While House Hunting?

Business By sweetcakes Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm by misterc

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:19am
post #1 of 20

If you were house hunting and found a house with a legal kitchen, say fitted into the garage would that make you more likely to put in an offer or not? We are putting one in and hubbby says he would pull it out before putting the house on the market when we decide to move. I say it would be a high selling point, not to everyone but quite a few. would you be interested?

19 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #2 of 20

I would. If not only for the legal kitchen to easily convert the garage into an efficency apt. or mother in law apt. I think it would bring value.

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:22am
post #3 of 20

Apsolutely.I would sell mine right now to buy one like that.I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't.

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:23am
post #4 of 20

Being a person who loves to cook and bake, it would definitely be a selling point for me!

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:31am
post #5 of 20

I know I would love it, but then it would also come down to price and how up to date it was by the time you would be selling. It would definitely restrict your group of potential buyers.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:28am
post #6 of 20

Ok I have said the same thing. When we going to build they mentioned what about resale?? If I could find a house with a legal kitchen I would move next week! Gold MINE!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 2:17am
post #7 of 20

As much as I would love it, and as much as most people here would love it, it's my opinion that it would probably be a drawback to the vast majority of people looking for houses. It's one of the reasons I won't be doing it do my own house until I'm rich enough not to worry about resale value icon_smile.gif

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:03am
post #8 of 20

Hey we are all cake decorators, of course we would, but lets see what other non-cake decorators say, I will post on yahoo answers and see what the general population says, because I am wanting to know the same thing.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:12am
post #9 of 20

I don't bake for the public. I do bake and decorate for family and family gatherings. I would love an additional kitchen. That would give me another oven for when I am having family dinners, another refrigerator when the doors on mine are bulging. And the very best selling feature to me would be......I could bake in the garage/basement kitchen and my house could be spotless for company. Sold and not to a cake business!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:18am
post #10 of 20

even if I didn't bake, I would want a house like this because of my big family, it would make my life easier!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:22am
post #11 of 20

I would think that it wouldn't be a selling point, very few people bake so much that a second kitchen would be something they were looking for. We're all obsessed with cakes and all the things you need for the cakes and baking so our opinion doesn't really count.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:24am
post #12 of 20

It's a tough one. BUT if you're starting to think about putting one in now, it's probably best to think about how it could be easily removed and relocated, for your own sake.

If you're thinking about resale now, I'm guessing that you may already be thinking about moving in a few years?

If that's the case, IMO, I would want to be able to take all the major fittings with me when I moved anyway, guessing you would want a similar second legal kitchen in the next house. .

So if you can build it with things you can take out, it will help both with resale AND prevent you from buying things twice that would still work in another place.

Am I making sense in writing here? Like maybe free-standing counter and sink areas that aren't permanetly attached to the garage. Wall dividers instead of building in dry-wall to divide areas. Things like that.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #13 of 20

Idont know. I would think that a kitchen in a garage may not be so bad. There is plumbing in the garage so if there was not all kitchen in the garage and some garage left for a man to tinker in, it may be a selling point. he could use it as a place to wash up or maybe even eventually make it a bathroom. my brother would jump on a garage with a sink and stuff. He almost lives hin his garage.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:35am
post #14 of 20

I would pick the brains of friends & maybe a few realtors.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 20

I agree with most of the posts here. We all think it would be super because we are hooked on kithcens. The reality is a garage or not will effect the saleability of a home. Some buyers will not look at a house without a garage, others, less and less these days, don't care.
As far as a kitchen garage, like czyadgrl said, if you can, make it ready to move. I have people wanting a large kitchen because of a large family, but not because they are bakers or decoratersl
Do what you would like for yourself while you are there, but don't expect it to be a selling point in the future. (the same as with pools, they are as much a hinderence to a sale as a positive.)

Junecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junecakes Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 5:12pm
post #16 of 20

I raised the question to my husband...he's a realtor...and his feeling is #1 it would not necessarily raise the value of your house. So, you would not get the money back that you put in. #2 you would most likely limit the number of interested parties as most people would not be able to see beyond the kitchen. For instance, a heated garage with plumbing available etc. We both agree that it would be wise to build it in such a way that you are able to take fixtures and appliances with you. Just remember to reserve them when and if you list the house!!! HTH

Cindy

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 20

thanks everyone for the input. we did build in a wall but everything is screwed in place. the fixtures i could remove and take with me. but i will certainly keep in mind what cindy has said.

thank you all very much.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 20

I think the general population outweighs the cake decorators out there.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 12:54am
post #19 of 20

I am sure that a ton of people on this forum would be interested, but we are only a small population.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 20

I would but I know plenty of people who would be turned off by it. With that sais, it wouldn't stop me from putting a professional kitchen in my house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%