Which To Use For Bows??

Decorating By busymom9501 Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 12:12am by IHATEFONDANT

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone. This is my first post and I'm so excited I found this board! I am attempting my first fondant bow this weekend for a friend's baby shower. I found a GREAT article that gave great step by step directions. I'm just curious as to which would make my bow turn out better: Fondant, Gum Paste or if I can use Marshmallow Fondant?

Also, my cake is going to be an 8" square on top of a 10" square....if I made my strips 6" long by 1" wide would that give me a fairly good sized bow??

AND...one last thing I promise! ha....how many loops would make a decent sized bow?? 25??

Thanks for your help!!!

5 replies
Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 6

When ever I make bows I use Fondant, Gumpaste will work too. MMF won't harden enough.

As far as how many loops.....25 is a good number because you'll have extras in case some break.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 6

I've used MMF with some gumtex in it and had no problems. Just knead in about 1/2 teaspoon into the batch and let it sit overnight (well wrapped and in a zipper bag) then knead again before using.

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips! How long will my fondant bow last?? How far in advance can I make it? The party is on Dec. 3rd and I want to practice to make sure it will turn out right but I don't want it to go bad. Is a week too early??

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 6

You can make it months in advance, if you choose. There is a great tutorial on this site for a loopy bow.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:12am
post #6 of 6

I like a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.

I've made bows weeks in advance to allow for drying. They don't go "bad" unless they are kept in high humidity..that makes them "wilt.".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%