I Want To Do More!!!

Decorating By princessdepastel Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 11:04pm by nicolevoorhout

princessdepastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessdepastel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 13

ok im going through a majorly messy divorce and cake decorating has become my own version of coke or or something. lol. im like a decorating junkie. the only problem is, i want to do more cakes. since im relatively new at this, no one really trusts me to do their cakes yet. but i know if someone gave me a challenge, i can do it. ive been an artist for 10 years and i can do anything i set my mind to. how can i get practice (as well as a nice little portfolio) going without spending a ton of money on fondant and having tons of leftover cake? how did yall get going when yall first started out? princess.gif

12 replies
thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 13

Make cakes, take pix for a portfolio and donate, donate, donate your baked goods. It is a great way to get your name out there. Caketherapy has helped many of us, but like any drug habit, you will have to spend the money in order to get your fix. icon_lol.gif

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 13

I second the donating vote, try nursing homes, firestations, etc. I also saw that someone hooked up with VolunteerMatch as a cake decorator.

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 13

Maybe you could decorate cake dummies, take photos, clean them off, decorate again for more photos? Just a thought. When I started, I had family who would humor me and eat my cakes. They loved it and were very sad when I decided I had enough experince. They now get in line and order cake from me 8- )

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 13

Buy dummy cakes, that way you don't waste any baking because everyone is sick of eating it. If you want people to trust you, make them cake and share, trust me, they will soon be asking you to make them.

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 13

I would also say use cake dummies.

What I sometimes do, is make a cake and decorate it, then just give it to friends for testing!!! Luckily they're still my friends, so my cakes can't be too bad!!! It also means, that we don't eat all the cake!

Don't forget to take pictures of the cake as well!

princessdepastel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 13

when i make a cake dummy, can i reuse the fondant that i cleaned off of it when im done? wont it get too hard?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 13

I started taking cakes into my kids' school for teachers and the staff. It was always a huge hit and consequently I did get orders from some of the teachers over time.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 13

I agree with the cake dummies. Decorate, take pix, take apart, and go again. Take sample cakes to every doctor, dentist and orthodontic office. Pediatrician's offices are great....their focus is children...which have bd parties...LOL...and many around here have bulletin boards for local business's cards, etc. Don't forget about banks...they do monthly bd celebrations in most branches. Donate to schools for fall festivals, freebie cake for PTO meetings and other functions. Donate to fire stations, police stations and hospitals. LOTS of opportunities with all of those areas. Take sample cakes to jewelry stores, bridal and tux shops and local party centers; ie, bowling alleys, roller rinks, science center; anyone that hosts children's parties or may lead to potential bridal clients. With every, every, every sample cake that you deliver, make sure to take plenty of business cards, brochures (with your cake photos included in the brochure), and talk it up. Check back in a day or so via e-mail or phone to thank the business for allowing you to bring a sample cake to their office and mention that you hoped they enjoyed it and will keep you in mind for future orders, etc. The main thing is to get legal when you start selling your cakes. Once you're legal, you can advertise for school and daycare parties. TONS of potential business with these areas, as well.

Good luck!!!
Amy

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessdepastel

when i make a cake dummy, can i reuse the fondant that i cleaned off of it when im done? wont it get too hard?

you could make mmf. for practice. that is very inexpensive to make.

princessdepastel Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 13

whats mmf???

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 13

THANK GOD for cake decorating....if i didn't have this i am POSITIVE i would have killed someone by now!!!!!! hahahahahahhaha
cake dummies are the best....definately do that....and if you learn to make mmf it is way cheap!!! if not.... go down the family calendar and start making everyone b'day cakes and delievering them to them!!!! nobody turns down a cake for their b'day!!!!!!!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 13

I take any opportunity possible to give new cakes as gifts, birthdays, birth of a baby, christening, retirement, as soon as there is an occassion, that I would usually bring a gift for I make and give the cake. I'm even doing two cakes for my own birthday one for work and one for family, gives me the opportunity to add two more cakes to my portfolio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%