Cake Ball Question

Decorating By pluto6210 Updated 21 Nov 2006 , 12:49am by jamiesue

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 62

I am going to try to make cake balls this weekend. I'm going to bake a cake to use tho as I don't have any scraps. Are most cake balls made using chocolate cake or do you all use different flavors? I picked up the chocolate mint truffle and also coconut creamers the other day and would like to use them. Please give me suggestions. I was thinking of an almond/coconut mix like almond joy. What kind of cake?? I'm assuming chocolate cake with the chocolate mint truffle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have french vanilla creamer. icon_confused.gif

61 replies
pluto6210 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 62

Bump.......please!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 62

You can use ANY kind of cake, doesn't matter. I flavor mine with coffee syrups. Also, in the past, I have added leftover ganache and bc to my mix, they have all turned out great. Its really hard to screw up cake balls. The possibilities are endless with those little things!
icon_wink.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

You can use ANY kind of cake, doesn't matter. I flavor mine with coffee syrups. Also, in the past, I have added leftover ganache and bc to my mix, they have all turned out great. Its really hard to screw up cake balls. The possibilities are endless with those little things!
icon_wink.gif

Do the coffee syrups give them a more intense flavor than the creamers? What brand do you use?

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 62

so do you have your cake bits and mix in your flavourings, then make them into balls and dip them or something.....

cheers
Jan

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 62

I made cake balls using both chocolate and french vanilla cake. I used the coconut creamer with the chocolate. I also put shredded coconut in the mix. Then after I dipped them in chocolate I sprinkled on more coconut. For the french vanilla I used a pumkin spice creamer. But you can use what ever you can think up.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 62

If the flavors of truffles you want are all chocolate, then make choc cake. Sometimes when I make them, I need choc and non-choc flavors, so I make a white cake. Put desired amounts in separate bowls, then the ones that will be choc, put cocoa powder in those before adding liquid. Do you also know not to add all the liquid? Only add enough liquid (or binding agent) to be able to form balls--to much and they will be soggy and nasty.
You can do a search in the forums for cake balls or cake truffles and you will see tons of threads on flavors/ingredients/etc.

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 62

i usually bake cakes for cake balls instead of saving scraps. I just bought the mint creamer and will try it too this weekend. I've done a butter cake with the vanilla chi spoce creamer. i've also tried the chocolate cake with the coconut creamer, lots of people liked that one. Can't give you many other tips as I'm not that liberal with flavor combos. when i make the mint choco, i will use the creamer in the cake (half the liquid) also. I read that and it sounded yummy. I'm also going to try baking my cakeballs for 10 minutes after rolling them, another suggestion from this board. good luck!

Wendoger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 62

Mocakes...
I am not sure about the creamer question as I have not yet used them. I have only used the coffee syrups, like Torani's or Davinci's. I have used the white chocolate, butterscotch, Malibu (coconutty flavor), cherry, etc. If you have a business supply store near you they are much cheaper. Where I live, at a regular grocery store they are around 7 bucks a bottle, but at Cash'n'Carry they are under 4 bucks.
icon_wink.gif

pluto6210 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 62

Now this might seem like a dumb question......but do you put your cake in a blender or foodprocessor to break it down. The recipe that I have said to put it in a mixer and add ingrediants. Is this correct? How do you all do it?

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 62

I have a huge order for cake "truffles" for Christmas so I'm starting to make and freeze them now- some flavor suggestions are s'mores, cranberry-orange (my personal fav so far), and just tried some yellow cake with coconut and marashchino cherries and finely diced walnuts--yummm!

Robin icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 62

Yep, it all goes in the kitchen aid icon_wink.gif
Only till it forms a big ball of doughy yummy stufficon_wink.gif

mdutcher Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 62

I always combine mine with a fork. I make the crumbs super fine, this way, then I toss the liquid in with the same fork until it forms a ball. I use the fork whether I am doing a couple doz, or 10 doz.
Am I the only one that does it this way?

icingpraises Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 62

mdutcher- nope, that's the way I do it too. Gives me a better "feel" for the texture as I mix everything in.

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 62

May I ask what type of coating y'all use. What brand of chocolate and what is the best way to dip them? I have never made them so I need help. Thanks ahead of time.

pluto6210 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonenia

May I ask what type of coating y'all use. What brand of chocolate and what is the best way to dip them? I have never made them so I need help. Thanks ahead of time.

Ditto! icon_redface.gif

icingpraises Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 62

Well, if you are going to dip in chocolate, I would use a good quality chocolate like Ghirardellis, or even candy melts. Steer clear of using almond bark. You can also roll in powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut, nuts, sprinkles, etc. The possibilities are endless! Don't be afraid to experiment with flavors and combinations. For those you want to dip, Wilton puts out a candy dipping tool set that is inexpensive. I haven't tried that yet though as I have used the good ole wooden toothpick method icon_lol.gif This will work best if the balls are to be frozen before dipping. Just insert a toothpick into each ball, freeze till good and firm, and then dip in your melted chocolate. The toothpick makes it very easy to handle and then place on your rack to set. Just as a "for example" on flavors, I have done triple chocolate, cranberry-orange dipped in white choc.(my personal fav so far), s'mores, and just did a yellow cake base and added coconut, marashchino cherries, finely diced walnuts, and will either dip these in chocolate, or roll in powdered sugar. HTH and let me know if you need more details! icon_smile.gif

Robin

mdutcher Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingpraises

mdutcher- nope, that's the way I do it too. Gives me a better "feel" for the texture as I mix everything in.

