Crazy Request... A Cake For Someone Who Doesn't Like Cake...

Decorating By themaker Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm by themaker

themaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
themaker Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:36am
post #1 of 17

Hi - My friend has commissioned me to make the cake for her husband's 40th birthday. The problem is... "he doesn't like cake." She gave me little to go on aside from "he loves anything toll house, peanut butter or caramel."

It's a surfer themed cake - you might have seen the picture I posted asking how you do a wave on this forum.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking I might just do a big cookie/cookie bar on the bottom as a base and then put a cake on top (he can have his cookie and everyone else can have cake?) and then at least use flavors he likes (layers of peanut butter icing and chocolate buttercream with either chocolate chip or just plain white cake).

If anyone has any other ideas... Id love to hear them.

Thanks,
Deborah

16 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 17

Possibly some combination of the below will tantalize the birthday boy. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread with peanut butter cake fillings:

http://tinyurl.com/3bdjqm

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-435733-.html

Peanut butter cakes:

http://tinyurl.com/2oxmdy

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-385243-.html

Chocolate Syrup b/c:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2033-Chocolate-Syrup-Frosting.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Includes recipes, how to glaze and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334973-.html

Worlds Easiest Mud Cake:

http://tinyurl.com/b92cb
(From epicurious.com.)

HTH

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 17

What about the "cake" being Rice Krispies Treats and then you decorate as normal. I've seen this a few times in the Wilton Yearbooks.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 17

I'd also suggest the rice krispies cake, I did one of those in April for a client and just iced as normal. icon_smile.gif It felt very light when I picked it up! haha

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 17

Chocolate chocolate chip cake, with either a peanut butter mousse or caramel bc filling. Or you could do peanut butter cake with chocolate chips and caramel bc. Just some ideas.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 17

Just stick with your idea of a giant chocolate chip cookie cake. You can totally decorate it (I did a Spongebob one in my photos and used CT's to decorate it which you could totally do with the surfing theme). You could then make a dozen cupcakes or something (depending on how big the party is) if you think the cookie cake won't appeal to everyone.

I posted a very easy, VERY YUMMY, "Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie" recipe in the recipe section here.

I've also done stacked giant CC cookies (got the idea from someone here - snowman cake in my photos) where you bake three or four of them in 8" or 10" pans - stack them with layers of BC between them and decorate.

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 17

I did a Brownie and decorated it for a non-cake person.... I think there is a pic in Bio but maybe not... I have also done large cookies decorated..

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 17

bake multiple cookies (you could do chocolate chip toll house with peanut butter chips added) and then stack and put a layer of caramel buttercream between, decorate like a normal cake.

Take a look at my photos, the first one (right now) is a cookie cake (about 6 layers of chocolate chip cookies) that I just stacked and decorated like a regular cake, I just used my normal chocolate chip cookie recipe and it turned out great!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 17

Who says it has to be sweet? Check out this website dedicated to meat cakes (meat loaf "frosted" with mashed potatoes)

A friend sent this link to me a couple of months ago. 1 week sooner and I would have made a meat cake for DH's birthday. Maybe next year.

http://www.blackwidowbakery.com/demo/meatcake/

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 17

Alimonkey.... That site is awesome. I wouldn't have even thought of that, I think it is worth a try somenight!!! Thanks for the link!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 17

Maybe an ice cream sandwich cake? The recipe I used has caramel and hot fudge sauce and toffee chips. You could probably replace the toffee with crumbled choc. chip cookies if you wanted to. You could still decorate it too. Just a thought.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 17

for our wedding this past weekend, my mom made the groom's cake... it was his favorite, her homemade pumpkin pie. We even put a topper on it. I've also done a decorated brownie as a groom's cake before, because the groom didn't like cake. icon_smile.gif
LL

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 17

I've seen a receipe for a peanut buster parfe (no spell check) like the Dairy Queen sundae. It's very good, but I can't find the receipe. It has ice cream, peanuts, caramel and hot fudge sauce and whipped cream topping.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:03am
post #14 of 17

I have a decorated choclate chip cookie for a retirementin my photos. I did it in a 12 x18 pan for a man who didn't like cake. It got rave revues. It wasn't the Toll house recipe.

Ck41500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ck41500 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:34am
post #15 of 17

I saw this cuz my sister was just saying that her fiancee wasn't into cake and they were thinking of a grooms pie for the wedding...

But there is a recipe on Nestles website for a buckeye cake that is basically a fudgy brownie, peanut butter filling(think buckeye candy centers) and chocolate ganache.... Yummm. Although when I make it I double the peanut butter filling!

I also have a recipe like the DQ peanut buster parfait, I think it is on allrecipes.com. It is ice sandwiches layered with hot fudge, peanut butter, peanuts and whipped cream. I did it in a 9x13 pan with whipped cream on top, but I have been told that once it is frozen solid it can be lifted out and frosted on all sides with the whipped cream....

CK415

PS. My DH would have LOVED the pumpkin pie wedding cake!!!

Ck41500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ck41500 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #16 of 17

I saw this cuz my sister was just saying that her fiancee wasn't into cake and they were thinking of a grooms pie for the wedding...

But there is a recipe on Nestles website for a buckeye cake that is basically a fudgy brownie, peanut butter filling(think buckeye candy centers) and chocolate ganache.... Yummm. Although when I make it I double the peanut butter filling!

I also have a recipe like the DQ peanut buster parfait, I think it is on allrecipes.com. It is ice sandwiches layered with hot fudge, peanut butter, peanuts and whipped cream. I did it in a 9x13 pan with whipped cream on top, but I have been told that once it is frozen solid it can be lifted out and frosted on all sides with the whipped cream....

CK415

PS. My DH would have LOVED the pumpkin pie wedding cake!!!

themaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
themaker Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #17 of 17

WOW! You guys are amazing. This has turned into a keeper thread for me. icon_smile.gif Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%