Depressed And Heartbroken.......long

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 1:09pm by chrissysconfections

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 8

I am so depressed and heartbroken icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . I just got done posting my mini tier pans on eBay icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I didn't want to sell these items...or all the others I've had to sell this week but DH said we have to do something. We need the $$ and they are just taking up space. I tried explaining how hard it is to find these things and how lucky I was to get them but he doesn't think they are practical therefore not worth saving. I didn't mind selling the character pans, the 3D pans and the shaped pans were a bit tough last week but I was hoping to get enough for those to stave off selling the tier sets. No such luck. I have held out ...only temporarily...on selling my complete mini heart teir set. I have everything for that one and I know I should sell it but I'm not gonna post it for a couple days yet....baby steps.....
Our problem is we thought I'd be legal by now and getting more business but the financial backing we have asked us to wait because he's paying for his DIL's chemo right now.....who would say no? She's having one heck of a battle on her hands and we certainly wouldn't ask him now. So while being patient is nice it isn't help us with extra income. I even have bridal shops lined up that will take my cards and advertising once I get legal but it's all on hold. To complicate matters further DH just had to have surgery and has been out of work for 2 weeks! So I went through my cake closet and started finding things I can sell on eBay. icon_cry.gif
Why couldn't there be a cake pan pawn shop!?!?! icon_razz.gif Someone to be the Pan Keeper for all of us who need an extra boost...it could double as a rental place too! LOL
Oh well I just needed to vent at a place where people understand the importance of "just a stupid pan".
Thanks for listening!!

7 replies
mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 8

Oh, I am so sorry! I'll keep my fingers crossed that nobody will buy your mini tiered pans, so you can at least keep those.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 8

*hugs* My heart goes out to you. It's so very difficult to sell off the things you 'need' for your business, especially when you've worked so hard and invested not only money, but time and dreams, in them. icon_sad.gif

We aren't to that point yet, and we knew going in that I wouldn't be able to get legal for quite awhile, but I've feared that I'd need to do the same thing. Hopefully, I'll have a job soon, and it won't get to that point.

Just do what you have to do, to keep your home going... the business will be there when you're ready to do it again, and it sounds like the timing is just not right at the moment. THere's a reason for this, though you might not know what it is right now. Just believe that this is the master plan, and that when things DO happen later on, it will be for the better.

That's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes! icon_razz.gif

best of luck to you!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 8

Wow!! How sad icon_cry.gif but you have to think you are doing it all for a good cause. Once you get back on your feet, then you can go to e-bay and purchase them all again. I know it's hard to let go of your pans, but see how much good is doing on the other end.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Things happen for a reason and hopefully soon you'll find out why when something superfantastic happens to you and your family.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

I'm really sorry you're going through this!

May I ask, though, what makes these pans special? I hit 3 local cake shops in the past 2 weeks, all of which had lots of tiny pans, from 2" round and up. They're quite inexpensive. I hope you don't let these pans go, thinking you're going to get a pretty penny for them, when the sizes of those pans are readily available?

Maybe you ought to pull the auction and have a garage sale. Who is your husband to determine the value of your cake items anyway??

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 8

Have you got books you could sell instead? Books usually sell well on ebay. Or perhaps advertise your cakes on ebay? I've done that before and got a few orders from it. Or make cake toppers or sugar roses to send to cake decorators?

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 8

Cakepro~ I don't expect to make a fortune on them...frankly the resale value on any pan isn't high...I bought the collector's book before I started selling them. Honestly the price you get has nothing to do with value....it's if your supplying something someone else wants and how bad they want it. I know the wizard pan and the dragon are worth around $40 but they often sell for a lot more just because they are hard to find and a collector. I know the precious pony pan in the book is worth $12-$25 and I paid over $30 for it without shipping because I wanted it for my DD first bday....I ended up winning 2 and resold the other and got over $35 for it. Character pans traditionally go for a lot less because there are so many out there but I've done pretty good so far...made $75 total on 3 pans that I've put up.The sizes may be readily available out there but so are most of the tier sets and people list (and sell) starting at new retail prices and they get tons of bids. The good thing is if it doesn't sell I get to say I tried and can keep them icon_wink.gif

emmascakes~ I don't really have any books to sell. I have some wilton magazines but the few I have I don't want to part with. I have two Debbie Brown books that are in great condition but again I'm not sure I want to part with them. When I bought the estate collection of the former decorater I got all these pans from, tons of books had come with them from the '60's and '70's but they were in really bad shape. Apparently everything was kept in totes in her garage when she gave it up so the books got damp and stuck together. Most were falling apart so I just took out pages I liked and threw most of them away.

I never thought to make stuff to sell on there but it's a good idea. The only thing is I don't have supplies readily available right now nor the extra money to buy them. It's definitely something to keep in mind for the future!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and understanding! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%