If I Have A Carved Layer Cake Due Thursday..

Decorating By lizzard14 Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 2:06am by lizzard14

lizzard14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzard14 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 3

Can I bake them, carve them, and put the filling (buttercream) and freeze them until Wednesday, then take it out, let it get room temperature, then decorate it? I'm kinda rushed for time is why I'm asking. I was just curious if any of you have ever done it and if it turned out okay.
lizzard

2 replies
FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 3

You can bake, cool, carve, and even ice and hen freeze it for Wednesday if you want. Buttercream holds up very well in the freezer, imo. I think it'd be fine. I've carved and finished the crumb coat and then froze it. When i take it out i leave it on the counter with the saran wrap/tin foil still on it as it defrosts. I'm not sure how long it'll take to defrost though. But once defrosts just go about finishing your decorating.

Also jsut make sure to cover your cake as well as you can! You don't want those other nasty freezer flavors to be sucked up by the icing and cake. I usually cover with two-three layers of saran wrap and then 1-2 layers of tin foil. Seems a bit over-the-top ,but our freezer is a bi on he stinky and strong side, so i like to make sure all my hard work won't get ruined and then i'll have to rush to redo everything. So better safe than sorry.

lizzard14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzard14 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:06am
post #3 of 3

Thanks Ferretdeprived. I can't decide yet what i'm going to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%