I'm Ssssscared Of This Cake!

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 11:41pm by Anna31

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 39

I just got a possible first wedding cake order!!!! I did a wedding cake for my Grandparents but never for a real paying customer!!! I'm so scared and I have no idea how much to charge!!! She said she wants a three tier stacked cake with CAMOFLAUGE!!!! The camo part doesn't scare me. I've done that enough times to tackle that part. I am not sure what sizes she would want but I'm thinking probably a 14", 10" and a 6". No fancy fillings or anything probably a white, choc. and a marble. All with butter cream. Can anyone tell me what they would charge for a cake like that? I'm thinking about maybe all white cakes with CAMO ribbon would be nicer. Need to run that one by her. BUt I've never put ribbon on a cake before. What kind of ribbon do I put on a butter cream cake so the grease doesn't soak through?? I've not worked much with stacked cakes. Do you really put those flimsy cardboard separator plates between each teir? I know you are supposed to put a long sharpened dowel rod down all three layers so maybe so? HELP?? icon_redface.gif

Anna

38 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 39

Anna- I think the white cake with a camo ribbon would be most tasteful. You could always do a fondant ribbon - smush the camo look out onto a long rectangle and cut the ribbon out of that? That way it's all edible and you don't have to worry about grease issues.
Anna

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 39

Well, first of all, it depends on where you live and the cost of living too to help decide on cakes. More urban areas tend to cost more because people earn more and everything costs more... So, for that particular cake, I would charge (if 14" 10" 6") around $300 if there is no fancy schmancy stuff... but anything is extra.

Now, I happen to know where Clarion Iowa is because I was born there! And most of my family was from there (Grandma still lives there and is now ANCIENT). I know it's small, not close to any major area, and cost of living is relatively low and I gather, most incomes are modest... you probably couldn't get $300 for a plain cake... but I could be wrong. My bf in West Des Moines said that a cake that size would be about $500... but DM and Rural Iowa is different (BTW, she's from Spencer, IA originally).

what have you been charging for a single cake? I wouldn't price up for weddings, but do realize there is more expense.

And yes, you do put those flimsy cardboard things between layers, but you put several dowels under each (there are several tuturials on how to do this) and at the end, one dowel all the way throughl

And, BTW, congrats on the possible order!

Melissa

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 39

Well---I put those flimsy cardboards things between my tiers. I also put dowels to support the tiers and one sharpened one down the middle. As far as the ribbon-----I have no idea---I've never used ribbon on a cake before. I think your idea is cute though. In my area that would go for around $2.50--$3.50 a serving. I'm sure it's different where you're from. I wish you lots of luck!!!

Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 39

That is an excellent idea but I've never made MMF before. I have been meaning to for months now but no one ever asks for it! I need to experiment a little! I'm anxoius to learn how to do new things and branch out a little. I've had several people ask me about wedding cakes just in the past few weeks. I've been to scared to dive into that arena because the delivery scares me to death and they are SO much work!!!!!! I don't know how you all do it!!!! I need allot of practice!

Anna

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 39

first, your sizes of cakes will depend on how many servings she wants. I also think the white cake with camo ribbon would look really nice.

As for price I am in East central iowa and I price for just buttercream filling starting at $2/serving. I use a serving size of 1"x2"x4". I am currently looking at my cost though right now and looking at increasing them since all of our ingredients are increasing so much.

But hopefully this will help.

p.s. my parents just moved up your way to algona so I will be driving around your area quite a bit now.

berryblondeboys Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 39

Where in eastern Iowa? growing up this is how it went:

Clarion, Waverly, Fairbank, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, and then back to Clarion (when I was in college) and the Mount Pleasant (again while i college).

I don't know where everyone is now... brother is in Mt. Pleasant, Mom is in Cedar Falls, sister and other brother? I don't know (I had to cut off ties to family to preserve my sanity - WITH the help of counseling!)

For the rest of my life: Chicago, Philadelphia (not burbs, but the city in both cases), Waterloo Ontario, West Des Moines Iowa, and finally Burke Virginia a burb of Washington DC.... and I'm married to a man from Zagreb Croatia! LOL

Melissa

Melissa

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 39

I agree with dydemus on the fondant ribbon. Once you cut the ribbon if you'll use adding machine tape to roll the ribbon with, it will unroll around the cake with less stretch and without sticking. It will unroll like a roll of fruit rollups.

Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 39

Thank you Melissa and Cyndi!!! I feel a little better already. She is getting married next month in Vegas but isn't having her reception here till May or June. So I have time to experiment and broaden my horizons! icon_smile.gif

I don't think I could get $300 for it. I can't believe you used to live here Melissa!!!!! I charge $25 for a 9X13, $35 for an 11X15 and $50 for a 12X15. People around her pay that with out batting an eye. Especially after they have tasted my cakes. I pretty much have the market in this town. If they don't get it from me, they get it either from a lady in Goldfield that only does Angel food cake with cream cheese frosting or from the local Grocery store where the cake is barely edible. It's dry and the frosting has NO flavor. I think I could charge $200 for it. No more since she is a friend of mine and it's my first real wedding cake. She knows that it would be. She got the Hanna Montana cake I did last week and she loved it so much she wants me to do her wedding cake!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif I hope it works out because I'm scared but I do enjoy a challenge! And you don't learn new things unless you try right?

Anna

Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyjustjumpin

I agree with dydemus on the fondant ribbon. Once you cut the ribbon if you'll use adding machine tape to roll the ribbon with, it will unroll around the cake with less stretch and without sticking. It will unroll like a roll of fruit rollups.

Neat! thanks for the tip!!! thumbs_up.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 39

Yep, my family has a whole history there:

My grandmother was county auditor for eons, my grandfather was the town barber and started the drum and bugle choir EONS ago (like EONS ago) and my other side... My paternal grandmother moved there in 1968 when she married her second husband, Lyle Stromquist. he was the town and farmer welder fix it shop on the south side of town until he died about 5 years ago. Grandma might still be there.

My brothers went to a couple years of high school there. My mom and dad and uncle didn't contribute much, just grew up there and moved on! LOL

I lived there from 1969 to 1974 and then in 1990-1992. Lived in W. Desmoines for the year of 2004.

Melissa

Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

first, your sizes of cakes will depend on how many servings she wants. I also think the white cake with camo ribbon would look really nice.

As for price I am in East central iowa and I price for just buttercream filling starting at $2/serving. I use a serving size of 1"x2"x4". I am currently looking at my cost though right now and looking at increasing them since all of our ingredients are increasing so much.

But hopefully this will help.

p.s. my parents just moved up your way to algona so I will be driving around your area quite a bit now.

Thanks, that does help. I'm not sure how many servings she wants. Didn't get that far. We were waiting outside our Daughter's preschool class room for the teacher to excuse them. I'll be sitting with my calculator tonight!

That's neat you have family around here! I know were Algona is! My sister's In-laws used to live there. BIL has an Aunt that lives there still. I've always lived around here. It's always been Iowa with the exception of about two years we lived in NE. Grew up in Cedar Rapids, then Vinton, got married and then Ames, then Fremont, NE, then Hampton and now Clarion. thumbs_up.gif

Anna

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 39

there is a cake on here that is all camo with red roses ... i think it is pretty cool and it would be neat looking (and technically it would be easier for me than cutting ribbon out of fondant ... but that's me.) i'll see if i can find the link.

pidge Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 39
pidge Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 39

and this one: oops its daisies not roses ... but roses would be nice too icon_wink.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_905043.html
They are done by FlowerGirlMN

Anna31 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 39

Thank you!!! I did a search for camo wedding cakes but didn't find any!!! I put it into my faves so I won't lose it!! Maybe I'll show it to her. Find any more? icon_redface.gif

Anna

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 39

MMF is really not that scary, and once you start using it, you'll wonder why you were afraid of it the first place.

I aslo think camo ribbon on a white cake would be more elegant for a wedding, but what do I know, I wouldn't have camo on my wedding cake, lol!

Anyway, you can do lots of neat stuff with mmf that you can't do with buttercream alone. And it tastes pretty good too. You should try it out just for fun so you can start getting a feel for it before you get an order that has to have it!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:34pm
post #18 of 39

Just a repeat of what Pidge suggested.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 39

pidge, I just recently saw those two cakes, too! They immediately came to my mind!

