American Cake Decorator Magazine

Decorating By goof9j Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 3:51pm by CelebrationsbyLori

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:55am
post #1 of 15

Do any of you get this magazine or Mailbox news? If so, is it worth the money. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks

Jenny

14 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 15

I get the American Cake decorating mag. Is it worth the money - IMO no, as you can get the same informationon the web (Will I cancel my subscription? Probably not because its nice to browse through while lounging on the couch). The magazine offers a few step by step projects each month, lots of advertising (which I do like to look at), upcoming and past events, members cakes, etc...

I don't get MailBox News but would like to hear other's replies.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 15

Mailbox news. I've gotten a couple of the mags and I thought it was worth it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 15

i don't yet...but will (lord willing) when i get back to the states. there's a lot of great ideas and info in those magazines! icon_lol.gif

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 15

I've never heard of this magazine, where can I sign up for it?

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 15

Just "google" American Cake Magazine and you will find thier website.

Have fun...

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 15

I get both of those mags and love both equally. Mailbox news is not as glossy as American Cake Decorator, but I learn something new everytime I get them and its always fun to see what others are doing. I'd definitely recommend getting them both--you'll be glad you did!

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 15

I don't have either (yet). If you buy Softasilk cake flour, there is a discount for the American Cake Decorator Magazine on the back.

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 15

I love my ACD! My aunt who also decorates got me a gift subscription a few years ago and now I'm hooked! I think it is fantastic and so worth the money! It has projects for all decorating skill levels. Lots of things are done in buttercream or with airbrush designs. Some things are advanced too with gum paste flowers and the like. Even if you're not an advanced decorator it is so cool to look at the advanced cakes! And in a few years (with practice) you will be at that level and be glad to have the ideas and the step by step picture directions! I would definitely recommend it!

~Truly

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 15

Whew! I'm so glad to hear from those of you who love it! My sweet daughter, stationed in San Francisco w/ the US Coast Guard just got me a subscription for my b-day coming up! She told me yesterday, so it's funny this topic is on here today. I would hate to think she wasted her hard-earned $$$. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the positive comments!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 15

Whew! I'm so glad to hear from those of you who love it! My sweet daughter, stationed in San Francisco w/ the US Coast Guard just got me a subscription for my b-day coming up! She told me yesterday, so it's funny this topic is on here today. I would hate to think she wasted her hard-earned $$$. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the positive comments!

gailjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailjoe Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 15

both magazines are wonderful. mailbox news very often have recipes for cakes, icing and some catering ideas. i think they are well worth the investment, yes and investment. God bless each one of you. gail

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 15

I used to get both, but now only get MBN. ACD seems to concentrate more on fondant designs, which I don't do. Both magazines are nice for helping with ideas and to see what's new.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:01am
post #14 of 15

Love them both. I only do fondant accent pieces. But I always look at a cake and think of how I could do it in buttercream. I really cannot believe somone really likes to eat that chewy stuff.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 15

They are both great, but different. ACD doesn't have as many cakes in it, but goes into great detail on how to make those cakes, step by step. MN has a lot more pictures, but doesn't have any explanation on how-to. If you are the type of person that can look at stuff and figure it out, MN is better because there are more ideas from all kinds of different people. If you need a lot of step-by-step instructions, ACD is better! I think a lot of us probably subscribe to both just because they are the only ones out there! -Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%