Help! Fondant Not Getting Hard

Decorating By 2060kenneth Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 3:38pm by stephanie214

2060kenneth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2060kenneth Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 7

i am trying the cowboy hat for the 1st time. how long does it take for the fondant hat brim to get hard!!!!

6 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 7

Fondant never really completely hardens. If you want something to dry hard, you could try gum paste or a fondant/gum paste combo.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

Add Fixodent(has to be the powder)to the MMF if you do not have any gum paste.

The MMF will not get as hard as the gum paste but will be hard enough to handle in about three days...depending on humidity.

thumbs_up.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

The MMF will not get as hard as the gum paste but will be hard enough to handle in about three days...depending on humidity.

thumbs_up.gif

what is the fixodent going to do to it? is that safe for ingesting like that... i know you put it in your mouth but is it safe to swallow should someone try to eat the hat??

you can use the gumpaste...or you can add cmc or gum trag to the fondant...it still wont get rock hard but it may keep its shape. and it will help dry the fondant.

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 7

I always add a little Gumpaste and that seems to do the trick.

2060kenneth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2060kenneth Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

thanks to everyone for the tips!!!!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 7

[quote="kjgjam22"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

thumbs_up.gif

what is the fixodent going to do to it? is that safe for ingesting like that... i know you put it in your mouth but is it safe to swallow should someone try to eat the hat??

The Fixodent will help harden the MMF. Yes, it is safe because you will not be digesting it...just using for the non-edible decorations such as flowers and modeling.

If you think about it, dentures are kept in the mouth all day and is constantly swallowed along with the saliva. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%