Advise For 3-D Pumpkin Cake

Decorating By brownlg05 Updated 22 Nov 2006 , 12:08pm by olana11

brownlg05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownlg05 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 19

Hi,
I'm going to be putting together a 3-d pumpkin cake tonight, filling it with a pumpkin cream cheese filling, and topping it with fondant. The last few times I covered my cakes with fondant, I couldn't get it smooth at the bottom. The top and 1/2 way down the cake were fine ... the bottom next to the cake board looked like a wrinkled mess. How do I avoid that?? I don't want to have to "cover up" my mistakes on this one, because I want it to look like a free standing pumpkin! I will be doing a thin crumb coat, and then refrigerating it while I'm rolling the fondant.
Anyone that has any suggestions or pointers on how to do this cake, your comments would be appreciated!!

TIA,
-L

18 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 19

Do this the same as a pillow cake, lay it out, drape it over and pull out at the bottom to smooth, then tuck under. You'll have to make several passes but eventually the cake will be smooth at the bottom. Also, thicken up your crumb coat a bit, that will also help.

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 19

I thought this site was helpful in teaching me how to smooth out the bottoms using fondant-I'm making a pumpkin cake too ..

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/satin_ice_1.shtml

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 19

Thank you for that link, it was very helpful. I'd been doing it wrong!

olana11 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 19

You're very welcome! I was doing wrong b4 I saw that too icon_biggrin.gif

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 19

Great link! When I did my pumpkin cake, I had creases in 2 spots, and I could not get rid of them - hence the vines around the bottom of the cake. icon_razz.gif

brownlg05 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 19

Thank you Olana for that link! icon_smile.gif Now I see what I was doing wrong ... exactly what he said a lot of people do!
I'm excited to make this pumpkin cake ... what have people used for the stem? Not sure if I should mold it out of fondant ... or use an ice cream cone?? My bundt cakes have quite a wide hole in what will be the top, so I'm not sure how all that will work. icon_confused.gif
-L

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 19

make a wad of tootsie rolls.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 19

That was exceptionally helpful....THANKS I feel better having that, as I will be doing several covered cakes for christmas! This has got to be the best forum and site ever!!!!! , at least the best people! icon_wink.gif

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlg05

Thank you Olana for that link! icon_smile.gif Now I see what I was doing wrong ... exactly what he said a lot of people do!
I'm excited to make this pumpkin cake ... what have people used for the stem? Not sure if I should mold it out of fondant ... or use an ice cream cone?? My bundt cakes have quite a wide hole in what will be the top, so I'm not sure how all that will work. icon_confused.gif
-L

I made a pumpkin cake a month or 2 ago and for the stem, I used to scraps that I cut off the bundt cake (to make it level) and added some liquid and formed it together like a cake ball and molded it into the stem. It worked really well.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratchfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlg05

-L

I made a pumpkin cake a month or 2 ago and for the stem, I used to scraps that I cut off the bundt cake (to make it level) and added some liquid and formed it together like a cake ball and molded it into the stem. It worked really well.

Very resourceful, good idea!

olana11 Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 19

That IS a good idea-giant cake ball! I was going to say shove some cupcakes in there.... I like the way a fondant stem looks-just my opinion icon_lol.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 19

I made a fondant stem for my halloween pumpkin and in the midst of making 3 more for Thanksgiving. Look in my gallery...I just ,olded it, scored the sides and poked holes in the top for a realistic effect, then air brushed with brown and a ligh light mist of black. You could just as easy do this with pre-colored fondant too.
Good luck!

olana11 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:08am
post #14 of 19

schmoop, I LOVE your pumpkin cake! Did you use a bunht pan or what? It looks so realistic! icon_surprised.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:54am
post #15 of 19

Says in the cake details that it was a bundt.

olana11 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 1:10am
post #16 of 19

oops I missed that! icon_redface.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 3:47am
post #17 of 19

Yeah, I did use a bundt pan, but made my own creases so it looked more realistic. Thanks!

brownlg05 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 4:45am
post #18 of 19

Yay, I finished it before midnight! icon_biggrin.gif
It's posted in the Thanksgiving section if ya'll want to check it out, give me pointers!
-L

olana11 Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 12:08pm
post #19 of 19

You did such a good job! Bravo!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%