Profiteroles

Decorating By Dolly_Bird26 Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 4:58am by moydear77

Dolly_Bird26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolly_Bird26 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:35am
post #1 of 17

I've been asked to make a Profiterole Tower for a friend/co-workers baby shower and all weekend I have been trying to make them and I just can't seem to get them right. The first recipe I tried, the mix ended up really runny. They puffed up a little bit but not enough. The second and third recipes I tried, the mix was really thick, didn't rise and were really hard like rock cakes. So does any one have any tips or recipes that they would be willing to share with me????

Sorry it's so long, Thanks for reading,

Kristy

16 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 17

I've made them a few times and I'm sorry to say they didn't come out the same each time I made them - usign the same recipe each time.

I have heard that if there's too much humidity in the air, they don't turn out right (too dense, don't puff up, etc.). My friend's grandmother used to tell her not to make them if there was rain in the forecast!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 17

pROFITEROLES ARE NOT EASY TO MAKE AND YOU NEED sorry, hundreds of them for a decent size tower/ good luck/ a lot of work........and difficult to master.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 17

Gad, sounds like cream puffs would be easier. Good luck!

Galxcbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galxcbaby Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 17

I've made them a few times and people have always raved. I'll try and find the recipe. The hardest part was filling them, I had a friend help me and it was a bit messy.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 17

I have a great recipe..went to a cooking class in the spring and that is what they made...have to dig up the recipe...will post it. This recipe wasn't hard ...both my son (who loves to cook) and I have made them and they turned out fantastic so it is a proven recipe....we also ate them at the class and even thinking of them, I would like to eat a few now!!!!

The filling we got was savoury so I can't help you with that..she said that they could be used with sweet filling...

Bye for now..while I look in the er...recipe box...I mean file....

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 17

I used to make them every week or so at my old job in the Pastry Dept. of a huge restaurant. It took me about 200 profiteroles to build the large towers (croquembouche) for weddings. They were each piped inside with a lighter pastry cream cut with whipped cream, chilled, dunked in boiling caramel and built freehand...no cone or support system inside.

It was a LOT of work, incredibly messy and time consuming. We also only did them on-site and would never be able to move them via a car or van. They were just too fragile and tall, about 2.5 to 3 feet usually!!

I did get really confident at them finally, but it took a long time to get the building and angling part down pat. (Caramel gets too cold, too hot, too dark, crystallizes, etc.) I built them like a brick wall, one profiterole fitting between the crack of the two profiteroles in the line beneath it.

Here are 2 of my photos:
LL
LL

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 17

Pate a Choux (despite the title, it is what you make cream puffs from..that is just another name of profiteroles)

1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1 tsp sugar (leave out if filling will be savoury)
pinch salt
5 eggs
2 tbsp milk as needed

Melt the butter in the water and bring to boil...Add the flour, salt and sugar all at once and stir until it forms a ball and there is a starchy film on the bottom of the pot (cook on med)
Take off heat and cool slightly...add the eggs one at a time beating each one in completely before adding the next. If the mix seems too stiff, add the extra milk a bit at a time

Place in a piping bag and pipe onto parchment lined baking sheet...remember the puffs will be more than double in size when baked so leave room between them. You can just spoon the mix on to the baking sheet if you are not that particular about shape...if you are, use the piping bag..

Bake at 350 until all signs of moisture have gone and they are crisp....the recipe said for 18 +/- minutes but mine were in there for at least 25-30 I believe...just start checking after say 20 minutes. I made tiny ones (appetizer size) so you might have to cook longer if your are med size

Let cool...you can poke a hole in the bottom with a wooden spoon handle and fill.

I froze unfilled ones and they were great so you can do that too...
I know the measurements might be an issue for you in Australia..I will try and find the link to the good conversion...
Edited to read: I never made a croquembouche tower so I have no experience with that...just made dozens of small puffs (not stacked) which turned out great for a few events...I see that Antonia74 has posted and she is a TRUE chef..follow her advice....

HTH
Jane

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 17

I have a tried and tested recipe that I've been using for over 10 years, I find it really easy to make and they always come out perfect:

Choux pastry

2.5 oz / 65grams plain flour
pinch of salt
2 oz / 50grams butter
1/4 pint / 150ml water
2 eggs (beaten)

Sift the flour and salt and put to one side (you'll need quick access to it later). Put the water and butter in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter melts, then bring water to the boil.

Once boiling, remove from heat and immediately tip the flour into the pan, beat rapidly until the mixture sticks together in a ball and leaves the sides of the pan clean (it will be very thick at this point), then leave to cool.

Once the mixture is cool, add the beaten eggs a little at a time, beating the mixture well each time (when you first start mixing, it seems like the egg won't combine with the mixture, but then it will just come together). The mixture must be dropping consistency, but stiff enough to hold it's shape (you may not need last spoonful of egg).

Lightly grease a baking sheet, and place small spoonfuls of the mixture (or pipe using a plain tip) on it (remember they will increase in size, so space well apart). Cook at 220C / 425F - Gas 7 for 30-40 minutes.

Once cooked split or make a small hole in each profiterole to release the steam, so they don't get soggy inside (I find that a small hole in the bottom made with the tip of a knife is sufficient) and leave to cool.

I have only ever made these filled with whipped cream and covered in choc sauce, and although the pastry is savoury, they are delicious! They are quite crisp when first made, but they soften overnight ( I store them in an airtight container).

Hope this helps,

Kelly

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 17

Sounds like you just need to cook the mixture longer. Cook until there is a thin film on the bottom of the pan and dry but still stirrable.

Dolly_Bird26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolly_Bird26 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you all for your replies. I will try some of the recipes that you have posted and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Kristy

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 17

antonia74,

Thanks for the pictures; those tiers are amazing.

Who knew pastry could lead to structural engineering.....

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks JaneK I love profiteroles with fresh cream and chocolate/ shall give your recipe a go. Thanks

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:51am
post #15 of 17

my dumb behind thought that was a sexual term....lol

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:54am
post #16 of 17

I never even heard of this word until I was watching something on the Food Network recently. Then I saw this post a couple days ago and I swear I can't stop saying " Profiterole" over and over in my head. It's just one of those words, ya know?! icon_biggrin.gif They look great!

KimAZ

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:58am
post #17 of 17

I have a sad story! So a made a whole batch of these filled with pastry cream. I even dipped them in caramel and drizzled them chocolate. My husband dropped them off at my daughters school PTA meeting. They magically vanished. No one knows what happened to them! I was so mad because they are so time consuming. I even made the pastry cream!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%