That's exactly why I do it that way!

Side note...OMG! Your avatar cracks me up!!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 62

Robin,
I feel duhhhhmb. The toothpick! I never thought of it! Cake balls just got lots easier for me!
Thanks!

duncansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duncansmom Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:00pm
post #20 of 62

I have made cake balls three times so far and they have only turned out once. I think I'm adding too much liquid. How much should I be adding?

icingpraises Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:32pm
post #21 of 62

mdutcher- LOL!! Cats...gotta love 'em....looks like we both do! icon_lol.gif

dana- glad I could help! and don't feel bad, I need a whole big shelf for my duh-prizes! icon_biggrin.gif

hi duncansmom- you know, I really don't follow the recipe for these things, I get a feel for how moist the cake scraps are while I'm crumbling them, and take it from there. If the scraps are already pretty moist, I may not add any additional liquid. If I feel it could use a little help I start out with a very small amount of liquid (actually, I haven't used any liquid coffee creamer in mine yet, just cherry juice or mostly icing) maybe 2T for about 4cups scraps, mix it in thoroughly, and only add more if necessary. You reallly need to keep the liquid or icing addition low--just enough to be able to form cake into a ball that will hold together. When I start to roll them, I do not have a problem with them sticking to my hands--they're not gooey. Just moist feeling. HTH! icon_smile.gif

nasarha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nasarha Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 12:09am
post #22 of 62

cranberry-orange (my personal fav so far),

Icingpraises can you elaborate a little on your combos--Think I am making this harder than it is but they sound delicious!

Is it flavors or actual cranberry orange items in the cake?

icingpraises Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:26am
post #23 of 62

Hi nasarha and a big welcome to CC!! You won't believe the tons of info. to read and learn from here--hope you enjoy!! Let me see if I can answer you on this flavor/combo question-- On the cranberry-orange: It is actually a cranberry-orange muffin mix (Krusteaz brand)! I just prepare the mix in an 8 or 9in. pan. When cooled, crumble it up, add a small amount buttercream, maybe 2T to start, combine really well, I like to use a fork or two knives, and then roll into balls of about 1in. I then like to freeze them (with toothpicks inserted) and then when ready you can take them out and dip in white chocolate. The s'mores combo: I add about 1 cup graham cracker crumbs to chocolate cake scraps, small amount buttercream (white or chocolate), then form some around a mini marshmallow, squishing together well, so marshmallow can't be seen. Freeze 'em and when ready, dip in milk chocolate. Triple chocolate is just chocolate cake with mini chips, or chocolate icing, and dipped in chocolate. Really the possibilities are endless. You can also use different chocolate for dipping- milk, semi-sweet, german sweet, or dark. I have a whole list of flavors and combinations that I want to try!! I hope all my rambling helped some icon_redface.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:48am
post #24 of 62

Question: How do you get your cake balls off the racks after they have set? I made these for the first time this weekend, and they stuck to my drying rack when I went to lift them off. I had refrigerated them a while to set the chocolate.
However they still turned out great. icon_wink.gif I made them out of a marbled cake (it turned chocolate when mixed though) I did not put in any buttercream like many of you are doing, my recipe didn't call for that? icon_redface.gif But I used the powdered sugar and then added some Ameretto liquor! Then dipped them in melted bittersweet 70% chocolate. They were wonderful! My family went nuts!

icingpraises Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:55am
post #25 of 62

Hey sweetcakes! Glad yours turned out great the first time thumbs_up.gif . As far as sticking to the rack-- I try to have a minimal "foot" on each ball by letting as much chocolate drip back into the bowl before setting on the rack. I think this helps alot. I had only one occasion when mine stuck and that was when I had made larger balls and excess chocolate on them.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 5:01am
post #26 of 62

Has anyone ever tried drying them on parchment? Would that work?

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 5:12am
post #27 of 62

every time i have tried drying them on a rack, they stick....i use wax paper and then just trim off any excess after they have set up

pluto6210 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:52pm
post #28 of 62

Now I'm confussed (which really is not that difficult to do...lol) Some CCer's use buttercream in their cake balls and some use a form of liquid ie. creamers or liquor etc. Now is this by personal preference or recipes that you all have gathered?

Also seems like you are going by the feel/texture of the balls as to how much moisture is going into them...correct?

I guess all in all it is something you have to play with to get to where you want to be in this process!

I'm going to give it a go this weekend so please wish me luck!
Sue

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:07pm
post #29 of 62

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your help!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #30 of 62

I can't wait to try the s'mores idea. Thanks a bunch icingpraises!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%