Need Ideas For A "sex In The City" Cake

Decorating By cakesbyallison Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 2:25pm by cakesbyallison

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:46am
post #1 of 24

I have an order for a 40th birthday party - w/ a "Sex in the City" theme. It will be a stacked cake, for large party... Any ideas?! I was first thinking "New York" (cab colors, city skyline) but when I think of Sex in the City, I think of shoes and martinis! Any other suggestions?

23 replies
mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:52am
post #2 of 24

Hmmmm....NY skyline and a giant cosmo!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:00am
post #3 of 24

I never watched the program.

But you're right, when you said the name - I immediately thought shoes, cosmopolitans and lingerie!

Oooh, and lots of bling and pink.....

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 11:09am
post #4 of 24

I'm in love with chocolate transfers after experimenting this weekend. You could do shoes & snazzy handbag transfers all round the edge? and definitely pink cosmos in martini glasses.

(not a fan of the show either, make sure if you us the name, it's actually Sex AND the City)

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 11:14am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyv110

(not a fan of the show either, make sure if you us the name, it's actually Sex AND the City)

lol..

kagezonen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kagezonen Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 11:24am
post #6 of 24

This cake might inspire you

I did not make it myself, but it was at a sugarcraftshow I attended last week.

Kind Regards
Karina

www.kagezonen.dk
LL

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 11:57am
post #7 of 24

I agree with a handbag and or a pink high heel shoe.

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 24

Since the main charcter was a colomist she was always on her laptop, always thinking of "Mr. Big" and was obsessed with shoes, the glittzy the better. Maybe you could do a city skyline, a small laptop w Mr.Big scrolled on it and really high heels????

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by olana11

I agree with a handbag and or a pink high heel shoe.

Me too! I have NEVER seen the show, but, the commercials I like are the ones about the shoes! Probably because I'm a shoe freak too!

Beth from KY

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 24

I love Ray's idea with Mr. Big incorporated! Definitely a pink Cosmo somewhere and maybe a fluffy flower-Carrie made them very popular wearing one with every outfit for awhile!

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 24

What great fun i love the show.

I would definatelya go with the shoes ideas a pair of blue (manilo's blaniks) Check me on the spelling. With a really high heels and really strapy, write the name inside the shoe like a label. A big flower. I like the idea of the lap top with Mr Big scroll. Definatley a cosmo and some glits.
Have fun and remember to post the pics.

X

Just a a quick look on the galleries type in shoes some good ideas there, Whole one with a channel shoe box and abg in pink and a brown one too.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 24

Defnitely shoes...when Carrie finally, lol, got on the internet, her email address was shoegal.

I don't know how many layers you're doing, but you could do one layer per person on the show, like one layer for Carrie with shoes, laptop, Mr. Big; one layer for Charlotte; one layer for Samantha.....well guess what I just thought could go on her layer, lol; and one layer for Miranda??

Just an idea.....make sure you let us know when you make it...I'd love to see it.

HTH!

cakesbyallison Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 24

Ahhh... you guys are great!! I definately have ideas tumbling around now, I'll have to start sketching some out! I think it will be a fun cake. LOVE your ideas!

I like the idea of the chocolate transfers, I have not done any, and maybe a good excuse to give it a shot! I'm sure there's instructions somewhere on this website!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 24

A pink lacy bra, a manolo (sp?), and a Cosmo would be great ontop of a cake. You could even do a Carrie inspired gumpaste figure.

I miss that show. One of my guilty pleasures.

Rachel

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 24

Allison, check your private messages.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 24

Shoes and martinis - for sure!!!

Stacked cake with mini fondant/gumpaste martinis around the first layer - could be multiple colors since they dranks so many different kinds.

Mini shoes and handbags around the second layer - definitly Malanos!

Top layer topped off with an open laptop with a Carrie-esque phrase on it like she always used to wrap up the shows with - you can find a bunch here http://www.sexandthecityquotes.com/top-rated-quotes.html

ShirleyW Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 24

Not Martini's, Cosmopolitans! icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:07pm
post #18 of 24

COSMOS for sure! lol

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:13pm
post #19 of 24

Manolo's (not quite sure how that's spelled) for the shoes for sure! What about a lacey teddy or something too (gotta bring the sex part in!).

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #20 of 24

I fell in love with the show via dvd. Definitely must have something pink and I agree with everyone else about the shoes. If you remember the episode with Carrie's book party they did cupcakes with a pink shoe on each. If you are really adventurous you could somehow incorporate a few cupcakes into the design. The ideas really are endless--NY skyline, taxis, the diner, cosmos, fashion magazines, names of all the guys, Paris, etc. let us know what you decide.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 24

milano blahniks, cosmo, and a lacey thong!

cakesbyallison Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:14am
post #22 of 24

...I did Shirley, but nothing there... ?

ShirleyW Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 1:45am
post #23 of 24

That is the strangest thing with this forum, some pms go through and others don't. Here is the cake made by my friend Gaynor Collingwood.
Clipart Edible images of NY skyline on gumpaste, black gumpaste Manolo Blahnik shoe on top.
LL
LL

cakesbyallison Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:25pm
post #24 of 24

That is weird, cause I received 2 emails that I had 2 pm's, but when I went in CC to check, there's nothing there... ??

That cake - WOW! Was this for a Sex in the City party ? I have seen the shoes, but afraid to try them! Thanks for the picture - I'll put it in my saved file.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%