First Thanksgiving W/ Boyfriend's Family... Help!!! (Long)

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm by LucyintheSky

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 22

Okay, so sorry in advance that this is so long, but I'm panicking! This is the first Thanksgiving I'm going to have with my boyfriend's family (we were dating at this time last year, but not serious enough for holidays) and they are celebrating this Friday night. So last night, my boyfriend calls me and says "are we all set for friday?" and I said "yes, sure, but should I bring something" Well apparently when he asked what we should bring, his stepmother told him nothing but he said "Well, Lisa will probably want to bring a cake, because that's what she does now... she's making a great one for her family Thanksgiving that looks like a turkey, I'll have her bring that" So, WHAT?!? And then he felt really bad telling me that and said "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to volunteer you like that" I'm already working on fondant accents for this turkey I'm making for my family celebration which is actually ON Thanksgiving day. And now he told them I'll throw another one together in 3 days?!? icon_cry.gif I should also mention that I'm a full time high school teacher and am coordinating a fundraiser and a field trip this week! I am beyond overwhelmed...
So what do I do? Use the decorations I've already made for my family's turkey for this Friday then just make new ones for theirs? Is there a way to get out of this at this point? I don' t want to look flaky to his family, like I say I'll do something and then don't! But I also don't want to make a big deal out of it, since my boyfriend already feels really bad that he said it. And now they are probably planning on my cake as one of the desserts!

21 replies
kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 22

God you want to kill these men, Can't you just make something simple and explain that your boy friend is a bit usless and did'nt tell you. That's what i would do i know it's you first big thing with his family but he mucked it up. I'm sure they will be pleased with what ever you make.

God luck. XX

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 22

if i were you i would just let his family know how time consuming the turkey cake is. and how you have to prep for a cake like that futher in advance. tell them you would of really loved to make it but you just dont have enought time to make that cake in perticular. maybe you could make another cake that doesnt invole so much of your time to take friday.
good luck

azlorri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azlorri Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 22

Just my two cents worth...

I definitely wouldn't make two carved turkey cakes. (They are adorable but look like TONS of work.) But it would be fairly easy to make another simple round cake decorated like a turkey. Kristin did a stunning turkey cake that wouldn't take so much time....but would really WOW the boyfriend's family. And you can save the carved turkey for next year!!!

Here's a link to Kristin's photo (she did a great job):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Kristian&cat=0&pos=0

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 22

From the looks of those turkey cakes, there is no way to get one done by Friday with your work load. If you have time to decorate just a nice thanksgiving cake (whether just in colors or design on cake) I'm sure would be appreciated. It also depends on how many people they are having too. I think the turkey cake is cool for family, but frankly, if my sons girlfriend was bringing one, I'd just like a cake that could be cut and shared. It's the gesture and thought, not the design. Besides, it sounds like you're a little nervous about it to begin with, and that's the time things usually go wrong. This is supposed to be a time to enjoy with family, not go bazerk! Your boyfriend already stuck his foot in his mouth, so enjoy his apologies and kick back with a simple cake.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 22

I tried searching for the picture I'm thinking of, but couldn't find it. Someone made some turkey cupcakes that were really cute. The neck and head part was just figure piping and the tail was royal icing that used the same tip you use for a mum. She piped out a bunch of wax paper in fall colors and then attatched them in a fan shape for the tail. the cupcake itself was rounded and I'm not sure if it was a regular cupcake or something else. You could certainly do that in a couple days. I say do something different then what you're doing for you family. Just say you didn't want to make the same exact cake and wanted to experiment with something else. Of course I'm one for honesty so if it were me I'd probably just say, Oh Bob didn't let me know until three days ago so I couldn't get a turkey cake done in that time. But that's just me LOL. I believe in standing up for myself and not taking any bull from inlaws, but that's another isssue LOL!

vickymacd Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 22

In reading the other posts, I wouldn't apologize for NOT making the turkey cake and most especially I wouldn't say ANYTHING bad re: their son! No brownie points there! Just take a nice cake and enjoy your day.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 22

If you really don't have the extra time to make a "turkey" cake for Friday, I would just make whatever you feel you could fit into your your schedule. You could also do a FBCT of a turkey or cornucopia with some fruit, etc. I just looked on Wilton's site for some ideas and found something that may work for you. Check link below. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/turkey.cfm

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 22

I found the picture of the cupcakes I was talking about. Let's see if I can actually post a link...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-80787[/url]

PGray315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PGray315 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 22

Wow...what a situation! Having been married forever, there is one thing I've learned, my husband thinks I'm Houdini! I can just pull things out of a hat! So, I've learned to "involve" him, such as, running errands, kitchen duty depending on his skill (mine has none) making meals, keeping my coffee fresh, dish washing duty...freeing up as much time as possible for me be "magical". It also gives him a chance to see just how much time is envolved when creating a "masterpiece" icon_twisted.gif And...there have been times when I've told him to make his appologies for not checking with me before he committed me for something I am unable do.

