Any Ideas On A Fruit Basket Cake?

Decorating By dezzib27 Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm by dezzib27

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to do a fruit basket cake, now I want to not have the fruit on the top of the cake, so should I just do like a fresh fruit filling??
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

P.S.
This a last minute order, they need the cake on Saturday! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 15

well, what does the customer want?

I'm guessing they want fruit on top if they didn't give you any details. You wouldn't have to put real fruit necessarily. You could make some out of gumpaste maybe. There are some fruits that you could even pipe on with buttercream, like grapes or strawberries, blueberries, etc...maybe have the grapes trailing over the sides somehow...

If you're unsure of what they want, you probably should call them. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

dezzib27 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you for the suggestion, it is for my nephew and they want a Raiders theme, so I'm thinking they want real fruit. But I didnt find a recipe for something like that.

dezzib27 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 15

One more question, should I use whipcream frosting?

LaSombra Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzib27

Thank you for the suggestion, it is for my nephew and they want a Raiders theme, so I'm thinking they want real fruit. But I didnt find a recipe for something like that.

You know what you could do...do like how fruit tarts are made. You can slice up the fruit even if you want. Well, place the fruit how you want on the cake, then take some seedless jam or jelly and thin it out so it's the consistency of piping gel. Then, brush it over the fruit to seal it and make it shine. yum icon_biggrin.gif

Do the raiders have something to do with fruit? Sorry, I'm not a big sports fan icon_sad.gif

LaSombra Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:

One more question, should I use whipcream frosting?

not sure...would that be stable enough?? I haven't used whipped cream as frosting much myself. Maybe if you stabilized it (with gelatin)? You could try my whipped frosting on it if you wanted...There's a link to my recipes in my profile...

dezzib27 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 15

THANK YOU!!!!

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 15

Just an idea, why not do a chocolate basket for on top of the cake and then put the fruit into it?

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 15

You cannot use whipping cream alone for the frosting. Here's a recipe for a true fruit basket cake, but you could substitute the home-made cake for a yellow cake box mix. This link suggests using Whipped Cream Frosting (Duncan Hines makes one that isn't too bad).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/1233771

The cake supply shop in my area sells something called Flavor Right which is non-dairy, but whips up to a consistancy of whipped cream, but it can be used as a frosting. I don't know if you have access to that stuff, but it's pretty darn good.

HTH

oaklanraiderdude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oaklanraiderdude Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

Raiders,fruit??????? What?

dezzib27 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:11am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklanraiderdude

Quote:

Raiders,fruit??????? What?

LMAO!! No insult intended!!! Its my nephew b-day and his step mom likes the fruit basket cakes!

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:58am
post #12 of 15

I've made a Fruit Basket Cake similar to the link above and made my whip cream. I did make it the same day we ate it though, not sure I would do it again. I think that if I made it again I would probably use Shirley W's IMBC or one of the decorator whip creams from the cake decorating store as another poster recommended Yummy! HTH

Delia

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:35am
post #13 of 15

Another idea, make marzipan fruit.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:51am
post #14 of 15

I've had fruitbasket cakes where there is a layer of cake, layer of strawberry filling, layer of cake, layer of banana filling...and I want to say there was one more...either way, none of those cakes that I've had have had fruit on the top. I'd think you could decorate it as requested otherwise? I also know that the fruit basket cakes I've had have all had straws for support (just an idea). A Raider theme cake...what GREAT people! icon_wink.gif (Seeing that DH and I are Raider Fans...through the good and bad...haha). I'm getting ready to try a smaller scale raider helmet for dh that I'm going to make the bigger version for his bday in a couple weeks. icon_smile.gif Good luck! icon_wink.gif

dezzib27 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you all! I have decided to do the fruit filling, i made a mixture of mixed berries and banannas and I will put a layer of pineapple jam or something similar on the cake between the layers!! I cant wait to eat it! Ya and I also decided to make the cake like a football field thanks to inspiration from other CCers!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%