should practice your baking, too?
A (me) - Just stop, thank God for what you have, and then keep going!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 26

A good ol' box/can frosting does sound good. It's less work for you. Does she want it fancied up with some decorating or just some writing?

Man, I want to go buy a can of the fudgy frosting now. Thanks for that!! icon_wink.gif

Amy

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I wouldn't think twice about that request. If that was what my son wanted, hey, no problem, less work, less clean-up for me. I'm not that blessed. My spoiled family can taste the difference between the boxed mixes and scratch cakes; same with icing. When I do my practice cakes (which consist of boxed mixes, scratch icings) the conversation consists of --

Q (them) - Is this a boxed mix?
A (me) - Yes.
Q (them) Why?
A (me) - It's only a practice cake.
Q (them) - Don't you think you should practice your baking, too?
A (me) - Just stop, thank God for what you have, and then keep going!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I had a similar conversation with my oldest child. We were in the grocery store and I saw the prebaked and preassembled haunted house from Wilton. I've been thinking about making that graveyard scene from last year's yearbook so I was looking at the house. He was appalled that I would BUY a prebaked house and told me that I can do better. A year or so ago he was fussing that I don't buy the pre-done stuff or buy grocery cakes and now NOTHING but the homemade stuff will do. icon_rolleyes.gif

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 26

I have to say I'm with your daughter. I was actually in bed thinking about a yellow cake and choc can frosting a couple of nights ago - it's been too long without it! icon_razz.gif

PattyLen Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 26

Well, I baked the cake for a family party tomorrow. Just talked with her and she is so excited that she is getting her cake of choice. And, I'm excited because it was soooo easy. Because I enhanced the cake and made it three layers instead of two, had to send hubby out for a little more frosting. MMMM, don't think it wasn't that I had to taste test that fudgy stuff. Everyone is happy!!!

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

That is my favorite cake too! I haven't eaten any of my cakes since I got pregnant, I don't like buttercream anymore!

i don't like buttercream either, i'm not pregnantthough, I couldn't figuire out why everytime i made it i couldn't decide if it was perfect or not then i realize i couldn't stand it! So my sister is now my official b.c. taster , she happy.

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 26

I love canned frosting! YUMMM birthday.gif

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 26

OH yeah!!! I am a cookie mom so I don't really do cakes. When I do I can promise they are not from scratch. Nothing against them & those who do them but mine would be HIDEOUS so I stay away from it. Anyways I made one for my hubby's grandma a few months back (it was her 104th bday) no one else mentioned it so I made one & we went to visit her. Keep in mind my bro-in-law own 3 bakeries. Anyways it was a yellow cake with milk chocolate frosting, it was GONE. At one point I heard my sister say "boxed cake is so much better than a bakery cake" Ouch considering my BIL was in the next room. Anyways my point is...I think a lot of people prefer the taste of a boxed cake. As for me I am an equal opportunity cake lover, if it is good...I eat it. icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #16 of 26

mmmm I love the french vanilla canned stuff lol it's so delicious with any flavour cake. My daughter is turning 25 in January and I'm thinking of trying my hand at making her a castle cake lol I've been dying for an excuse to try it and she's into the medieval stuff. When she was growing up I always wanted to buy her a fancy store bought cake (I wasnt into much decorating then) but she would always say no way to store bought she wanted me to make it. lol Got to love them lol

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:41am
post #17 of 26

Yep, I've got a daughter that prefers the canned stuff. I did find a recipe for homemade chocolate frosting that tastes almost as good as the canned stuff so she gets her request and I get to make it from scratch. One time I made it and put it in an empty can I had and gave it to her because she wanted to eat it from the can. I never got a complaint! Like my mother always says, "What I don't know won't hurt me!"

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #18 of 26

I "vve always hated BC its the crisco and way to sweet UNTIL............I tried Toba's decorator Bc it is very good used it for DD wedding cake was surprised she loved it too and she does't like anything but canned.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:03am
post #19 of 26

Yes, I had this request before. The woman was very disappointed. She had bought a cake from a very nice bakery, here in San Diego. Their cakes are made with wonderful Hawaiian ingredients (mac. nuts, coconut, etc.) I would have killed for a cake like that. Husband didn't like it and pouted. He told her...I just want a yellow box bake with canned chocolate frosting like my mom used to make me. I don't know what ticked her off more...wasting $50 on a cake, or hearing that "mom's cake" was better. I complied and made her the cake. He LOVED it. To each his own.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 26

I made a batch of buttercream the other day and I just knew there was not going to be enough... I didnt have the time or some of the ingredients to whip up another whole batch.. soooo I added a can of vanilla to my homemade.... just yummy.. something about that canned taste.. lol

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahalKita

As for me I am an equal opportunity cake lover, if it is good...I eat it. icon_smile.gif

LOL..........!!!!!

anyway, i always start with cake mixes, but i really dont like canned frosting.. to sweet for me. last time the BF went grocery shopping he bought THREE cans of frosting and i didn't know it until i found one HALF EATEN in the fridge behind the pickles..... He didnt want to offend me! Hey, if he wants to eat it by itself, he can go right ahead... I just told him there would be no chance of it ending up on a cake in this house. we got in a fight, which ended in me making cupcakes for him... with the store bought frosting of course.

i'm a sucker.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 26

Yep, my 18 year old daughter loves the canned frosting too! She's tried my IMBC and I've even made the shortening stuff and she still likes the canned frosting!
Jacqui

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #23 of 26

well i have my own cake recipee ...but for cupcakes i use the box and the can whipped cream..

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #24 of 26

Used to when DH and I had a night alone with the kids gone to grannies, we'd cuddle in bed eat chinese food, watch a movie and eat canned icing icon_biggrin.gif , he would do chocolate fudge...I'd eat a spoon or two of the confetti icing...oh those were the days icon_smile.gif

PattyLen Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:25am
post #25 of 26

Here's an update. Birthday party yesterday afternoon. There were two cakes: yellow box cake with canned chocolate frosting and WASC with almond BC. Yellow cake is almost gone (DD will come by tonight to pick up what's left). WASC - three quarters gone (will take it to work today).

Everyone raved about both cakes. Everyone happy. All is well with the world.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #26 of 26

icon_smile.gif you know funny thing....My Wasc never sticks around....but put canned icing on it and nobody will touch it....they like the canned icing with just the right out of the box plain cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%