Or..... another viewpoint..... if you really feel the need to take a cake, you could do something less involved or a design you have done before. Your pumpkin cake in your gallery is wonderful, BTW!

Two weeks from now it will all be a bitter memory! However, I'd muzzle him before he shares in the next holiday planning!

vickymacd Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 22

I agree with the muzzle! But you know it's going to happen again.
I think he is very proud of your work, so don't make him suffer too much!

LucyintheSky Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 22

Thank you all so much for the ideas! I'm much calmer about the situation now... great idea to just take something simpler and tell them I wanted the practice to try something different. Also, come to think of it, they probably won't even know one "turkey" cake from another... How do they know it was supposed to be an elaborate 3-D creation? An FBCT or cupcakes with turkeys would work just fine, I'm sure. Thanks again!!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 22

Knowing myself Houdini would pull the turkey out of the bag/ cant you make a small one, I know I know us women do not stop.....but what a wow factor...I always tell myself I was put on this earth as a people pleaser I bend over backwards to make everyone happy.....but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of making people happy.....

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 22

ugh! post lost icon_sad.gif

I suggest maybe a simple sheet cake, nothing fancy something fall like similar to this one

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=fall%20leaves&cat=0&pos=203&search=fall%20leaves

Maybe could use silk leaves from walmart in fall colors or maybe just do something like Happy Thanksgiving on it in fall colors icon_smile.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 22

LeeAnn i would be just as bad, i would actually think of taking the turkey cake planned for my family to his being that it is the 1st holiday together and all. I mean my family already loves me but if the inlaws start having a problem then thats huge. I'm sure if you do something simple they will be just as greatful so dont stress so much, just take a cake like BF promised.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 22

I'm insane so I would probably try to manage a small turkey cake - for the Wow factor like LeeAnn said. And then end up not sleeping from now until Satuday morning! Of course that is by no means the INTELLEGENT thing to do LOL!

If he did not describe the turkey cake to his Mom you can just show up with any cake with a turkey on it, whip up something simple and they will still be amazed. Do not say anything about a different style cake or the fact that he just told you Wednesday. Of course, HE should mention to everyone how wonderful you are that you just whipped this cake up so quickly considering the fact that he JUST TOLD YOU about it Wed. Then you can go all "aw shucks it was nothing, no big deal" on him. And of course tell him he has to make it up to you later - a nice backrub or foot massage maybe? icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

LucyintheSky Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 22

If my fondant accents dry in time, I might pull off the turkey in time (but I forgot to add gumpaste, so I'm not sure). I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and was planning on taking a half-day at work, but maybe I can take a whole day off to do the turkey cake. I'm going to see how much I can get ready for it tonight.... otherwise I have a backup plan for a nice fall-theme, leaf cake.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 22

OK let me understand this.... his thanksgiving dinner is this friday? your thanksgiving dinner is next thursday? Take the one already made (if it's already made) to his families and then make another for your familes icon_biggrin.gif

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 22

You could try something a lot eaier like just a turkey looking cake. Instead of one supposed to look browned from the over. There are quite a few cute pictures in the gallery of some easy mostly BC designs that you could do without a whole lot of extra trouble. That way they sort of get a "turkey" cake, your family gets the normal one you've already been working on specifically for them, and you get to keep your sanity.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:11pm
post #20 of 22

[quote="vickymacd"]In reading the other posts, I wouldn't apologize for NOT making the turkey cake and most especially I wouldn't say ANYTHING bad re: their son! No brownie points there! Just take a nice cake and enjoy your day.[/quote]
I agree. Just make a beautiful, yummy cake and present it with pride.

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 22

Here is another cute and simple Wilton technique:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/technique_month.cfm

It would be especially cute along the sides of a round cake.

LucyintheSky Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

OK let me understand this.... his thanksgiving dinner is this friday? your thanksgiving dinner is next thursday? Take the one already made (if it's already made) to his families and then make another for your familes icon_biggrin.gif

Yup, his is this Friday, mine is next Thursday.... but knowing I'd be crunched for time between now and then I have started making fondant decorations that I know won't be eaten (turkey feathers, a little hat, etc.). So the cake itself is not made, but some of the accents are. Obviously I was planning on using these for the cake I'm making for my family next Thursday... but I may have to rethink that now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%