Satinice Vs. White Chocolate Fondant?

Decorating By mjs4492 Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm by thecakemaker

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 14

Need some help:
I've never used SatinIce and was getting ready to order some and I saw where Caljava has "White Chocolate Fondant" in different colors, etc. like the SatinIce.
What is the difference, the best, etc.?
Thank you for your help!! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 14

Please Help! I'm really needed opinions and advice with this! icon_smile.gif

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 14

I would like to know too! I'll give you a bump.

I am real new to fondant and I have just used satin Ice. I love the taste but it is expensive. I have tried MMF but I thought it had a powdered sugar taste.

I would like to hear more about white chocolate fondant.

Are you getting Satin Ice at a reasonable price? And how does White Chocolate compare?

mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for a reply!
Caljava has the White Chocolate Fondant (2 lbs) for 13.75 in all different colors and flavors. Sure wish someone would post about this - sounds great! They have the Fondx but no SatinIce.
Cake Deco (Pfeil & Holing) has the SatinIce (5 lbs) for 16.50 - cheapest I can find.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 14

I have only tried the chocolate "fondant" once - I ordered some in red, since it is so hard to get a true red with white fondant. I only used it for figure modeling, and the consistency was OK for that. I don't think I would cover a cake in it though - it didn't seem 'elastic' enough for me.

Personally, I use the Pettinice white fondant and always knead a little extra shortening into it and it works great for covering cakes (but not for figure modeling - too soft).

That's my opinion. And my first post here. icon_biggrin.gif

mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks!!
I've only ever used the Wilton Ready-To-Use fondant and have no problems - but everyone here doesn't seem to care for it. So I was just wanting to try the others.
Welcome!! icon_biggrin.gif

mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 14

I think I'm most curious about the taste's. My husband said he liked it but it was a bit chewy (the Wilton fondant). Because of the costs, I wanted to hear about the other types of fondant.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 14

To me, Wilton does not taste very good - but my children will eat it. I think the white chocolate "fondant" (really it's just modelling chocolate) tastes good, as well as the Pettinice - but they each have their uses, so it depends on how you are going to use it.

I did try to make the MMF recently as well, because it is so much less expensive than paying $35 for a 15 lb. bucket of Pettinice. I haven't tried covering a cake with it yet, but the taste is pretty good.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 14

I use Satin Ice. I've tried ChocoPan but found it too elastic and I had to stick it in the freezer to stiffen it up before attempting to move it onto the cake. It tasted delish but wasn't easy to work with. I'm not sure if it's the ChocoPan you were talking about but that's the only "chocolate" fondant i've tried besides the Dark Chocolate Satin Ice (which is yummy by the way)

Debbie

mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 14

Well, with your help it's the SatinIce that I'm ordering for now. Caljava did not call it Chocopan. It was called White Chocolate Fondant - that's what caught my eye. Please don't mention any more types!! icon_lol.gif Just kidding but I am writing all of them down. Maybe try one at a time....

thecakemaker Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 14

Let us know what you find out about the white chocolate fondant!

Debbie

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 14

Can't go wrong with Satin Ice. But would like to know about the chocolate if you ever use it!

mjs4492 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 14

Well, I was getting ready to order the SatinIce and noticed the Pettinice. Looked at a couple of different sites (Swiss Connection; Cake Deco) and I swear it reads like the White Chocolate Fondant that Caljava has icon_cry.gif
Then I went to SugarCraft and they have the Chocopan and it reads like the white chocolate fondant also. It sounds like to me that this fondant just has a white chocolate base icon_confused.gif
So based on your comments about the white chocolate fondant, I'm still sticking with the SatinIce for now. I think I'll get some of the Pettinice also.
I'll need to try both of them this week and post some photos icon_smile.gif
Thank you all for comments and suggestions to a topic I know has been run into the ground, but as you can tell, I'm still very new to this.

thecakemaker Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 14

Just to confuse you further icon_wink.gif I tried a small container of the Pettinice once - it was ok to work with but didn't have much taste - which wasn't a bad thing depending on what flavors you are using with it but I did like the SI more - just my opinion.

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%