New Book By Toba!!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 27 Dec 2006 , 6:10pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:18am
post #1 of 58

Okay, so does anyone have what I think is a new book by Toba Garrett called
"Professional Cake Decorating" by Toba Garrett? I just found it on Amazon and it's listed as $65.00 icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I just today bought the paperback copy of "The Well-Decorated Cake"! Now that's a nice book!

I want to know more about this new book! I don't know the copyright on it but I am assuming it's new because I have not seen it anywhere until now! I do know that it features Lambeth method because there is a small picture of a Lambeth Style technique on the cover.

Amy

57 replies
cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:22am
post #2 of 58

Okay so I just searched for it here on CC and it's discounted and is SOLD OUT! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Okay, so now all ya'll that bought it out can you please give me some info on it. I am really interested in her techniques especially her take on Lambeth and her stringwork!!!

Amy

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 58

I have this book. It is WONDERFUL. It is actual lessons from easy to hard with a quiz at the end and everything. It's a wonderful resource and a wonderful way to learn very useful techniques.

Rachel

cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 58

I DID IT! I DID IT! I ORDERED IT!!!!! Thank you so much for telling me where I can find the book for that great price minus shipping!!! WOO HOO!!! My husband isn't even up yet, hmmmmm how am I going to break the news that I just bought a book online!!!! He knows how much decorating means to me and he is very encouraging so I think he'll be okay with it!!!!!! Besides, I just deposited $120.00 in the bank for the last two cakes I did! I think I deserve it huh! icon_biggrin.gif

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

P.S. Sorry Cake Central that I bought the book somewhere else!!!! I still love you!!!! icon_lol.gif

Amy

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 58

cakemommy,

that's how excited i was when I hit the "purchase" button. I could not BELIEVE the price given how much it costs everywhere else! And I can't WAIT to get my copy!!! I've heard such good things about it.

see, now I have never made any money for my cakes . . . I'm not anywhere near ready for that yet. I bet if I was, I'd feel a little less guilty about the amount of $$$ I spend on all of the cake stuff! oh well . . . I needed a "me" hobby and I definitely found it with cakes. And any good hobby has start up costs, right?

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 58

I have the opportunity of taking Toba's wedding cake class on December 4th the whole week. We bake and decorate our cakes for a whole week. I bought this book and love it. You can bet that I will have her sign this new book. I am lucky to live here in NY and be able to take these classes. Toba
is a wonderful woman.

cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 58

Okay, so now bragging is not a good thing to someone out here in Washington State! Toba is the ONLY decorator I have anything in common with.....design speaking! She does what I want to do. I am trying my best now but having her books will be an even greater inspiration. Her books will go right next to my Lambeth Method of Cake Decorating and Practical Pastries book!!!

Please please please do share what you can about what she teaches you. Any techniques, tricks, equipment.........! Let us know as often as you can what she teaches you!!!!!!!! Share right back here on this thread so we can get an email update when you've posted!!!

PENDING YOU DON'T MIND MY HIGHLY UNUSUAL REQUEST HERE!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Amy

BTW....how much is the class? Like 4 Billion bucks!!!?!?!?!?!

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 58

I went to the site but that book is not available to shipment in Canada . Boy that sucks.

Thanks anyway.

Kathy

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard

I went to the site but that book is not available to shipment in Canada . Boy that sucks.

Thanks anyway.

Kathy

kathy, it is! i scoured that site and its there...it even does the conversion and everything...look under shipping options and there is an article on canadian faq!

cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 58

What can we do to help you get it. Maybe someone on here that lives in the US and is closer to you can send it to you. Maybe you can purchase it but the shipping address be to someone here in the US and then ship it to you! I'm saying someone closer to you because it might be cheaper than say me doing it since I live in Washington State. Kind of a ways from you! I would imagine shipping would be pricey! That's an idea!?!?!? I would certainly hate for someone with talent miss out on such a great opportunity to aquire more unique skills!