Anna, you have so much time to play around with MMF, to find the recipe you like and get the feel for it. You'll love it. I like Rhonda's Ultimate MMF here on CC, the corn syrup just smooths it out a little better on the roller and in the mouth! Its cheap and easy to make, and colors like a dream. Have fun, can't wait to see pics!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 39

Just to add my two cents here, I used to work as a banquet bartender, and one wedding had a 3 tier stacked cake, iced in white buttercream, with a camo ribbon. It was not pretty. Everyone was whispering about how pretty the cake would be without the ribbon. (I'm in NO WAY telling you how to make the cake, but you described one that I have seen, and I thought you might want to hear the reaction)

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #21 of 39

I saw one in a video my husband got as a joke. But it was a real wedding. They had a camo cake with ducks and fall grass iced on the sides. It actually didnt look to bad. I was trying to find it on the web but no luck so far. I will keep looking. From another Iowan icon_biggrin.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:02pm
post #22 of 39

Anna, I just looked at your cake pics. You've done a lot of cakes and your work is good. Don't sell yourself short--better to set the price at what it should be, and if she balks you can always say, "well, just for you I'll lower it to...". That way when the next person comes along if they heard what she paid you can truthfully say "that was a $300 cake but I gave her a discount as my wedding gift for a friend." It also gives the bride bragging rights to having a $300 cake icon_biggrin.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:12pm
post #23 of 39

If you do decide to go with the ribbon idea, and don't want the grease to bleed through from the buttercream, maybe you could put some wax paper, or parchment paper behind the ribbon. You could use the double sided srapbooking tape or something like that, to adhere it, so you can cut it the same width and it won't stick out.

Hope that helps,

Holly

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #24 of 39

Hey!!! Congratulations on your very first official wedding!! I just read this and wanted to say Woohoo way to go inlaw!!! icon_smile.gif

Feel free to call me too if you have questions!

pidge Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:47pm
post #25 of 39

now i am kinda on a roll icon_smile.gif This one is BEAUTIFUL!! What about in camo colors?? very cool! Ihttp://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1026673.html

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #26 of 39

Another camo style comes from cakesbyallison. She even does a version in pink camo!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=27341

Good luck,
Debbie
LL

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:50pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge

now i am kinda on a roll icon_smile.gif This one is BEAUTIFUL!! What about in camo colors?? very cool! Ihttp://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1026673.html

do you have another link handy? this one comes up page cannot be displayed for me.

Anna31 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:06am
post #28 of 39

I can't get that link to open for me either.

Foxymomma, the very idea of camo on a wedding cake does nothing for me either. Sounds pretty horrible actually. I can't imagine why she wants that but she is not exactly the conventional Bride. I do appreciate the info! It's hard to picture in the mind sometimes! Personally I think it's really hard to make a wedding cake with a hunting theme of any kind look tasteful, however I have seen several on this site that are VERY well done and not at all tacky so I know it CAN be done! Looking to you all for inspiration here! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Meldancer, I've really been avoiding the whole wedding cake thing But I've been asked about it SEVERAL times in the last month so am starting to cave!! If I did decided to give wedding cakes a go, I would probably have to give up some of the sheet cakes that are keeping me so busy right now. They are just so time consuming and worrisome! I'm still not sure if I want to do this at this time in my life. For sure when the kids are both in school all day which is just NEXT year!!!! So I probably should start getting my feet wet..... yikes. So scary! Just starting to think of the MONEY that it could bring! thumbs_up.gif

Kidsnurse, yes I plan to use the time I have to play around. I'm a stay at home Mom so have time to fiddle in the kitchen. I just got some styrofoam cake dummies a little while ago so have those to practice on. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the recipe suggestion! Is it on CC? I'll be sure to look it up and print it off. I like the sound of the corn syrup affect!

Thanks everyone for all your comments! icon_biggrin.gif Anna

Anna31 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 12:30am
post #29 of 39

By the way, I found the recipe and printed it off. What is Princess cake, Cookie emulsion and Creme Royal flavoring? Where do I find them?

Meldancer, I LOVE your new avatar!!!! What an ADORABLE little Hawkeye fan!!!!!

Anna

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:02am
post #30 of 39

I agree... I thinkt he cammo ribbon is a nice elegant effect. But check with your friend she may want a totally cammo cake... no telling with some weddings. If its more casual and fun or more formal makes a difference.

Pidge has a great idea with the red roses with it... (I love that combo ... red and cammo. (Its the old army girl in me)

As far as charging. I think $2 per serving for a friend is acceptable. You have to remember that it takes TIME and really that is what they are paying for. The rest is just "icing on the cake" per say.

The stacked cakes are not as difficult as one might think. Its all about making sure everything is level. I always put 5 dowels (one in middle and 4 on outside).

MMF is great. The recipe is not a large one. Michelle Fosters Fondant recipe makes a larger batch... I use both interchangably... (depends on my mood) the MMF is softer though.

Good luck and Im sure you will WOW them.

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%