Edible Printers

Decorating By fittro Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 2:17am by swingme83

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #31 of 83

So, just wanted to add, in case anyone was interested... the C88 and CX7800, both Epson, are no longer for sale, people at Office Depot (called today, again) said that they change printer models about every 3 months, and once they all sold out they never get them again, they get the new models instead. (Since he explained that they make their $ off ink cartridges and accesories and not the printer itself)

Now, the good news, Canon IP4200 is available at Circuit City for $70 plus tax, it is NOT an "all-in-one" printer but just a regular one. Also, the good thing is that the ink cartridge is cheaper than the Epson one, compare $72 to $50 or even $45 if you buy 2 or more. So on the long run you save about $22 every time you buy new ink. icon_wink.gif

OK, so just wanted to let you all know, hope this helps someone! I'm on my way to get a IP4200. icon_biggrin.gif

Forgot to add... no chip needed for the Canon either!

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:34pm
post #32 of 83

Just to let you know, you can order form www.epson.com and they run sales often. The shipping is sometimes free also.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:18am
post #33 of 83

And the epson doesn't have a print head to clog.

nefgaby Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Hi Tiggy, what do you mean?? icon_confused.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Quote:

Hi Tiggy, what do you mean?? icon_confused.gif

Epson cartridges are spongeless...less likely to clog. icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 4:41am
post #36 of 83

Thanks Stephanie... sooo I guess that is the difference in prices...

nefgaby Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:58am
post #38 of 83

Thanks!!!! I had a couple of those saved on my ebay but I see new listings on the link you sent! Mmmm... might return the one I got at circuit city... Thanks again!

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:13am
post #39 of 83

save

tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #40 of 83

You might also want to check out this thread on refilable cartridges for the epson http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5380883 Sounds like a money saver to me!

nefgaby Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #41 of 83

Thanks!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:56am
post #42 of 83

What is the total outlay for printer, ink, paper, chip resetter, etc.? Ballpark figure? I'm thinking I may have to send Santa a detailed list if it's not over the gift limit! icon_wink.gif

nefgaby Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 5:00am
post #43 of 83

HI, well I'm estimating $60 for printer on ebay, $35 for refillable cartridge, also ebay, and $40 for 4 bottles of ink at kopykake, plus tax and shipping, and $28 for edible paper. So about $165, I think... HTH.

nefgaby Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 5:03am
post #44 of 83

Oh, and chip for canon is $15 at kopykake, $5 at ebay, epson does not need one!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:21am
post #45 of 83

Thank you, Gaby! Hmmmm, I've added it to my list! Not as bad as I thought it would be!!

Melonie1005 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:12am
post #46 of 83

Ok, I am going to ask a dumb question. I will probably answer myself before I am through typing. So here go's, Since Stephanie214 posted the empty refillable ink cart link, and they have models that will fit other printers(such as the Epson cx5000), that printer is not listed as a compatible one on kopykake. Could you still by kopykake's refillable bottles of ink and use it in them. Hope I did not confuse anyone. Please help.
Thanks,
Melonie

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:36am
post #47 of 83

I thought I heard that only canon printers were good for edible printing. I want to buy one but am not sure which one to buy.

Melonie1005 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:42pm
post #48 of 83

There are a select few Epson models that will work. That's why I was asking about using the empty cart. and filling with kopykake food colors.
Anyone know?

tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:20pm
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie1005

Ok, I am going to ask a dumb question. I will probably answer myself before I am through typing. So here go's, Since Stephanie214 posted the empty refillable ink cart link, and they have models that will fit other printers(such as the Epson cx5000), that printer is not listed as a compatible one on kopykake. Could you still by kopykake's refillable bottles of ink and use it in them. Hope I did not confuse anyone. Please help.
Thanks,
Melonie

I'm strictly guessing here but I don't see why you couldn't. Kopykake only supports certain printers with their cartridges but if you are using the refilable cartridges I see no reason it wouldn't work. Why don't you PM Stephanie214 and see what she thinks, maybe she will have more knowledge then I do.

dmmjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmmjj Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:35am
post #50 of 83

I was at the ARBE in vegas and got to spend time talking to several vendors about the cake printers. There are Epsons and Canons, both now use the chips. Epsons have a printhead that does not come out and Canons do. I asked Decopak about what happens when the epson clogs, and he stated that they replace the ENTIRE MACHINE since the printer cannot be fixed at this point. He didnt say anything to me about the spongeless cartridge so I cant remark about that. But decopak is pricey because of the royalties they pay for Mickey Mouse. I talked to Icing Images about the Canons. They just recently introduced the New Chipped Cartridges for the Canon printers. I saw their displays and was blown away by the colors. I went so far as to have CTP print an image on their epson and I brought it over to the Icing Images booth and compared the two. Hands down, Canon won. THe reds are amazing, they are actually red! They dont use a chip resetter and they come with instructions on what to do when it is time to refill. They said in their testing, they let the printer sit for a month without using it and when they went to print, they just had to run a cleaning cycle in the printer properties and then everything was running fine. They also came out with a new Non Toxic cleaner, its about $20 and seems easy to use from what they told me. I hope this is useful.

dmmjj Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:46am
post #51 of 83

I forgot to mention that the Chipped cartridges that Icing Images is selling come with the chip already installed on the cartridges so you dont have to pull the chips off of the regular ink cartridges that come with the printer and put them on the edible ink cartridges

nefgaby Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:48am
post #52 of 83

Thanks for the info...
Well, I just won a C88 printer from ebay, it is an epson, I hope not to be dissapointed. Kopykake recommended that model and some CC'ers recommended the brand. This is the first time owning an edible image printer even though I've worked with edible images in the past, so just one Q to anyone who already owns one... what happens if you don't use the epson printer for over a month? Do you keep it with the edible ink cartridge in place at all times?

Thanks again for the info!

dmmjj Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:58am
post #53 of 83

I dont know for sure. My experience with regular printers are that they like to print so if the inks are refillable, then put regular paper in there and print with it regularly to be sure it doesnt clog. All printers will clog if they sit long enough, so I would just use it for regular printing!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:31am
post #54 of 83

save

tiggy2 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:39pm
post #55 of 83

I don't use my epson for months at a time and it has never clogged on me. MY reds are red and my blacks are black.

stephanie214 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:05pm
post #56 of 83

The refillable cartridges on ebay comes with the chips already installed...just have to follow directions on first time use. You don't have to remove the cartridges from the printer to refill..unless you want to.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

dmmjj Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:52pm
post #57 of 83

I am sorry, I dont think I explained it properly. The Epsons are all prechipped no matter who they come from. The Canons, though are only prechipped through Icing Images. But as far as the colors, I was just explaining what I saw and compared at the show. I am glad you are happy with your colors!

tiggy2 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #58 of 83

dmmjj do you know which model epson they were using at the show? I'm sure it makes a difference which models were compared. Just like comparing a VW to a Lincoln. icon_biggrin.gif I'm would imagine the more expensive models print better then the less expensive models. And like anything else, someone is bound to get a lemon icon_cry.gif (let's just hope it's no one on CC)

nefgaby Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #59 of 83
Quote:

I don't use my epson for months at a time and it has never clogged on me. MY reds are red and my blacks are black.

Thanks Tiggy2!
OK, so I got the Epson C88, ordered the cartridge from ebay (thanks Stephanie) and will order the inks and paper from kopykake today! I'm happy to hear that your epson has never clogged, I'm guessing I would use about 1-2 edible images per month, and would hate to see my $160 go down the drain for not using it enough! Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

(I'm sooo excited, can't wait to start playing with my printer!)

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #60 of 83

I just wanted to agree that Canon is the better choice only because of the removable print head. Epson and Canon are both inkjet printers and both are just as likely to clog. With the Canon, the print head can be removed and cleaned. With the Epsons, it can't and a stubborn clog means a new printer. Here's a list of compatible printers...

http://www.kopykake.com/documents/PrinterInks-Xref.pdf

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%