Wafer Paper Edible Image

Decorating By lainee Updated 25 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm by 2txmedics

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

I ordred an edible image that was printed on wafer paper, before I read any of the posts about it here, and that most everyone prefers the images on frosting sheets.

Now my question is: Is there anything I can or should do to help the wafer paper dissovle into the icing on the cake? Will people think they are eating a thin layer of styrofoam or something?

I read where someone recommended spraying the back of the sheet with water before placing it on the cake. Someone else recommend using piping gel to attach it. Will either of these help it blend into the icing better?

Thanks in adavance,
Lainee

6 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 7

Don't use water--it will dissolve. Use the piping gel to attach it or smear on some fresh BC underneath to make it stick. The ones that I bought (that I will never buy again) recommended that you cut it with a serrated knife. I made a cake for my best friend with an edible image on the wafer paper and she told me never to do that again! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

I only use the stuff for things like scrolls and butterflies and signs. And doggy cakes. I don't mind putting them on doggie cakes. They have a nasty texture, IMHO. I think I ended up cutting mine with a serrated knife, too...now that I think about it. And I got a LOT of bleeding of the image after 24 hours.

lainee Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you Missyek and Crimsicle for your responses. I will take your advice. I just waisted $10 with the shipping, but that's okay. I'd rather have a tasty cake. Hopefully, I can find the same image on a frosting sheet. I wonder why the lady only sells wafer paper images?

lainee Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

I received the edible image printed on wafer paper today. I immediately did not like it. Just as described on this website, the colors were not very vivid at all. I believe I'll stick with the frosting sheets. I only wish I had asked you guys first before I placed and paid for my order. Oh well, lesson learned.

TinksNana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinksNana Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 8:18am
post #6 of 7

I just did my first cake with an edible image on it. I called the bakery in my local Fry's grocery store to see if they did these. They did. I took in a 5 x 7 picture. They printed the image on to rice paper while I did my shopping. They charged me $7.00 and it only took 15 minutes to get it done. I was careful with it as it is fragile. It went onto the cake very smoothly. No bleeding at all from the rice paper. It blended into the cake beautifully and I received many comments and compliments on it from the family. I will definitely be doing this again.l

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 7

is there a DIFFERENCE in any of these??? I bought what I was told is rice paper,...it feels thick and kind of stiff...one side is rough, other smooth. I have yet to use it...Im wondering how I can....will this be edible, and easy to cut??? I have so many questions on this matter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%