My First Paid Wedding Cake!!!!!

Decorating By pancake Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 8:15am by janbabe

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 29

Okay, I was finally asked to do a wedding cake!! Yipeee! It was for a small wedding, only about 40 people. It's a 10" and a 6" covered in MMF, with gumpaste roses. Here's my question though,...although you can't really see it in the picture, my MMF on the small cake ended up looking pretty lumpy after I laid it on there...WHY? Was it rolled out too thin?..too thick? Also, the MMF kept sticking to my Wilton mat AND my countertop no matter what I used with it (shortening or cornstarch)...maybe my MMF was just crappy! Anyway...here it is!
LL

28 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 29

It doesn't look lumpy, it looks BEAUTIFUL!

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 29

Very nice. Great scroll work. Congratulations.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 29

First, I think your cake turned out great and you should be very proud!!

Next, about the sticking..

Have you ever used vinyl? I found out about it last month at the Ohio Day of Sharing for ICES. One of the demonstrators said she covers all her surfaces with it. When you roll out gumpaste or fondant- IT DOESN'T STICK. So, you only have to dust your rolling pin.

I immediately went out to my local Wal-mart store and bought a yard for less than $2. Not only is there less mess to clean up, it works like a FREAKIN' CHARM!!!

I honestly have no idea on the lumpy thing other than the layer immediately under it was not smooth.

Congrats again!!!

-Michelle

kjackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjackson Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 29

Very pretty!! I love the colors & the scroll work is very nice. Great job.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 29

very pretty and your roses look wonderful...great colours too!!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 29

I think it's very pretty and love the color of the roses. Great job!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 29

Step back from the cake, you are way too close!

From my vantage point I don't see the flaws you see. I think you did an excellent job, congratulations on completing your first paid wedding cake. Many more will follow.

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:18am
post #9 of 29

I think it is beautiful I love purple great work icon_smile.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:24am
post #10 of 29

Looks great to me! Love the colours, you are good at this thumbs_up.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 7:57am
post #11 of 29

the only time my gets lumpy is when i have ait pockets ...then i just work those out or my icing wasnt smooth to begin with.........

other wise i just use a huge silpat i have and spray some no-stick on it and it come on and off fine.....

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:24am
post #12 of 29

You have made a beautiful cake. Congratulations. I love the colour. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:39am
post #13 of 29

Great cake! Love your roses, are they buttercream or MMF/gumpaste?

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:40am
post #14 of 29

Pancake - You've done an excellent wedding cake, it looks really lovely. Be proud of yourself. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

msauer - Great tip about the vinyl, I'll have to try it. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

neurnr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neurnr Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 9:22am
post #15 of 29

looks beautiful! I tried to cover up a lumpy cake with extra thick crumb coat to smooth it out, bit when I put the mmf on it was horribly lumpy. Maybe something like that was the prob? Also - the vinyl does work great! Just covered a 16" square and it worked perfect. The vinyl sticks to the table as well, so it doesn't slide around like the wilton mat tends to too.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 9:49am
post #16 of 29

My fabourite colour - Purple!

Listen, no offence but I think it may be time to get your eyes checked! ('icon_wink.gif')
cause all I can see is a gorgeous, smooth, beautifully decorated cake.

Congratulations on your first wedding cake!

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 29

Thanks you guys!! I swear, the small cake really was lumpy!....my camera just did a really good job hiding it. ....

lastingmoments, I think you're right about the air pockets, I noticed them when I was rolling out the fondant, I couldn't get rid of them though after I laid it onto the cake. icon_confused.gif

msauer, I am so going to Wal-Mart today to buy some vinyl!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much for that tip!!

bonjovibabe, the roses are gumpaste.....I think, ...I may have mixed a bit of fondant in there, I can't remember....I was tired!

Thanks again guys, for the compliments and the advice (even the ones about my eyesight!!) icon_lol.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 6:12pm
post #18 of 29

Hey all,

Just curious: what would be the purpose of blending MMF and Gumpaste in leiu of just using one or the other? New to this...

niquealodeon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niquealodeon Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:05pm
post #19 of 29

OK what is vinyl exactly? Is Walmart the only place to get it? Can I get it somewhere else?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:14pm
post #20 of 29

I think your cake is just beautiful!!! You did an outstanding job on it!!

If I get air bubbles, I prick them with a very small pin and lightly press on them to push out the air and help seal the tiny hole off ... I usually notice mine while I'm rolling out the MMF and just slightly pierce them with a pin and they go away ...

when my MMF sticks, I usually pick up the entire amount of the MMF, grease my hands lightly with Crisco and massage it into the MMF ... then I'll re-roll .. that usually helps mine to stop sticking .. if the humidity is high, I have problems with it sticking with just about every method I try ..

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #21 of 29

What a cute cute cute cake! Congratulations on your first order!!

niquealodeon Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:05pm
post #22 of 29

OK what is vinyl exactly? Is Walmart the only place to get it? Can I get it somewhere else?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:13pm
post #23 of 29

It's gorgeous! I can't see any flaws at all.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:19pm
post #24 of 29

niquelodean,
you can get the vinyl @wal-mart in the fabric department or any other place that sells fabrics. I think you could even get it at a hardware store, depending on where you live I guess. It comes in different thicknesses, you don't want the super thin, but you don't want the super thick stuff either. It is super cheap! Hope that helps.

niquealodeon Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 29

Thank you Charlotte! Very helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:14pm
post #26 of 29

I just got some vinyl to do a project this past weekend. It is clear and there was some paper on it that looked like it was made for covering furniture. They can surely point you in the right direction when you get there! Just ask for clear vinyl and they'll cut a length for you. Works great!

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #27 of 29

All I see is a beautiful cake that is very well done, and in my favorite colors!

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:47pm
post #28 of 29

I think it looks beautiful! I bet YOU are the only one who knows where those flaws are! I am sure the bride only saw the beautiful cake that we all see! We are our own worst critics

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:15am
post #29 of 29

Really pretty cake. I too like lilac and the whole effect looks lovely, no visable sign of lumps and bumps.
Remember, we are our own worst critics and will see things others dont' see.
Here's to many more cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

cheers
Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%