Help!! Strawberry Filling Disaster! Asap!!

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 26 Nov 2006 , 3:21pm by misterc

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:19am
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I made strawberry filling and it's not getting thick! I added extra cornstarch. Should I boil it longer to make it thicker or should I let it sit longer in the freezer to thicken up?? I've only made it once and didn't have this problem!! icon_cry.gif

I'm making cakes for my shower tomorrow and this is not good!

12 replies
hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:23am
post #2 of 13

So sorry wish I could help hope someone can sooooooooooon,good luck

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:26am
post #3 of 13

I've never made fruit fillings from scratch. The only advise I can give you is to use some fruit preserves. Everytime I use fruit as a filling I use Smuckers fruit preserves. They are great, they don't bleed through the cake and you don't have to do anything but open the jar!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:31am
post #4 of 13

It could be that you didnt add enough cornstarch but that also depends on how long you have had it in the fridge for. It will take time to set up if its been in their for awhile then you could try reheating it and adding more starch and boiling it a little longer. Sorry not much help I know

jessieb578 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:33am
post #5 of 13

thanks for the help!! I'll try to boil it a little longer....hopefully that will work!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:33am
post #6 of 13

What is your recipe for fruit filling? Just pureed fruit and cornstarch?

My only suggestion is if you have any gelatin to use some. Its what I use in my fruit fillings.

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:33am
post #7 of 13

I havent attempted making strawberry filling for a cake, but when I make strawberry sauces I keep them boiling to make them thicker. The longer is on the stove the more the juices will reduce.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:37am
post #8 of 13

When I made raspberry filling from scratch (cornstarch too) it thickened as it cooled...it is the same as when you make custard...it seems too thin and when it cools it "sets"..
Hope that helps...don't add too much cornstarch or you might have a very very thick mixture...

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:38am
post #9 of 13

after u cook it a little longer, chill it good icon_smile.gif that should help - good luck

jessieb578 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:38am
post #10 of 13

my recipe is the fruit, sugar, cornstarch and that's it! I think I'm going to have to try the ol' Smuckers fruit for now and then try to boil it down to save for another cake!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:45am
post #11 of 13

Cornstarch thickens when it starts to boil or it turns clear. 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch will thicken 1 cup of liquid to pudding consistancy but it will not set up until it is cold. You don't have to keep on cooking it. If your proportions of cornstrach to liquid isn't correct, disolve the right amount of cornstarch in a small amount of cold water add it to the fruit liquid and cook till clear. Actually your best bet is to wait and see if it sets up when cold and then try adjusting the recipe with more corn starch disolved in water.

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:52am
post #12 of 13

Your recipe is close to mine. I just use gelatin instead of cornstarch. Both are thickeners so it should be the same. I find if I use gelatin I don't have to use as much sugar if I don't want to. Which is good when I have a diabetic father.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:21pm
post #13 of 13

WOW- I have always used smuckers, I think I am going to have to try and make my own!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%