My Best Friend Has Been Diagnosed With Ms

Lounge By Dordee Updated 22 Sep 2007 , 10:57pm by OzCookie

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 12

Today my best friend told me that the doctors told her yesterday that she has MS. I am at a loss for words and I don't know what to say to make her feel better. I held everything in until I got off the phone and then I just hit my knees crying and prayed to God to heal her and if that wasn't in the cards then just to help her live day to day with out suffering. This woman knows me better than my husband. She is the one I call when I am excited, sad, mad, etc. She has been my BF for going on 20 years now. She knows me inside and out. I just think that there may come a time when she won't remember the time we cut class or goofed off at school and got sent to detention. I am afraid that she won't remember me at all one day. She told me not to look MS up on the computer because it would only scare me but I did anyway and now I am sick to my stomach thinking of all the things that might happen to her. Her and her DH have had such a rough time lately and now this. She has an 11 year old son and she has no idea how to tell him because she knows he will worry. Please, Please pray for my friend that God will help her through this. My DH and I rent tents for parties and various events and we are going to put up a tent tommorrow at her church. I don't think I can hold it in if I am face to face with her. I don't want to make things worse and I am not sure when she will be telling her son. I know everything happens for reason and I am not questioning God as to why it's happening because I know i'm not supposed to. I am just praying to God to heal her and hold her hand while she is going through this. Thanks for letting me get this out and for your prayers.

Charlotte

11 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know much about MS, but I used to work with a girl who had it. If she hadn't told me, I would have never known. Her only problem was that her arms would suddenly give out on her and she'd drop whatever she was carrying.

It's shocking to receive news like that. Other people get those diseases, no our close family and friends, right? I'm sorry that you are going through this. ((((hugs))))

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 12

michellenj,

I know I am too emotional right now and I fear that she will have every symptom when in reality I know she probably won't. I am glad to know that someone can have it and others not even realize it. Right now she is having eye problems and that is how they caught it. I am glad you posted because it gives me hope for her. I just don't know anything about MS and so of course I think she will have every symptom listed. Thanks for the hug cause even thought it's cyber hug, it still helps!

Charlotte

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 12

MS has a textbook full of varying symptoms. Many, many people live nearly normal lives. A good attitude and attention to good health habits will have an impact.

Hope for the best.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 12

I know this is scary and I want to tell you it will be ok but I can't gaurentee that (sorry!!)

But... I have a great aunt and another close person that both have MS. My great aunt runs her own business and she has two kids (a freshman and a Junior in HS) she has had it for about 6-7 years now and you wouldn't know it if you met her. She has learned how to help herself through it. She had to change the hours of her chiropractic business, but her patients didn't care. She was able to adjust her schedule so that she can have a break mid day and she goes in later so she doesn't have to rush around in the morning. Now I know not everyone has this luxury so i'll tell you about the next one....

She has actually had it all her life but wasn't diagnosed with it until her mid 40's she was diagnosed about 3 years ago. She gets wore out really easily, but she can still do everything she did before... just in moderation. She does have a wonderful place that she works that has been able to adjust her schedule when she has bad days, and work longer when she has good days.

I have you and your friend in my thoughts and know that you will get through this, it will just take a little time to let everything settle in. Would it possibly make you both feel better if you went to a few doctor appointments with her, that way you can get your questions answered too and she won't feel alone (I know this helped for both people that I know have it)

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #6 of 12

I'm so sorry about your friend... My uncle's son had it and it did get him but it took quite a few years to do so. He had a good time even when he was sick and had trouble moving right. It's been about 10 years since he passed and so maybe they have come out with new/improved medicines for it, I don't know...

It's different for everyone and we can pray that she will have the less severe problems that will come with it. You, your friend and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #7 of 12

It's not an easy disease but it can be fairly mild. I know someone with it a little bit. She was diagnosed when her kids were pretty young, the youngest just left for college this fall, she'd had it for at least a few years when I met her 8 years ago. She left the kids and her husband a few years ago, at the time she left him the doctors had told him that she'd faked problems recently to get the drugs, there had been no episodes in years.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:55am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

It's not an easy disease but it can be fairly mild. I know someone with it a little bit. She was diagnosed when her kids were pretty young, the youngest just left for college this fall, she'd had it for at least a few years when I met her 8 years ago. She left the kids and her husband a few years ago, at the time she left him the doctors had told him that she'd faked problems recently to get the drugs, there had been no episodes in years.

I'm sorry, but I find that a little hard to swallow! My brother has had MS for 25 years - at times it moves slowly, at times it moves quickly. He has gone through several years of no "episodes".
You cannot have MS "a little bit" - you have it or you don't.

As for faking symptoms to get drugs - believe me, the drugs handed out to alleviate symptoms of MS are not something you would actively seek out for fun!!

If this is the sort of story her husband is spreading, then I am not suprised she has left him - and more power to her!

OzCookie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #9 of 12

Dordee,
I apologise for the tirade above, but I just "saw red".

I think it is great that you are educating yourself regarding your friend's MS, but do remember that you are reading lists of "all possible symptoms". This does not mean that your friend will get them all!.

All you can do at this stage is love her, be with her and pray for her - all of which you are already doing. Many people with MS live a long and fulfilling life, but it is sad that they lose many friends along the way, because people just don't know how to react.

I wish you both all the very best in the times to come - your mutual friendship and love will be your strength.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 12

my aunt was diagnosed with MS over 15 years ago and before she was diagnosed she was in the hospital for about a week or so and my mom and my aunt and I all went over to the other side of the state, where she and her dh and three young kids lived, they are pretty close to my age, anyways, my mom and my aunt helped take care of the house while my uncle stayed at the hospital by her side ... then came the diagnosis. It was pretty grim as back then there was not much they could do for anyone ... so she came home and was tired and sore and wore out almost all the time but over the years medication has helped her immensely and her kids grew up with a mom that was pretty much just like any other mom out there .. as of this point nothing has changed with her memory the only thing is these days she is getting more tired even quicker then before but she is also getting older .. she walked with a walker for a short period of time but 95% of the time she walks just fine, she says she has her good days and her bad days but in all reality if you were to see her you would not know that she suffers from it .. she just tireds out pretty easily ... I hope your friend is able to get the medication she needs and will be able to live a long fulfilled life just like many of the people on this thread are mentioning!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I'm sorry, but I find that a little hard to swallow! My brother has had MS for 25 years - at times it moves slowly, at times it moves quickly. He has gone through several years of no "episodes".
You cannot have MS "a little bit" - you have it or you don't.

As for faking symptoms to get drugs - believe me, the drugs handed out to alleviate symptoms of MS are not something you would actively seek out for fun!!

!

I meant I know HER a little not that she has it a little.
She has developed dependence on the pain drugs for it, what's so hard to believe about that?

Edited to add: Her family says the same things about her and her brothers are still very close to her ex, he didn't say them until AFTER she left him for another man and pretended to be going to counciling with him.
I wasn't trying to say that alot of people with MS are like this just that it can be fairly mild for years and show no symptoms.
This woman has lead a normal life, at least once she's even gone into Canada for the Sun Dances and gone through the skin piercing/hanging rituals that are part of some of them (that's illegal here).

OzCookie Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 12

Mbelgard,
Please accept my apologies - I didn't mean to jump on you like that. It is no excuse, but I had just gotten off the phone with my brother, who is having a particularly bad day.
I apologise unreservedly for causing any offence. icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%