Smoothing Cake With Paper Towl Directions Needed Please.

Decorating By colocak Updated 17 May 2006 , 6:11pm by Bettycrockermommy

colocak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colocak Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:54am
post #1 of 15

Help.....I think I found somewhere on this site that I can freeze a frosted cake and then smooth it with a paper towel or something. I would love to try this technique and am doing a wedding cake tomorrow....can anyone post where I can find these directions for a nice smooth cake.

Thank you so much in advance.

Bridget

14 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:02am
post #2 of 15

I've never frozen a frosted cake.. I've frozen cakes that haven't been frosted .. I also use the papertowel method (Viva brand) to smooth my cakes .. but I do this about 10-15 miinutes after I finished doing the 2 coat of icing on each cake...

colocak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colocak Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:05am
post #3 of 15

Maybe I was reading 2 different things and tried to combine them in my head....so can you share the exact directions of how you use a towel?? Is is wet or dry? Do you let the frosting set for a while first? Thank you.

ntertayneme Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:14am
post #4 of 15

the papertowel is dry .. you crumb coat, let it dry for about 15-20 minutes .. then you put another coat of icing to cover the crumb coat .. let it sit about 10-15 minutes and then take a Viva papertowel and smooth.. if you use printed Viva paper towels, make sure to use the non-printed side .. just use your hand against the paper towel and smooth going across the top and then down to the sides, picking up and moving your paper towel as you go .. I've always done all my cakes like this and you can get them really smooth .. let me know if you have any questions icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant.html

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:30am
post #5 of 15

Thanks for sharing that link tripletmom.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 15

NOW I get it! I have read this method before but it"s allways easier if I see some one do it.

THANKS tripletmom!!

Ambrosia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambrosia Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 15

I have a question abut this, too... Will this only work on a "crusting" buttercream or can I use a non-crusting buttercream and freeze it and try it? icon_eek.gif

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 15

This is a great method... I just learned of it and have used it recently, I was amazed how easy and what good results I got. It had taken me forever to smooth my buttercream out before.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 15

i cant wait to try this icon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 15

It would work with only crusting Ambrosia... the icing has to sit for about 10-15 minutes after you've gotten your final coat of icing on it before you start to smooth .. If you tried with a non-crusting icing, I'm afraid it would all stick to the papertowel ... Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 15

I did it yesturday for the first time and could not believe how great it worked! You'll be amazed.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 5:15pm
post #12 of 15

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this ... I tried it last night and it worked perfectly! This forum is a really amazing resource. Thanks again!

Jennifer

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 15

can i do this with wilton's bc recipe?

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 15

There is a recipe at the top of the page here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant.html

The recipe provided with this technique works really really well!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 15

midwestmom,

I use the wilton bc recipe, and it works great with the viva. I just ice the cake, and let it sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, and then smooth with the viva. Works great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%