I Got Myself Into A Jam, Please Help.....

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 20 Nov 2006 , 8:52pm by keonicakes

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 17

This is the jet boat I have to make. Only the top is red and white checkered. How am I going to do this and make it structually stable for transporting? Nope, don't need to make the trailer. I thought maybe some how melting chocolate and pouring it on bottom then on the top and using something moldable for the motor. They also want dipped strawberries. I told the lady I would do it for $60.00 and she got upset and only wants to pay $30.00 We finally agreed on 40, but with 2 days notice and a sculpted cake, I'm kicking myself for agreeing. I'm such a sucker. Any advice PLEASE????? I'm out of fondant and don't want to make any for this price. I do have chocolate and gumpaste if thats doable.
LL

16 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 17

OMG does this lady think that you have cake fairies?
How big is this cake? Have you thought of mounting the cake into a base sheet cake for stability? (make it look like it's in the water). Is it covered in fondant or is it all gonne be bc?
Lot's of questions I know, sometimes that's the best way to figure out a situation.
One more thing, if you have access to an airbrush I would use it for painting it. Make some stencils n stuff.
Hope this gets the creative ball rolling.......so to speak.

keonicakes Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 17

thanks for replying. No fondant (darn, all out) I have chocolate and sugar paste if I need to do something with that. It will need to serve 15-20. I would prefer to do bc icing, but I need to make a motor, or would it be stupid to fill that part with the berries instead?

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 17

Can you make the boat and motor out of fondant/gumpaste/sugarpaste? Then place them on top of a bc iced cake decorated to look like water. You could arrange the strawberries around the base border of the cake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 17

You could make the motor out of sugar paste and paint it with the lustre dust. Buttercream sounds ok just make sure you have lots of viva papertowels or some regular ol' typing paper handy for smoothing it.
Well if it's gonna feed 10-20 I would make the bottom (the water) out of a 9x13 (quarter sheet) and cut up another quarter sheet for the boat. Frost it paint it and put the motor on the end

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 17

This is not going to help--but NO WAY would I do that cake for $40.00.

All I can think of is sheet cake, carved, white buttercream and then paint the checkers on it.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 17

You must really love that person!!!! No way I'd do a carved cake with that kind of detail for that little money!

She expected to pay $30? For that she should expect a sheet cake with roses and "Happy Brithday Floyd." People amaze me.

I'd probably do a checkerboard edible image, then cut to fit. That'd be a quick and easy way out. If you can find the appropriate checkerboard design, I can't imagine Walmart or similar place having a problem doing an image for you.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 17

I would do the boat in rice krispy and cover in fondant or mmf.

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 17

You need to watch your prices. I get $25.00 for a dozen dipped strawberries. Just stand your ground on your prices. If you let them get away with it, they will shaft you every time.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 17

Wow..too bad she doesn't appreciate what it takes to do sculpted cakes...I would make a basic gumpaste boat, colour it with paintbrush/food colouring and put in on a cake with water looking icing...
And tell her how long it took and that if she orders sculpted cakes again, she will have to pay for what it is worth..
Good Luck and let us see the finished cake!!! (or if you are feeling unmotivated, get a toy boat from dollar store and mount it on top of a blue cake icon_razz.gif )

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

thanks for replying. No fondant (darn, all out) I have chocolate and sugar paste if I need to do something with that. It will need to serve 15-20. I would prefer to do bc icing, but I need to make a motor, or would it be stupid to fill that part with the berries instead?

Keep it as simple and small as possible a cake for 15 people doesn' t have to be a showboat..lol

YES...if you can't make the motor do the strawberries and place them there.

if you possibly can...use airdrying buttercream...ice the cake, wait, them soothe it with whatever method you prefer. Then you can eighter pipe or paint the decorations onto the boat.

This is a lot of work and the strawberries alone would cost an arm and a leg, you really need to stick to your guns when you quote people a price, don't let them play let's make a deal with you, your time and talent!

If you need to make the motor, you can do out of the chocolate paste and if you have luster colors you can paint it, if not don't drive yourself crazy...leave a big hole for the strawberries!

Just do the best you can after all, it really is last minute and you can't take all the time in the world to work out every little decorating detail on the boat.

Remember..just have fun!

(I too discount cakes that I want to do, so I can stretch my decorating muscles, but the next one...pays! lol)

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:53am
post #12 of 17

Make the base of the boat in cake, trimmed sheetcake. For the top that sticks out, use gumpaste that covers the whole cake. It would be easier to make flat then lay on top after frosting with the details already painted on.

Is that price WITH the strawberries?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:57am
post #13 of 17

Keonicakes

I swear I have seen that boat. What state are you in?

keonicakes Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 17

patticakes'
I'm in texas, but my father is the former president of the southwest dragboat association. These guys race their boats all over the U.S. so it's possible that you have seen it.

Anyway, I did the cake in about 2 hours and yes, that price does include the strawberries. I could have done a much better job if I was getting paid to do a better job.

Thanks all for all the help.
amy

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 17

please post a picture!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 17

My son wants a jet boat cake for his birthday in 3 weeks. What I was going to do is make a 9X13 cake for the water and carve down in it so I can place my carved jet boat cake in the water. that way, you won't even see the motor!

oops, I didn't look closely enough that the motor was in the back of the boat!!

keonicakes Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 17

the picture is in my gallery. As far as the motor, these jet boats don't have the outbouard motors. They have a big block of some sort and I did the headers out of foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%