Amy

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 58

kathy here is the link....let me know if it went throughicon_smile.gif

http://www.cooking.com/guestassist/canadafaq.asp

ckkerber Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Okay, so now bragging is not a good thing to someone out here in Washington State! Toba is the ONLY decorator I have anything in common with.....design speaking! She does what I want to do. I am trying my best now but having her books will be an even greater inspiration. Her books will go right next to my Lambeth Method of Cake Decorating and Practical Pastries book!!!

Please please please do share what you can about what she teaches you. Any techniques, tricks, equipment.........! Let us know as often as you can what she teaches you!!!!!!!! Share right back here on this thread so we can get an email update when you've posted!!!

PENDING YOU DON'T MIND MY HIGHLY UNUSUAL REQUEST HERE!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Amy

BTW....how much is the class? Like 4 Billion bucks!!!?!?!?!?!

You read my mind . . . Amy. My first thought was, "boy, I wonder how much a class like that costs? Maybe if my hubby travels enough and he gets enough frequent flyer points, someday I can jet set off to N.Y. and take a class!" and I was also hoping that we could get the whole "play-by-play" commentary! icon_lol.gif

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 58

I also live in NY. I took Toba's basic & advance cookie decorating class (2 full days). The classes were great. I learned lots of things. The cookies that Toba made were awesome! It was great. I paid $250.00. In the morning you get a lite breakfast and you also get lunch made by the student in the culinary classes. Wine is also included. I recommend her classess.

cakemommy Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 58

I would have a tough time justifying a class that costs that much! Of course I have to add airfare to that too so it's much more expensive for me. I don't line in an area where I have the luxury of having professional well known decorators come and teach! The closest I can get to that and taking classes from a bunch of pros is attending Cake Camp every two years! That's still expensive though!

Oh well! I'll just have to settle for their books! I have Toba's cookie book btw and icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif is she good!!!!

Amy

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 58

Oh CC is so bad for my Christmas shopping budget. Just read this post and had to go order that book.Oh well grandkids and kids get to much anyway. Merry Christmas to me. lol. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 23 Nov 2006 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I would have a tough time justifying a class that costs that much! Of course I have to add airfare to that too so it's much more expensive for me. I don't line in an area where I have the luxury of having professional well known decorators come and teach! The closest I can get to that and taking classes from a bunch of pros is attending Cake Camp every two years! That's still expensive though!

Oh well! I'll just have to settle for their books! I have Toba's cookie book btw and icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif is she good!!!!

Amy

Taking classes from true professionals is ALWAYS worth the money when you see the results in your products.

Plus the better you get the higher you can charge to offset the cost of your classes!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #17 of 58

The class is 5 days and lunch included. All the materials are at your disposal for 725$.
I had one girl from California who took cake 2 with me and she stayed with a friend. Yes, they do cost alot, but the experience and learning a new technique you didn't think you could do is quite rewarding. I am spoiled by my hubby, and I'm lucky to be able to afford, but if I didn't do these, I don't think I would have the confidence to get out and start selling my cakes.
Don't want to brag. And if you all have any questions for me to ask, I would be more than happy to.

RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:36am
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixterfsu

The class is 5 days and lunch included. All the materials are at your disposal for 725$.
I had one girl from California who took cake 2 with me and she stayed with a friend. Yes, they do cost alot, but the experience and learning a new technique you didn't think you could do is quite rewarding. I am spoiled by my hubby, and I'm lucky to be able to afford, but if I didn't do these, I don't think I would have the confidence to get out and start selling my cakes.
Don't want to brag. And if you all have any questions for me to ask, I would be more than happy to.

You're not bragging! it AMAZES me how many people, no even through the basic Wilton Method course will decide to start up a business selling cakes on the word of their friends and family that their cakes are great..lol

without putting any other effort in learning, they take on projects that they are NOT prepared for.

I just sit with my jaw on the floor sometimes when I read posts! lol I try to help, but sometimes it's just beyond me.

After 25+ years cake decorating, 1 certification and my degree in Baking and Pastry....I STILL seak out classes and teachers!

