Question For Certified Kitchen Ownders

Business By cakeconfections Updated 19 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm by cakesbycombs

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am starting the process of my kitchen. for those that have convereted a garage or basement, do you have a floor drain. I have read my requirements and it is on the fence. So before I called the health department and asked, I thought I would ask all of you just to see. I know everyone has different requirements, I am just curious. Because this drain is a large added expense to the whole project.

thanks

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 6

I put a kitchen in my garage and was not required to have a floor drain. I do have to have a grease trap, which goes into the floor and was about $1,000. I also was not required to have commercial appliances, so I just have a household oven and fridge. However, I had to add toilet/sink, a 3 compartment sink, a prep sink and a mop sink. One wall is about 12 feet of sink. icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 6

we don't have a separate kitchen. We were able to get our regular kitchen certified and they didn't require a floor drain. If we were in town, we'd need a grease trap though. If it's not hard/expensive to do, I'd recommend a floor drain anyway because it's soooo easy to clean the floor. You just scrub it and then use a squeegee to dry it off, bringing the water to the drain. Very handy.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 6

I wasn't required to install a floor drain either. We built my shop from a one car garage. They did want to make sure that there was no oil spots are anything on the concrete floor that might seep through down the road, which there wasn't and I was able to put my flooring in then. I also had to have a grease trap installed under the sink and I had to have what they call a "line break" in the main sinks where there is an actual air break you can see the water flow through. This keeps water that might back up from coming back into your sink. It will depend on what is required where you live, county, state, etc. Good luck!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #5 of 6

Hi Becky!
I'm sorry to say that I was required to put in a floor drain (and a grease/money trap). I have a commercial location though, so hopefully for your benefit as a home based business that will not be the case for you. It was not something the plumber had initially told me I would need, so it was quite a bummer and extra cost when I found out. Make the call to the HD, at least it can be a cost you plan on vs. one that sneaks up and bites you in the behind like it did to me.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 6

no drain required where i live

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%