Help! I Need To Kill Bubbles!

Baking By slent Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm by GeminiRJ

slent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slent Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:18am
post #1 of 9

I'm hoping that at least one of you (and hopefully more) extremely talented cookie pro's can help me. I've made both Antonia's and Toba's icing and find they are full of bubbles, hence the need to kill bubbles. Does anybody have any tricks or techniques or even different recipes that doesn't have bubbles. I like playing with bubbles but not in my icing.

Steph

8 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:35am
post #2 of 9

I use Toba's icing and haven't ever had any problems with bubbles. I mix it on low speed and use the flat beater and not the whip. I hope someone might have some suggestions.

darby822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darby822 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:36am
post #3 of 9

you can use a toothpick to pop bubbles

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:47am
post #4 of 9

Sometimes if I find a BC has too much air whipped in (I use Toba's but only rarely; I prefer IMBC) after beating it, I'll let it rest for a bit, then stir it by hand with a large rubber spatula and sort of "beat" the air out of it by hand.

slent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slent Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:55am
post #5 of 9

Wow, you guys are quick. Thank you! I really like Toba's icing but the last batch I made had a lot of bubbles, I think I'll try the flat beater. I did try the toothpick but I didn't get them all. If i can remember correctly (I'm getting older and that's getting harder to do) when I mixed Toba's by hand before I didn't have as many bubbles so I'll try that again too. I'm open to any and all suggestions (well almost all).

Steph

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:25am
post #6 of 9

On Toba's you should have been using the beater to begin with. That could explain it...Even with the beater, I still hand-stir it a bit sometimes.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:56am
post #7 of 9

I make small enough batches of Toba's that I never use a beater...always by hand. Even so, there is an occasional bubble that gets by me. I usually try to reserve a bit of icing to fill in the dimple left by the bubble.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 9

I mix color into my icing in plastic bowls. After mixing and thinning, I literally 'bounce' the bowl on the counter many times to bring the bubbles to the top. I also use nothing larger than a #2 tip to apply icing. Any bubbles left will be popped as the icing is squeezed through the small opening.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 9

Good tip to remember, Diane. I'll have to remember to use smaller tips for important cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%