Which Fondant Do You Use?

Baking By bubblezmom Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 6:47pm by MrsMissey

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 19

Does anyone use anything other than marshmallow fondant? Marshmallows with more sugar added would be much to sweet for my tastes. I've heard the cocopan is good, but what about white fondant? Thanks!

18 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 19

Wilton fondant is not too bad to use but absolutely taste horrible!! That's why I switched to MMF... yes, it's sweet, but what I really love about it is if it gets hard, you pop it in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds (depending on the size piece of MMF you're working with) and it softens right up and become pliable again .. I've never tried any other types of fondant besides these 2 but I'd be willing to try them if I heard from others that they really taste good icon_smile.gif

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 19

Have you tried Collette Peters recipe? I will try to post it here in a few. Gotta round up the kids before they trash the living room again!! The joys of an at home mom (of 4) and cakes all under the same roof!!! LOL If you google Collette Peters Fondant it will come up with a site that has her recipe. Hope that helps for now! And ntertayneme is right Wiltons fondant tastes awful!!! Even if you add flavoring to it!! Good Luck!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblezmom

Does anyone use anything other than marshmallow fondant? Marshmallows with more sugar added would be much to sweet for my tastes. I've heard the cocopan is good, but what about white fondant? Thanks!

I have used both.... but mainly Regular fondant... I have changed its taste with almond flavor and it tastes wonderful with it....

some of the people that have tried say it is not the taste as much as the pasty consistency of the fondant.. So, I try not to make it too thick...

Almond flavor mixed with vanilla does wonders for fondant...

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 19

I agree with ntertayneme, that Wilton fondant tastes like horse manure. It smells like old vinegar, I don't know, it's is horrible. When I started taking the fondant class at Micheal's, one of the girls would always get a headache - she attributed it to the nasty smell. The teacher always told us to add the Wilton Butter or vanilla flavoring to make it better. . .
The vanilla would help a little, but you could still smell the underlying vinegar smell. As for the butter flavoring, NASTY, NASTY, NASTY as well, smells like rancid butter to me, none of us in the class liked it. Why is Wilton putting out sush poor products out there??? Nevermind, that would be another post in the forum icon_lol.gif

Ok, this is the Fondant I use. Everyone compliments how good it is. . .
I've tried it, it's good, no nasty tastes. . . I just usually don't eat it, I'll give my leftover fondant to my niece or my mom, they LOVE it. . .
I looked on the web to find the pic to include here. . . and my oh my, it's expensive out there!!!! The 15lb bucket I buy here at a cake supply store for $28.00 was on the net for $59. . . YIKES! Not to mention the arm & the leg they would charge you for shipping that 15lbs bucket.
Lordy, lordy!
LL

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 19

I make my own fondant from the Wilton recipe, but I love it because I add all my own flavorings and everyone loves it! It's nothing like the packaged fondant, and I can control the taste and consistency. It takes some time, but it's what works for me!

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 19

i think i saw this the other day at Southern Homes and Gardens...then again, it could have just been buttercream. however, there was some chocolate fondant blocks there. i'll look more closely next time i go in there. as for the mmf, i tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago. i live in alabama - don't know if it's due to humidity or me not mixing it right - but it barely firmed up. my bow never firmed up enough to take the tissue out. there is no way i would be able to make bows out of it. anybody got any ideas on why it is doing this?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 19

Satin Ice, IMHO, is the absolute best fondant out there! It has a nice, smooth, creamy flavor and it easy to work with. Second favorite would be Pettinice...the texture is not as creamy, so it's a little thicker than Satin Ice but still tastes good and is also easy to work with. If I am out of those two, then I use MMF...which I think has a great taste but just not as creamy as the other two!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 19

I use the Satin Ice also. I've used the Wilton but it tastes terrible and I can't seem to flavor it correctly. MMF is good but I don't always want to have to make it. Satin ice has a nice vanilla flavor. The girls at work actually eat it when I make a practice cake (they eat the MMF too)

Debbie

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 19

I always make my own on everything I use esp. Fondant. I make, I don't buy icon_biggrin.gif Have a nice day everybody

ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 19

The reason why I use MMF is it's very cheap to make... I've only used it and the Wilton brand .. I haven't tried to make a bow with the MMF and with the humidity here, I'd probably use Wilton or some other fondant to make it out of ... the MMF only cost about $2 - $2.50 per batch to make .. it's very reasonable versus the pre-made type... and there is only Wilton brand available here to use which I just refuse to use because it tastes so bad... I, like alengirl, have tried to flavor this stuff and to me, it only made it worse! lol so for bows, yes, I'd probably use it for those, but to cover the cakes, I'm sold on MMF .. it's really not hard to make it to me ... comparible to mixing up a batch of buttercream, I'd say icon_biggrin.gif

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 19

I have tried the Wilton premade fondant (YECH!), and I am currently stuck on the MMF. I am still experimenting with it, as it is really sweet. I also made a cake recently with the Rolled Buttercream technique..I personally like that the best, but it's really greasy for others. I am going to try to make the Fondant using the Wilton recipe to practice Bows and things.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks for all the replies. I have not tried working with fondant. Sounds like the MMF would be an affordable way to practice. The "good stuff" sounds a bit pricey so I better know what I'm doing before I buy some.

I love this board! Everyone is so helpful.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Satin Ice, IMHO, is the absolute best fondant out there! It has a nice, smooth, creamy flavor and it easy to work with. Second favorite would be Pettinice...the texture is not as creamy, so it's a little thicker than Satin Ice but still tastes good and is also easy to work with. If I am out of those two, then I use MMF...which I think has a great taste but just not as creamy as the other two!

So what is this Satin Ice and Pettinice? Do you have to mix with powdered sugar or is it just like the Wilton ready-to-use fondant where you just knead and go?

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 19

Satin Ice and Pettinice only require a little kneading and they're ready to go. . . no mixing or adding anything. They're fabulous, at least they're fabulous for me and what I do. Another plus, is that they taste great!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 19

Hi there...I use Satin Ice also...it is sooooo yummy....I am about to try my first batch of MMF....being that I LOVE marshmallows......I think I might like it..

I winder if we sent Wilton a copy of this forum, they might rethink their recipe?

MrsMissey Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 19

..I get the Satin Ice in a 5# bucket and you just reach in there and pull some out, knead it a tad and you are good to go! Did I mention it tastes terrific??!! icon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 19

maybe they would adven68 lol.. I think everyone that's tried Wilton's fondant doesn't like the taste/smell at all!

I'll have to try the Satin Ice MrsMissey.. since it tasted good, you've sold me on it!! I'll have to order some and try it out. Do you buy yours local? Or do you order?

MrsMissey Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 19

..you won't be disappointed!! thumbs_up.gif I order mine in bulk online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%