Edible Printers

Decorating By fittro Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 2:17am by swingme83

fittro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fittro Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:57am
post #1 of 83

Does anyone know if you can use a regular printer that has not been used and use edible ink in it or are the printers for edible ink different.
Thanks Stacy

82 replies
Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 83

I bought a new epson printer and ordered my ink from kopykake. I have used it alot and am very pleased. Kopykake also has excellent customer service. I had a problem with ink spots and called them 5pm on a Sat and I actually got to speak w/someone. They lead me through how to fix it and I have had no more problems. I would really recommend them.
Hope that helps.

Bohaney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohaney Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:22am
post #3 of 83

Amy729

Which Epson printer did you buy? I'm looking at the c88.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #4 of 83

I bought the epson stylus cx7800

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:43am
post #5 of 83

I also have the cx7800, and have been very pleased with it. Definatly get the chip resetter though becuase Epson has their ink cartridges "chipped" so that your computer tells you they are empty after so many prints, regardless of how much ink has been used.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:53am
post #6 of 83

Does it matter which Epson Printer you get?

Bohaney Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 6:37am
post #7 of 83

Where can I find the Epson cx7800.

Thanks

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 7:26am
post #8 of 83

If you are considering using the KiopyKake brand, you can look on their website and there is a link as to which pinters work for their ink cartridges. I have a canon and have been more than happy with the results and all my customers love the results, what more can I ask for.

belindajax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindajax Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:29am
post #9 of 83

I've got the Epson C88. I've only used it a couple of times but I love it so far. I got the printer on ebay and get the ink and frosting sheets from kopykake.

I had a little trouble getting it started and had to run the print head cleaning process a couple of times before it would print well but I used Lisa's troubleshooting tips tutorial on this site and it really helped.

I haven't got the chip resetter yet just because I don't use the prnter that much but figure I will have to at some point.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 83

OK, so I've read this and many other threads about the edible printers, I don't own one but want to buy one, I also read the articles here on CC, so I guess my question is also, where did you buy your printers? I've been looking at best buy and circuit city for the models mentioned here on the articles buy can't find them and on ebay, well, they have some but most are not new. Any ideas?
And, can some one send me link to the kopykake site where it mentions all the compatible printers?? Please?? For some reason I just can't seem to find anything off that website, it is hard to browse (or could it be me??) Thanks so much!

Bohaney Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 83

You are so right it is hard to find anything on that sight we might need to call support. I have found the Epson c88 at OfficeDepot i belive the cost was less then $80.00. I will go today to check it out.

nefgaby Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 83

Hi Bohaney, I would really appreciate any info, and $80, that is cheap!!! Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 83

I bought the epson cx4200 all in one new on ebay for $60. I also got a chip resetter on ebay for $5 versus $15 from kopykake.

Bohaney Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 83

Hi Tiggy2

was your system new? I would like an all in one the c88 is not.

Thanks

nefgaby Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:11am
post #15 of 83

And, may I ask? What is a chip resetter? What is it for?? Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:19am
post #16 of 83

Yes, as I stated in my post above mine was new. However, it was about a year ago so I don't know what's available on ebay at this time. Just do a search for that model # on ebay and see what comes up.

Bohaney Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 6:28am
post #17 of 83

The Epson c88 is at Office Depot for $79.99

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:28am
post #18 of 83

Thanks guys for posting all this information...now is it hard to start a edible image print on a reg. printer, I mean is hard to set up? Did you have many problems when you first tried (Im scaredddd)

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 9:44am
post #19 of 83

I, too, have been thinking of going down the edible image road...However, can you print anything and make it an edible image? For example, I have a baby pix of myself from many moons ago...can I scan it in and print it out? What if I find a picture of a happy face online, can I download it and print it out and place on the cake? I have a full understanding of copyrights...I'm just trying to figure out how this thing works before I invest. Also, can I use it for my cookies and cupcakes?

Thanks.

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:20am
post #20 of 83
kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:22am
post #21 of 83

I have the espon c88 and I don't know what I would do without my edible image printer. I am drawing challenged. I have printed coloring book images, put them on my cookies and "colored" in with royal icing, I have painted the images with food coloring and put on cookies for that handpainted look, I made a Bible cake, scanned my Bible and put them on so you could actually read it, edible image plaques,(tutorial by boween),I've put them on cupcakes. The list goes on.

nefgaby Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:03pm
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tana

Is this the one you guys are talking about???

Epson cx7800

Its only $49.99-WOW-

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&prodBlockOID=1611583158&expansionOID=-536907392

So does anyone know if this one is compatible too?? Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tana

Is this the one you guys are talking about???

Epson cx7800

Its only $49.99-WOW-

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&prodBlockOID=1611583158&expansionOID=-536907392

So does anyone know if this one is compatible too?? Thanks!

If you go to kopykake's website they will list all the printer models that are compatible.

nefgaby Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:50pm
post #24 of 83

I was hoping somebody knew... Kopykake's website, IMO, is a mess and so hard to navigate... I guess I'll call them instead... will keep you posted!

nefgaby Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:03pm
post #25 of 83

OK, sooooo GOOD NEWS! I called and YES, it is compatible, here is the link to the cartridge it uses:

http://store.kopykake.com/cgi-bin/store/T0695SET.html

And you also need this:

http://store.kopykake.com/cgi-bin/store/CN208.html

I'm sooo happy!

tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #26 of 83

You can pourchase a chip resetter for less on ebay.

nefgaby Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #27 of 83

OK, so you only have to type chip resetter on ebay? How did you search?

tiggy2 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #28 of 83

Epson chip resetter then see if it's compatible with that model.

Bohaney Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #29 of 83

I thought a refurbised printer was not recommended.

nefgaby Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 5:25am
post #30 of 83

NO, no refurbished printers, MUST be new!

OK, so I went to OfficeMax today and they are all out!! Not one of the compatible printers in stock, I also went to Staples and to Walmart and no luck there either!!! I just want to cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%