Crystallized Ginger?

Decorating By sweetpppp Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 1:50am by JaneK

sweetpppp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpppp Posted 18 Nov 2006 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 7

I found a recipe that calls for 4 TBS chopped crystallized ginger..can you just use regular ground ginger? I can't find it crystallized. Thanks!

6 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:03am
post #2 of 7

Yes you can use it but it has a more intense flavor so be careful or it will overpower your recipe.

Rgds

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7

try a candy store. we sell it where I work in a candy store

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:18am
post #4 of 7

This time of the year, most supermarkets will have it either with the baking stuff, near candied cherries and glace fruit (for fruitcake) OR in the produce aisle with bulk nuts.
I wouldn't use ground ginger. The flavor is very different and if the recipe calls for crystallized ginger for texture purposes, the ground won't suffice.

Hope that helps!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:33am
post #5 of 7

I use it in my cranberry conserve... However, I did buy it once in spice jar size and it was outrageously expensive. It was called crystallized ginger. After that I switched to the dried candied kind they sell around now for holiday baking. It's a great cranberry sauce... has fresh cranberries, sugar, some liquid, juliened orange peel, strawberries, stick cinnamon, I put some port or sherry in as well. PM me if you want it. It's easy to make and you will never settle for canned again.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #6 of 7

Don't use ground ginger.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 1:50am
post #7 of 7

If you have an asian stores nearby, you might be able to find it there...the other place would be a health food.

I would substitute ground only if I was absolutely desperate...not the same at all...

BTW, candied ginger covered in chocolate is abolutely heavenly to eat!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%