What Did I Do Wrong?????

Decorating By turnerdmann Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 12:25pm by turnerdmann

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 6

I removed cakes from freezer this a.m. Removed bc from frig. Made it yesterday. After cakes thawed I crumb coated. Then frosted. I was working on 6 cakes, so by the time I'd finished crumbcoating the last one the first one was ready to frost. After I finished the last one and began stacking the first cakes I noticed IT!!!! Frosting bulging on the cake I was working on, then it seemed to slowly slide off the cake in one spot. The other cakes (2 of them) began to show a bulge. I pricked with a toothpix and rubbed with Viva and that seemed to work. They did not seem to slide from cake. But what caused this?? I used shortening from Walmart with transfat. None of the cakes had filling.
Any help will be appreciated. It was humid today, could that do it. Thanks for your help.

5 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

Were the cakes thawed all the way? I generally don't freeze cakes due to the fact that every single time I do, I don't allow enough thaw time and something bad happens... like a bulge. I think it is the extra moisture coming from inside. Someone else might have a different answer though.

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:57am
post #3 of 6

That's exactly the problem I had when I was using the new Crisco with no transfat...but if you're using a shortening with transfat, then that is probably not the problem...like 2508s42 said, it may be the extra moisture from the inside of the cakes...maybe someone else will have a solution.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

oh gawd dont tell me that you had to let it thaw all the way...i froze mine to get it hard so i could cut it for the topsy turvy...ive already iced and put fondant on the bottom layer...***prays i aint messed up****

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:15am
post #5 of 6

I've noticed that if the surface of my cake isn't dry the icing won't stick. If I freeze a cake and let it thaw, I blot it with a paper towel before I frost or crumb coat. So far, that has fixed it.

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help. They may not have been totally thawed. Beings I did not have to tork them I may have began earlier than I would have. As for trans fat WarEagle I can not get this shortening to work like the old Crisco did. It still seems softer. I told my dh I was going to get lard. Just Kidding. Next time I'll thaw and pat dry.

Thanks again I feel better now. Thought I was totally losing it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%