I Did It I Did It!!!!!

Decorating By jennifer293 Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 4:32pm by jennifer293

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 15

I have survived my first catered wedding!! I was asked back in July by my best friends sister to cater her wedding. Originally she was going to have someone else do her wedding cake and I was going to do the groom's cake and all the other food. The price for food was set at 1000.00 and we were wondering if that was going to be enough. Then we decided we would not have groom's cake and we had a brownie display instead along with chicken salad (which we made), croissants, veggies(4 kind) and dip, fruit(5 kind) and dip, nuts, chocolates, cheese and crackers, coffee, tea, and hot cider.

I made all that food for $372.62....WOW icon_eek.gif

For her favors we spent 9 hours dipping 125 caramel apples and wrapping them in cellophane, rbbon and thank you cards.

It was beautiful!!!!

I believe the cake lady only charged her $275.00 and it was a 16,14,12,8 cake!! There was a TON of cake left over!!

It was stressful, but very fun!! I don't want to do it for a living though..I am just so excited that I was able to pull it off!!

Just sharing my excitement!!

Jennifer

14 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 15

Good job!!
thumbs_up.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 15

Sounds wonderful and I love the thought of those caramel apples (one of my all time favs)...great job and congratulations!!! thumbs_up.gif

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 15

Congrats!

You should be very proud of yourself, it sounds like you did a great job. icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 15

Was the cake lady a relative? To charge $275.00 for a wedding cake she was giving her time away.

Your part - Great Job!

jennifer293 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Was the cake lady a relative? To charge $275.00 for a wedding cake she was giving her time away.

Your part - Great Job!

She was not a relative, but I think she may have been a member of the same church or something.

The girls that were cutting the cake were hacking it all up and she even brought them a wilton cutting guide and one of them claimed she used to make cakes. I just watched in horror as they messed it all up, but she wanted those 2 girls to cut it so I stood back and held my tounge...The cake was 3 different flavors and the bride wanted the bottom and the middle flavor to take on the honeymoon, so they proceeded to tell me I could not have it because if they cut another layer the cake would collapse until I showed them that those layers DO COME OFF!!!! icon_wink.gif I got the cake I wanted and I walked away!!! icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone, it really was a lot of fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

jennifer293 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

Sounds wonderful and I love the thought of those caramel apples (one of my all time favs)...great job and congratulations!!! thumbs_up.gif

I do not recommend the apples for favors unless you use the mini apples. We had regular size red apples and they were hard to get coated with caramel and I have many burns on my hands from the hot caramel. They also take about 5 hours to set up, not the 1 hour we were told. Talk about a backache too, I was popping ibuprofen at 4am from the constant stirring and bending and wrapping of apples!! icon_razz.gif

Also do not let them get warm at all after they have been wrapped because all the caramel will melt to the bottom of the cellophane... thumbsdown.gif We learned that the hard way and those got hidden on at the bottom of the display!!LOL

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 15

I'm impressed!!! I was just asked by a girlfriend to act as her wedding coordinator (I'm an organizational/planning/etiquette FREAK) and I've been in a panic about it. You just gave me hope!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:23am
post #9 of 15

The story about the cake cutting is really funny.

I did a wedding where the kids were running around the cake table, I asked them to stop and they just stared at me. I then mentioned it to the coordinator and she looked at me like I should mind my own business. I was a guest and she may not have known I was the one that did the cake. The kids did bump into the table and I could see the cake tilting to one side. I had to just walk away and tell myself it's not my problem. I've learned to take a picture of the cake once I've set it up so if something happens I can say I had it put together.

I want to mention that I did a Graduation cake back in the Summer and the same kids running around the table caused the legs on the table to fold and the cake went flying across the floor (it was funny to see). At least everyone had gotten a piece of cake before it happened. Same thing I had to walk away and tell myself It's not my problem.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:30am
post #10 of 15

great job!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:34am
post #11 of 15

It all sounds yummy. I wish you could have squeezed a caramel apple through the monitor to me.

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:44am
post #12 of 15

I am happy to hear that everything went well. Congradulations!!!!!!!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:35am
post #13 of 15

WOW! GREAT JOB!!!!!

I remember you posting this before, and was waiting to see the outcome.

How much time did it take? May have to pick your brains in a few months!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:49am
post #14 of 15

That's wonderful news! I'm glad you were a success!

jennifer293 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

WOW! GREAT JOB!!!!!

I remember you posting this before, and was waiting to see the outcome.

How much time did it take? May have to pick your brains in a few months!

Well the apples were the biggest time taker those were made on Thursday..and we got at the church at 12:30 on Friday and were done with all the food by 6:00. That way everything was cut and on the dishes to be displayed on and all wrapped in saran wrap in the refridgerators. On Saturday, all we had to do was make the coffee, tea and warm the hot cider with cinnamon sticks and prepare it. They already had the food table decorated all I had to do was work on the display and this took me about 3 hours because I am a perfectionist and I had things tilted and and up on boxes, candles EVERYWHERE and I had the croissants flowing out of a wicker basket. It was really pretty and I took a picture of it, but they had turned out all the lights in the reception hall so you cannot see anything. I also "AQUIRED" quite a few sahara roses, red roses, berries and greenery for the display from the flower lady.. icon_lol.gif We were all done with everything and candles lit by 2:45 and we were sitting in the sanctuary at 3:00 to watch her walk down the aisle.

I would be more than happy to let you pick my brain.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%