It's like if I went ice skating, found out I could stay upright and liked the cold...and right then and there decided to start skating professionally! lol

Oye vey!!!! icon_eek.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #19 of 58

what is the lambeth method?

RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 2:05am
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

what is the lambeth method?

It's a method of over piping.

you start out with a number 7 or 5 tips and work your way down to the smallest tip.

you need a very steady hand for lamberth piping!

cakemommy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #21 of 58

The Lambeth method is a "layered" effect. Overpiping to be exact!!!! It's layer upon layer of piping typically done on a fondant cake with royal icing!!!! Stringwork is also a technique used in the Lambeth method. Joseph Lambeth typically used only 5 tips...#3, #5, #14, #16, #104! He uses a few others that are smaller versions of these basic tips.

ShirleyW here on CC has a perfect example of the Lambeth Method! Lambeth cakes are typically decorated on a bevel on the top edge and then one created by icing on the bottom edge!!!! It is quite a remarkable technique that is not widely practiced any more!!!!

Amy

cakemommy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:01am
post #22 of 58

vixterfsu~ This is at least the second class you have taken by her. Does she live in your area? What a wonderful opportunity! If I had a business and could afford it I would definately take the opportunity to learn from her or anyone else that is a professional. For now I'll just go on my confidence and her illustrations in her books to learn the technique. I don't think I've done too bad thus far learning from a book!

Amy

ckkerber Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:03am
post #23 of 58
Quote:

So how experienced do you need to be before it's worthwhile to take a class with one of the "masters"? I would imagine that you'd have to have a certain level of experience or else you may end up not being able to keep up.

RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:07am
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Quote:

So how experienced do you need to be before it's worthwhile to take a class with one of the "masters"? I would imagine that you'd have to have a certain level of experience or else you may end up not being able to keep up.

Nah, when you are paying so much money for these classes, they are very small and intimate and you get a LOT of help and assistance. They kinda go at your pace.

( sorry for the edit..it's 11 pm and I"m still in the shop baking..and decorating cakes for tomorrow!)

cakemommy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:12am
post #25 of 58

Risque.....~ Wow, you have got to be tired! It's nice though that you take a break for us here on CC! Good luck finishing up your cakes for tomorrow!!!!!!! Can't wait to see 'em!!!

Amy

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 4:36am
post #26 of 58

Wish I could take that class, too. I live WAY down here in Mississippi so I surely wouldn't have the money for that class, although I would LOVE to take it. Maybe I can at least save for the book. Does anybody have a link to a cake picture done in the Lambeth Method? I have been hearing about it here and would like to see it. Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

ckkerber Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:14am
post #27 of 58

vixterfsu - when I looked on Toba Garrett's website, I only saw her offerings of private classes that you'd need to gather your own group together for. Is there a list somewhere of general classes that she has set up or does she only do classes upon request?

I don't really know why I'm asking as the chances of me getting to take a class from her are slim but I figure my hubby travels a TON and I hold down the fort with our two little guys so I'd like to take the frequent flyers he's racking up and the hotel points and leave HIM with the kiddos for a few days while I spoil myself. Probably won't happen but even pretending for a while feels good!

cakemommy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:18am
post #28 of 58

Here you go! An excellent example of the Lambeth style!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_69299.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_69300.html

Amy

Edited~ Okay, totally do not know why those links don't work but you can just copy and paste.

cakemommy Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:26am
post #29 of 58

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel5010377&site=weddings

I emailed the creator of this cake, Wendy Kromer, and she is wonderfully helpful. She email me back within half an hour and then emailed me again the next morning. I had emailed her commenting on this cake, her Lambeth Style cake! I told her that I had just recieved a 1934 edition of Joseph Lambeth's Cake Decorating and Creative Pastries book!

She is very sweet and has unbelievable talent. No wonder Martha has her make cakes for her Wedding magazine!

Amy

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 5:30am
post #30 of 58

there's a copy of Toba's book on ebay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%