Clay Gun Questions!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm looking into purchasing a clay gun for fondant use and I'm wondering what brands are out there and what works for you. Also If anyone knows where to purchase one in Canada that would be a great help!!
Thanks!

7 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:12am
post #2 of 8

Michaels have a couple to choose from, just make sure not to buy the cheap green plastic kids' one. It's too flimsy to handle fondant. There is also one that looks like it would work better for around $40, and with a coupon it would be more affordable.
Natalie.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #3 of 8

SugarCraft has a fantastic one! I bought it at the ICES convention & love it! Very sturdy & easy to use~

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

SugarCraft has a fantastic one! I bought it at the ICES convention & love it! Very sturdy & easy to use~

Kiwi777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi777 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

I agree...the Sugarcraft gun is wonderful. If you soften the fondant with a bit of shortening before putting it in the gun barrel it will be a lot easier to handle.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:53am
post #6 of 8

I have the black & red Sugarcraft gun (expensive=$35+) and I really hate it. Besides needing to soften the fondant with crisco, I also don't feel that the length of a rope you get out of it is really worth all the effort.

I bought the Makins shiny green metal clay extruder from Michael's using a coupon (<$20) and I love it. The barrel is long, so the ropes you get can be 18 inches+, depending the diameter of the hole in the disk you choose. It's easy to clean, and you don't have to add as much crisco to the fondant because of the twist turn handle (also no pressure on your hand this way). It comes with lots of disks and you can buy an additional set with another 10 disks for about $6 with another coupon.

http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-popup_image-pID-745/index.html?zenid=f137b09ce79ba5d33c003557fa6fdc0f

HTH
Rae

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 8

I've seen this page posted more than once. I think they're supposed to hold a lot of clay/fondant and seem like a good price. I don't have one though.

http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at michaels and see what they have available! Thanks for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%