Talk To Me About Stand Mixers

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm by Joanie4464

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 17

I know everyone suggests a KA, but that seems to be a bit out of budget. I have seen Sunbeams for very reasonable, but I know a lot of people don't like them. What about Hamilton Beach?

It seems to me that wattage would matter the most and the HB and Sunbeam ones have had more than the basic KA. Why is this?

16 replies
Xtina31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xtina31 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 17

Save your money and buy a Kitchen Aid. They last forever and I really love mine. I spent many years wasting money replacing other mixers that burned out and I finally saved a bit and got my KA.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 17

I'd have to agree with Xtina31. Save up and get a KA - it'll be worth it in the long run. I've had mine for 10 years and it's still a dream! Works perfectly! My mom's had hers for even longer and has never had a problem with it.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:43am
post #4 of 17

I have to agree. I have had mine for years and have really put it through a lot of tough jobs and it just keeps going. I am going to have to get a larger one though.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #5 of 17

ITA--get a KA. Use the Bed Bath Beyond coupons and get 20% off. Also around Christmas(I think) they will feature a coupon for a rebate or a free attachment. I bought mine around tax refund season so I missed out. Maybe it is around Mother's Day--anyone?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #6 of 17

MrsMom,
Have you looked on eBay? I have the KA professional 600 series. It was $200 cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:03am
post #7 of 17

KA,KA,KA!...that's ALL i can say!
I couldn't live without mine! I got mine this time last year at Kohls. Keep your eye out for sakes, AND coupons! I got my Artisan for WELL under $200, and they have all kinds of cool colors. Last ad I saw, they had the light pink, and I got my eggplant purple one there.

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #8 of 17

Sunbeam mixers are good, you just have to know your limits with it, mine still runs and it was my grandmas before me - treat it well and done overwork it and it will be good - for the HB: they have bad customer service according to many many reviews i have read - i was also looking into a HB - I am now just waiting until i can get a KA (and hoping there is a santa out there)
Goodluck

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:30am
post #9 of 17

I got a sunbeam last year for christmas and I have been nothing but happy with it. I even used it to make rolled buttercream last month (which the recipe says only to do with heavy duty KA) and it was fine. When I felt it getting bogged down I just slowed it down and used the dough hooks.

I would love a KA but for now it was out of my price range and this does the job...and I am not making money on my cakes yet so I cant justify it.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:36am
post #10 of 17

I couldn't afford a KA either but wanted a really good mixer. I go the Cooks from JC Penny and it is remarkable. 700 watt and very powerful. It was a lot less than KA too. I can't say it is better or worse than KA since I have never had one but I do know that it has the singler attachement that turns like the KA and does everything I have needed it to do with no problem.

Here is a link to it
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25439&CatID=26975&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1010d86&ProdSeq=13&Cat=mixers%2baccess.&Dep=Housewares&PCat=Small+Electrics&PCatID=25874&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=19&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=WindowSolutionHOM.aspx&RefCatID=25874&RefDeptID=25439&Page=2&CmCatId=25439|25874|26975

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 17

Wow, pattiecake! 700 watts?! icon_eek.gif Cool!

I guess I'll forget about the Sunbeam, then. I'm definitely not making any $ right now on my cakes as I'm just starting so I don't want to spend a lot. I'll either keep my eye out for sales or watch ebay and local classified ads. I saw a KA in a classifeied ad for $65. It was an older ad so I don't know if they still had it or not but I emailed them. We'll see. Hopefully I can find a pretty colored one! icon_cool.gif

For info purposes, which is the better KA...the Artisan or the Accolade?

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 17

I just ordered my refurbished Accolade from amazon.com for 174.99 shipped and I can't wait to get it! I decided to go with the Accolade instead of the Artisan for one reason only, it has metal gears and the Artisan has plastic gears. It also has 400 watts of power and the Artisan is 325 so it is a little more powerful. Hope this helps!

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 17

I too have been watching and evaluating the KA mixers. I have heard good things about refurbished units and how well they stand behind them. Where might there be a good source for them? Also, how did you find out about the different gear materials (pastic/metal) that type of info? I have been on the KA site and didn't find the info I was really looking for. I am thinking about a 600 series. Thanks!

bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 17

We had a refurbished KA that lasted for years, but the switch went out on it the week before I had a wedding cake to do, so dear hubby helped me but a new red one. It goes and goes and goes!

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 17

Amazon.com had the most refurbished models available that I could find and I found most of my information on there. They give pretty good information and there are also lots of reviews to read. I agree, the KA website wasn't very informative. I just searched around on the internet and did my shopping before I bought anything to make sure I was getting exactly what I wanted. Also, on amazon.com right now if you spend more than $125 in the kitchen department then they have a $25 discount using code NOVSAVER when you check out and the shipping was free.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #16 of 17

It seems like the Cooks is a good deal although I've never used one. I've used a sunbeam before and they're not horrible, just not quite as powerful. Speaking of power although more watts generally means more power it's not exactly how it works. It's how that wattage is converted, so really a 300 watt mixer could be more powerful than say a 500 watt mixer.

I have a KA and I also have a Bosch universal machine. I would NEVER pay anywhere close to full price for a KA. They're great machines if you get a good deal on them, but definately aren't worth the retail price tag. If you're ever going to spend that much look into a Bosch, DeLonghi, or Viking.

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 17

thanks for the info....I will check them out more before I buy. I also see that some have a 5 qt. bowl and a few a 6 qt. Can anyone give me info as to capacity and which you prefer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%