Bad Weather/storm Watcher Cake...help Please!!

Decorating By gakali Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 2:13am by gakali

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:50am
post #1 of 16

I just have no clue what to do....it's for a man's birthday. His wife says he loves bad weather!?! It's just a small cake for 10 people. Can anyone PLEASE give me some ideas?! Thank you!!!

15 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:15am
post #2 of 16

What about a chocolate transfer or a fbct of a man being drenched in rain with lightning flashing over his head. Sorry not very imaginative, haven't had my coffee yet.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 16

Why not make a tornado coming across a field, or down a dirt road. Probably a FBCT would work well for that. Or even a snowstorm with tiny RI snowflakes and his car stuck in the snow. icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck.

gakali Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks for the replies....maybe I'll look at weather-related coloring pages for more inspiration.... icon_smile.gif

funtomake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtomake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 16

if you know how to do spun sugar, you do a tornado with debris coming from it. maybe have him running towards shelter.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 16

or make a cake that looks like half a tornado.

just a bunch of rounds and pieces carved to shape.

"Hopin' you a whirlwind of a birthday!"

or

"Hopin you blow up a storm on your birthday!"
LL

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 16

icon_wink.gif Now Doug, aren't you just clever!!! What a good idea!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

or make a cake that looks like half a tornado.

just a bunch of rounds and pieces carved to shape.

"Hopin' you a whirlwind of a birthday!"

or

"Hopin you blow up a storm on your birthday!"

If you end up doing it this way, using a tornado I mean, you totally have to have debris in there. A cow or two, a tractor, some fencing. That sounds so rad!

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:37am
post #9 of 16

If you want something 3D you could use a styrofoam cone on a skewer and have a tornado on the cake. You can make a path of destruction where it has been. Maybe add a miniature of the man or his car. If you want a flying cow you can use wire to make it stick out of the tornado. I'm sure you get the idea. Have fun!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 16

I asked my DH, who is an official weather watcher, that question and he said, "Two words. Wall cloud." It's an area of clouds that extends beneath a severe thunderstorm. If a wall cloud rotates, it might precede tornado development. He said an illustration showing the parts of the wall cloud would also be cool. He also suggested hurricanes because this is hurricane season.

http://www.stormstock.com/Page%20City,%20KS%20Supercell%20Jun%2029,%201999%20from%2035mm%20MP%20digimarc%202.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Wall_cloud_with_lightning_-_NOAA.jpg/800px-Wall_cloud_with_lightning_-_NOAA.jpg

http://kelvin.ou.edu/METR%202603/meso%20wall%20cloud.jpg

http://stormeyes.org/tornado/SkyPix/skypixwc.htm

http://www.divetrip.com/photos/hurricane_wilma04.jpg

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 16

How about a dishevled farmyard with a purple cotton candy tornado? You could wrap it around a bamboo skewer, stick it in a cake and then see if you could attach some plastic farm animals to it. You'd have to use a crusting buttercream recipe so that the liquid wouldn't melt the tornado.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 16

Hi gakali
Here's an idea, an overhead view of a hurricane you know the swirl with the eye in the middle and around the cake the semafore flags that signal a hurricane, red with a black square in the middle. If your not sure what it looks like just google semafore flags and it will be CVSFlags.com
Jibbies

gakali Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 16

Wow! You guys rock! Thanks for all the ideas.....now I have to decide which one to use! icon_biggrin.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 16

The movie Twister came to mind right away, with the classic scene of the town with the movie screen and signs coming down.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 16

Just for a completely different kind of idea. I live in Oklahoma so I do my fair share of storm watching, as in watching them head for the house! haha But for me it's all about watching the radar. A radar image on top of a cake could be awesome. Really colorful, and if you put the right formation on it, as in a hook echo, an avid storm watcher would definitely recognize it. Just to give you an idea what I'm talking about here's a radar image of a hook echo/tornado.
LL

gakali Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #16 of 16

Thanks again, everyone, for all your wonderful ideas. The cake is done, it's in my pics (my computer is acting up at the moment, I can't re-size the pic to make it smaller and attach it here). It isn't nearly as elaborate as some of your awesome ideas, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%