W.w.a.cc.baker.d.? =(What Would A Cc Baker Do?)

Decorating By NVP Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm by ceshell

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 15

icon_redface.gif okay, recently about a month ago... i posted a topic about everybody expecting me to bake my FUTURE MIL a cake for her b-day, long story short i was busy that week, that i didn't think it was a big deal, and nobody mentioned to ask me. Anyway, this friday is my BF's b-day. I work FT and have a child with him, and i am a PT student also. H e hasnt asked me for a b-day cake, but he did say that it wasn't necesary to get him anything for his b-day. I still plan to get him a b-day present but Should i make the cake? i know he would appreciate a cake like a paramedic truck cake, but i am busy but would you squeeze in time for a cake for your BF/ HUSBAND? or should i commit the ultimate sin and buy him a cake? icon_confused.gif

14 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 15

Considering your schedule, I think a nice gourmet type cake would be nice. I'd go fancy with flavour as opposed to fancy with design. Maybe a 8" round chocolate cake with a decadent icing or ganache or whatever his favourite flavour of cake is.

JMHO

Edited to also add - does he want you to all your very valuable free time in the kitchen or hanging out with him?

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 15

A simple cake doesn't take long to bake and ice. I'd make it for him! I think I'd feel slighted if my SO baked cakes for other people but then didn't bother to make one for my BD....Just my opinion...

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 15

I would make him a cake ( doesn't need to be elaborate - just the fact that you took the time to make it ! ) - It's not a birthday w/out cake !! icon_lol.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:05am
post #5 of 15

Just make something simple. He'll understand that you are very busy, and the gesture should go far.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:25am
post #6 of 15

Bake him his favorite flavor and don't make it overly fancy - guys just don't get into frills.... But let him know you have plenty of icing left over to play with!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:27am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeking

A simple cake doesn't take long to bake and ice. I'd make it for him! I think I'd feel slighted if my SO baked cakes for other people but then didn't bother to make one for my BD....Just my opinion...

Ditto that, and definitely agree that fancy decorations are not what matters. Just do something that tastes spectacular! It's just a nice gesture to say "I'm crazy busy this week but I still carved out some time to make this special birthday treat for you."

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:28am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Bake him his favorite flavor and don't make it overly fancy - guys just don't get into frills.... But let him know you have plenty of icing left over to play with!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

GI that would definitely work wonders! I would bake him a cake, but thats just because I make up excuses to bake!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:34am
post #9 of 15

My husbands' birthday is next week and I have an 8" square party cake, two two-tiered party cakes, one 3 tiered party cake, and a full sheet cake to feed 100 w/ custom fondant work to do!!

I will bake him his favorite cake and it will be iced plain - no decorations, no "Happy Birthday" - he will be thrilled as he knows my work load for that week. He didn't ask, it's just something I want to do for him.

my two cents....make a small, tasty cake and enjoy it! icon_smile.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 5:49am
post #10 of 15

I agree with everyone else to just make him a cake without the fancy decorations. My husband prefers undecorated cake. He says that I spend so much time decorating a fancy cake that he hates to cut it.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:03am
post #11 of 15

I agree.. Unless his favorite cake is actually made at a restaurant you frequent, I would make his favorite by you.

I'm not particularly busy, but my husband wants one cake, always... yellow cake (from a box mix) with chocolate icing (preferably duncan hines or the like). He even wanted that as his groom cake, but I had to spruce it up a bit.. hehe No decorations or anything.. Just bake it, and slap it together.. Don't even level it.. haha He's so silly sometimes.

Sadly, neither him, nor anyone in my family, ever think to get me a cake on my birthday. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though... if you don't have time, and you know for a fact he would rather have a dessert from another place, I'm sure he would be just as happy with that. You know him better than we do. icon_smile.gif

Good thing he's not a she, though.. because we're terrible for saying no we don't want it, when we really do. icon_wink.gif

Holly

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:21am
post #12 of 15

I would make just a little one - it would be the gesture that would make the impact. Something small and he fav flavors - then you can spend more time with him - helping him eat his cake.

icon_smile.gif

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you for all the suggestions, i think i will bake him his favorite red velvet cake, simple icing, and i should get my son to help me write happy b-day on it. he might like that simplicity! thank you everyone!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 15

if you have time after ft and pt you could....it would be nice. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP

i should get my son to help me write happy b-day on it.

Oh see that's even better! A cake made with love by the both of you. (Where's the smoochy-faced emoticon when you need it?!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%