Am I The Only One That..................

Decorating By johnniekake Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 11:38pm by Amy729

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 16

refridgerates decorated cakes???The reason I ask is because I read on here about accidents happening(cake falling apart) or animals getting into the cakes.

I ALWAYS refrigerate my finished cakes for at least 24 hours before delivery or pick up........so that they wont slide or fall apart or whatever.
This also includes fondant covered cakes with heavy decoration.I live in Florida and its just to hot not too.(and I dont have any problem with gooey fondant(I use Satin Ice)

just wandering????????????????????????

15 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 16

I refridgerate everything too. Unless i have something that is to large for my fridge, then i crank the ac down as far as i dare then block off a room for the cake. i don't have any pets to get into anything and my children are old enough to know that if they get in to it they will pay dearly.

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 16

I always refrigerate mine whether they need to be or not. It makes me feel more secure about the stability, especially when driving somewhere with the cake.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 16

Exactly why I have a cake fridge.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 16

Me too! They just transport better that way. I used to have issues with icing blow-outs (a poof of icing somewhere on the cake that would just, well, looked like someone BLEW it out from the inside). I mentioned this to a friend who worked in a bakery. She said they got that ALL the time but when she moved to a different bakery where they refrigerated all of their decorated cakes, it was no longer a problem. Now that I refrigerate, it is no longer a problem for me either! YAY!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 16

Ditto. I've learned that refrigerating makes for a better taste and safer cake.

And I mentioned it in another post, but my parents are the BEST!!!

They bought an extra freezer for the 'family' but everyone knows it was for me. I LOVE IT!!!! It's a stand up (?) freezer. My dad found it used in the paper and it was a GREAT buy. My daddy loves me icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif (Can you tell that he spoiled us just alittle growing up? icon_wink.gif

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 16

You know I hear this alot. With the fondant cakes don't they sweat though, once they come to room temp?

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 16

Hmm, I'm curious about that too. I don't/haven't really worked with fondant.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 16

I refridgerate all my cakes also. I have recently started using Satin Ice and have wondered about the same thing.

I noticed on one cake I did that after it was cold from the fridge I put my satin ice deco's on they started to get wet. Unfortunetly I had to deliver the cake so I never did see what ended up happening as it all came to room temp. I was soo worried about though.

AnNyone have any suggstions about refridgerating cakes with Satin Ice? or any fondant for that matter

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 16

I always refrigerate my fondant cakes. They do sweat but doesnt seem to bother it once it comes to room temp. Never had an issue with anything dripping or colors running or anything.

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 16

As I mentioned earlier, I refrigerate all my cakes whether buttercream or fondant. I use Satin Ice and and sweating has never been a problem. When the cake comes to room temperature it looks fine.

johnniekake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 16

GOOD I knew I couldnt be the only one!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Once the fondant comes to room temp (on cake)it looks & tastes fine.We can hand paint on fondant and the color doesnt drip or run.Its really never an issue even on super humid days!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 16

What about MMF or Michelle Fosters's Delicious Fondant? Can they be refridgerated?

johnniekake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 16

My experience with mmf it sweats and gets to sticky so I just wont mess with the stuff....not sure about the other you mentioned.......Wilton brand gets tacky but will dry out ........tastes like crap icon_razz.gif

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 16

I use Rhonda's MMF recipe and the fondant does sweat when I take it out of the fridge, but it evaporates within an hour and looks normal again after that. I usually take my cakes in and out of the fridge as I am working on them.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 16

Has anyone tried to refridgerate Michelle Foster's Delicous Fondant? That is what I use most of the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%